Monsieur Spade - Clive Owen, Scott Frank, AMC

WBT

I watched the trailer and agree it looked good. I believe it's coming to Acorn, as well. Sepinwall just put out a review calling it a big disappointment given all the talent involved.  https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/monsieur-spade-review-clive-owen-detective-amc-sam-spade-scott-frank-1234941016/ Overall on RT the critics seem to like it. (80%). Only 6 episodes.

• Rage+1 1

On 1/14/2024 at 9:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

Watched it. I think Clive Owen is a smooth mofo. But there were definitely elements that confused me…we had a jumping timeline, right?

Just watched. Yeah that was a little abrupt!

Watched the second ep tonight and really liked it too.  The girl is good.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:05 PM, WBT said:

Not a bad retirement plan to marry a collaborator widow and then inherit her estate.

Who likes skinny dipping in the pool

Loving it. Of course, I loved “The Maltese Falcon”. 

“This will get you in good with your boss”. 

The cemetery scene- Sam is losing his fastball to fall for that ruse at first. 

I think it will turn out that Teresa is Sam’s daughter. 

Edited by statsman

8 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

It bothered me that he never ate the omelet, even after he got the waiter to bring pepper.   I would have scarfed that thing immediately.

Jean-Pierre was kind of spraying as he talked. I get it. 

• Like 1

They dropped two episodes last night, with the conclusion for next week, I think. 

I don’t know that they view the character as I do…I remember the last act in “The Maltese Falcon”: Spade is the only unarmed man in the room of thugs, and he uses his wits and his balls to be able to be the only one walking out alive and free. That’s the guy I’m waiting for. 

I mean, it’s well written; Spade doesn’t believe in coincidences, even when they save his life. When talking to someone that knows something, like the priests, he’ll drop some piece of information they want, casually, to see how they respond. 

I hope we get a fun and satisfying ending. 

Edited by statsman

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Really? I have it set to record series, and I didn’t get episode 5. And I looked online, and there’s no commentary about it, says it comes out feb 11?

Yes, both 4 and 5 recorded on YoutubeTV for me. I didn't realize it and watched 5 before I knew i missed the other one.

Yes, both 4 and 5 recorded on YoutubeTV for me. I didn't realize it and watched 5 before I knew i missed the other one.

Huh. Must be a glitch. I just pulled it up on my DVR box and looked for episodes, and it confirmed that 4 is recorded, 5 is scheduled for next Sunday.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:05 PM, WBT said:

First episode was good.  Lot of ins, lot of outs.

Not a bad retirement plan to marry a collaborator widow and then inherit her estate.

Along the collaborator lines. German millionaires don’t like public scrutiny. In fact, there are some super wealthy Germans that you can’t find their picture. Very similar to Rolex. Try to dig into their business and see what you find. Very hush, hush. 

Spoilers

-Do any of the explanations about the kid, offered up by the English, explain why people would be killed to get him?

-the crazy monk that killed six nuns and was spirited back to Rome after getting knived by Teresa- do we think he really shot the nuns, or did Phillippe, with Teresa lying to protect him?

Edited by statsman

I'm an old/luddite with Comcast and it doesn't show episode 5 airing on actual AMC until Sunday, so the DVR didn't catch it, but it is available on demand right now.

True Detective also isn't airing on actual HBO until Sunday but is supposed to be up on Max on Friday this week.  They don't want to go directly against the Super Bowl.  It's kind of weird that they still consider people watching shows when they actually air but I guess they do.

Edited by WBT

I have it set to record on my YTTV account.  I went to my library on Sunday and played the the most recent episode, which was 5.  When they started talking about the body in the pool I realized something was amiss. I went to play episode 4 and it wouldn’t let me because it was only 7:30 and the episode hadn’t aired yet.  I had to wait 30 minutes to watch it and then go back and rewatch episode 5 which played fine out of my library

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler-

So, Spade went to the cemetery to meet Philippe, realized he was duped, that the point was to get him out of the house. The two OAS guys are there, and Henri (working for French military) saves him. The guy that Henri “winged” is dead in the pool, shot in the head. 

It was Philippe that shot that guy, right? He did go to the house, to get Teresa? And killed the OAS guy with his rifle? Why? Was he afraid the guy had info?

Edited by statsman

Thoughts- “The Maltese Falcon” was never about Spade getting the bird (which turned out to be fake); it was about him getting the perp that got his partner killed. 

Similarly, this was not about solving the mystery of the kid; it was about him getting Teresa through alive and unharmed. 

The finale seemed very odd in tone. I guess I hadn’t realized how many different factions were chasing the kid and then putting them all in the same room at the end with a deus ex machina authority figure felt like a cross between an Agatha Christie Poirot ending and the end of “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.”  

BTW, Alfre Woodard looks amazing for a 72 year old woman. I haven’t seen her in anything in decades and she looks virtually unchanged. 

I also am now interested in visiting the town of Bozouls, which really has that big chasm running through it.