Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

Stewart was sort of a deer in the headlights today. She's way too important for that to continue.

If Scott can't hit this girl, she really needs to drag a bunt or two. She's going to have a few more chances. 

A lot of that loss falls on MW and crew, IMO.  Poor decision to start CG (who was shaky against a pretty bad NW team), poor pitch calling when she's in there, needed to pull her sooner.  We know we are facing their lefty ace and we make no adjustments until the 6th inning.  No small ball at all.  Just baffling.  

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

One issue with a heavy righty lineup tomorrow is all our pinch righties play corner IF.  

I don’t think Mike is going to make mass changes to the lineup. I just hope we go small ball with our lefties, as all of them are capable of laying down bunts for infield hits. 

We need to play loose, with our hair on fire, like we have nothing to lose.  That's what we did in 2022 and what TAMU did tonight.  When we play tight as if we just are on defense constantly, we shit the bed and press.   

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think Mike is going to make mass changes to the lineup. I just hope we go small ball with our lefties, as all of them are capable of laying down bunts for infield hits. 

Agree.  I would like to see Hunter in there though, even if only to break up the three Lefties that open our lineup.  She's shown the moment is not too big for her, and unlike our lefties against kennedy's curve, she has shown you can't just fuck around and pitch outside to her.  

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

We need to play loose, with our hair on fire, like we have nothing to lose.  That's what we did in 2022 and what TAMU did tonight.  When we play tight as if we just are on defense constantly, we shit the bed and press.   

Read an interview with Amanda Scarborough.    She said Texas has the most pressure being the #1 seed and expected to advance to the WCWS.   In Trisha Ford's only 2nd year aggy is loose and playing with house money. 

I did not have the opinion her statement was pro aggy but made a good point.    As stated above by others,  the last 2 innings were very, very important to give momentum and create doubt for aggy.    We got Kennedy to over 100 pitches today when at first it did not look like we would.    This is not baseball,  but in this heat it matters.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

TK gotta be on tomorrow. I have faith 

Texas will win the next two, mark it down. That was the best version of the ags and we played like dogshit. Mike will have them ready to go tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They only have one pitcher. Our girls should know better the next two games. 

You really only need 1 ace pitcher on your staff in softball. Sure it helps to have depth, but softball pitchers can throw 150+ pitches in a game and be ready to throw another 100 pitches the next day. It's why a team like Stanford is really dangerous in the post-season despite having just an okay season. 

• Like 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

You really only need 1 ace pitcher on your staff in softball. Sure it helps to have depth, but softball pitchers can throw 150+ pitches in a game and be ready to throw another 100 pitches the next day. It's why a team like Stanford is really dangerous in the post-season despite having just an okay season. 

I’m aware, but it seems like our girls were starting to tee off late. Some of our better girls won’t be as bad as they were today and a lot of pitches is a lot of pitches even in softball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well, Stanfords pic just gave up 3 runs to LSU in T1.  

45 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m aware, but it seems like our girls were starting to tee off late. Some of our better girls won’t be as bad as they were today and a lot of pitches is a lot of pitches even in softball. 

Righties were mostly.  Our lefties were 2/15 against Kennedy.  TAMU will ride her just like we did with Dolcini in 2022.  She will throw until her arm falls off.  

She likes to throw velo and our plan was to puff out our tits and show we got that shit.  Let the lefties swing away.  It was a terrible plan.  We played right into her and Ford's hands with Kennedy's curve and offspeed.  Blue giving them bullshit off the plate on the curve didn't help.  Anyway, Ford won round 1 against White.  

Here's some "fun facts" provided in the Texas Sports recap as the team looks towards a game 2 rebound

• The Longhorns have only lost back-to-back games once this season: Saturday, March 30 at then-No. 8/10 Oklahoma State (0-3) and Friday, April 5 against then-No. 1 Oklahoma (2-5). 
  • UT has not lost back-to-back games at Red & Charline McCombs Field since Saturday, March 11, 2023 against then-No. 13/9 Alabama (3-4, in 11 innings) and Sunday, March 12, 2023 against Texas State (4-5, in nine innings). 
  • A Texas softball team has not lost back-to-back seven-inning games at home since Saturday, May 1, 2021 against then-No. 11/9 Oklahoma State (1-5) and Sunday, May 2, 2021 against then-No.11/9 Oklahoma State (4-6). 
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sun came up this morning.

Many remember the Arkansas Fayetteville Super Regional in '22 when we lost game 1,  then won the next 2 for MW's first trip to the WCWS with Texas.    4  of today's starters were on that team (Dayton, Maloney, Scott, Washington) with Czech, Cimusz, and Simpson.     May they inspire the others.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, torre said:

Sun came up this morning.

Many remember the Arkansas Fayetteville Super Regional in '22 when we lost game 1,  then won the next 2 for MW's first trip to the WCWS with Texas.    4  of today's starters were on that team (Dayton, Maloney, Scott, Washington) with Czech, Cimusz, and Simpson.     May they inspire the others.

Win today with TK and then I think you gotta go Czech tomorrow 

LSU stomped Stanford. Canady can’t pitch all 3 games and LSU wasn’t fooled by her 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Win today with TK and then I think you gotta go Czech tomorrow 

LSU stomped Stanford. Canady can’t pitch all 3 games and LSU wasn’t fooled by her 

I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen Estelle much lately.  CG and MM have been pretty inconsistent as of late.  Maybe Czech looks shaky in pens or something.   

15 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

If we don't put every right hander we have in the lineup vs this pitcher next time we face her, Mike screwed up.

Who do you replace? Washington is the weakest batter in the line-up. Maybe you can put Goode in the OF, but will she better than any of the lefties against a lefty? And she's not a slapper. Sure, Hunter in the lineup would be nice, but you can't replace Jolie with Hunter and I don't know if either one can play 2nd? You certainly can't take Stewie out when she can change the game with 1 swing. There are no great options or Mike would have done it. Texas biggest weakness all season has been going against a good lefty. Obviously it's a strength against a righty.

I  would've like the idea of Czech coming in when Mac hit the 2 batters, but aggy doesn't have the left heavy line-up like Texas. The secret weapon of Czech doesn't do much against aggy.

Can Teagan pitch today without the jitters? My biggest fear in game 1 was just what happened. I would've been fine with Mac starting game 1 to help settle the nerves of the younger pitchers. Citlaly may not have walks, but getting behind in the count and having to throw a meatball right down the middle is the same thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Who do you replace? Washington is the weakest batter in the line-up. Maybe you can put Goode in the OF, but will she better than any of the lefties against a lefty? And she's not a slapper. Sure, Hunter in the lineup would be nice, but you can't replace Jolie with Hunter and I don't know if either one can play 2nd? You certainly can't take Stewie out when she can change the game with 1 swing. There are no great options or Mike would have done it. Texas biggest weakness all season has been going against a good lefty. Obviously it's a strength against a righty.

If Kennedy goes again, I would pull one of Maloney, Dayton, or Henry and put in a righty that can play corner OF or 3rd.  

Also, Washington is a far superior hitter to Goode.  It's not close.   

Anyone know if Singleton is suspended today  ?    Or if umpire crew chief/NCAA can waive the rule ?   Not sure,  what I found is below.   Big loss if he is suspended,  always provides in game consult with the hitters.

Penalties for Coach Ejection

The ejected coach must leave the playing field and dugout area immediately and is not allowed to communicate with the team or umpires.

The ejected coach is suspended for the next regularly scheduled contest (one game).

The suspended coach is not allowed to participate in any manner during the suspension.

Additional Notes

A coach who is ejected from a game can appeal the decision to the NCAA.

The NCAA Softball Rules Committee has the authority to eject a coach from a game for unsportsmanlike conduct or misconduct.

Coaches are expected to maintain a professional demeanor and not engage in behavior that is deemed unsportsmanlike.

References

NCAA Softball Rules Book

NCAA Ejection and Post-Participation Ejection Rule

NCAA Softball Misconduct Rule

https://search.brave.com/search?q=ncaa+softball+rule+for+coach+ejection&source=desktop&summary=1&summary_og=87625380d7ac5d54e9a027