Sugar - Colin Farrell, LA Private Investigator, Apple TV, April 5

Posted (edited)

I really have enjoyed the show, and going back through the episodes I’m sure there are clues about the big reveal.  But it’s too late to drop with only 2 episodes left - they’ve dragged us into a straightforward but very well executed film noir detective/missing person story (but always with the unknown of who he is, and who “they” are). Of course I assumed “they” are all spies of some sort, but the reveal is a very disjointed jump into a different show and genre. Assuming they get a Season 2, will see if they can take the “new” show in the right direction. The only thing I think is really interesting about the reveal is that it explains why he’s so obsessed with film - he studied it to learn how to blend in with “us”.

While I’m complaining, I don’t understand the casting of Anna Gunn and Dennis Boutsikaris (although it’s fun to see them, being a big fan of Breaking Bad and BCS). She is 9 years older than Nate Corddry, her son. And Cromwell is 12 years older than Boutsikaris. Odd. 

Edited by Planet Houston

19 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

The prof who we believed was the CIA recruiter was known as the “intergalactic diplomat”. I interviewed with them and didn’t get far as it was too weird or I was too stoned. I interviewed with state and with navy intelligence. That was my big mistake. They would pay for my ma and PhD thru Georgetown, plus I’d go in as a lt JG. Teach at the war college and retire an admiral. The stupidity of youth. Shit man I’ll have to cut my hair and quit weed.

I interviewed with the NSA.  Got all the way to the point that I was one of the last ones not selected  (they took 5 for the position I applied for with PhD's, I only had my BA at the time).  Went and did the 5 day interview process at one of their off sites not far from Langley actually.  That was an interesting few days.  

On 4/11/2024 at 10:24 PM, mchookem said:

what is going on lol

Jason Bourne + Unbreakable + Highlander?

no idea, but we're in 😜

noticed this, some of the weird perspective shots. otherwise it's pretty good looking.

well. i was in the ballpark lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2024 at 10:02 PM, Texzilla588 said:

I guess I thought that group he visited was a bunch of former spooks working for some kind of agency. I got friends in various intelligence agencies and most have multilingual capabilities. A buddy from fucking Nesbitt MS with state speaks Spanish, Russian, Farsi, Japanese, and Arabic. Noe hay I see the rest it all makes sense

I call bullshit on this one.  First off, no one from Mississippi is smart enough to master one language, much less multiple.  And they sure as shit wouldn’t be a bouncing from Spanish to Russian without learning French or Italian, and then to Japanese (Russian and Japanese are widely considered among the two most difficult to learn).  And if you were learning languages for career advancement you’d never learn Farsi or Japanese ahead of Mandarin.  

It sounds like he has enough comprehension to perform party tricks and found an easy mark.  

13 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I call bullshit on this one.  First off, no one from Mississippi is smart enough to master one language, much less multiple.  And they sure as shit wouldn’t be a bouncing from Spanish to Russian without learning French or Italian, and then to Japanese (Russian and Japanese are widely considered among the two most difficult to learn).  And if you were learning languages for career advancement you’d never learn Farsi or Japanese ahead of Mandarin.  

It sounds like he has enough comprehension to perform party tricks and found an easy mark.  

Excellent message board detective work. 10 internet points awarded to you sir. You've got him good!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I'd like to reiterate how amazing this show is...the acting is some of the best I've seen in a series in a long time...across the board.

I mean even the dog and cat are great, lol.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.

Well, back when we were in school was the 70’s. Japanese and Arabic were the hot languages to learn then. I lasted 3 semesters on Arabic myself, it made no sense to me. What do you mean no vowels? Should have taken Japanese.

The others came from intense language schools for various postings I assume.

3 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Well, back when we were in school was the 70’s. Japanese and Arabic were the hot languages to learn then. I lasted 3 semesters on Arabic myself, it made no sense to me. What do you mean no vowels? Should have taken Japanese.

The others came from intense language schools for various postings I assume.

My neighbors across the street are awesome people.  She's from Mexico, he's from Egypt.  She speaks fluent Spanish, of course.  He speaks fluent Arabic.

They have two beautiful daughters, and they both speak...English. 

English was the only thing spoken in the household.    Fucking shame.   Sam doesn't drink, but he goes to the liquor store a few times a week to bullshit with the owner in Arabic..

This is really good. Colin Farrell is hitting a great stride at this stage of his career.  The twist would usually throw me out, but it's fascinating.

The filmmaking is excellent. Intercutting from noir classics but not spending too much time with them. I also like how they provide little surprises. Twice tonight, they show people in a room then cut to people entering the room (hotel and classroom). When they arrive the room is empty. They've delayed maybe 15 seconds. Just a clever detail.

I think this may be better film noir than the references. Bravo!

• Hook 'Em 2

Just watched episode 6. Hoo-boy.

I was told “don’t Google it before watching the show” and I would strongly echo that advice. 

I wonder how the folks who were upset about the latest True Detective series having supernatural elements feel about this one?

22 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Which plot twist?  The one in Episode 6 or 7?

Episode 7 I believe. I thought Sugar was just hallucinating at the end of Ep. 6. In 7, I thought they were just talking in code at first but then when I realized they were not talking in code I was like…”this show can’t seriously be going in this direction, can it?”

1 hour ago, ArtisanalLoaf said:

Episode 7 I believe. I thought Sugar was just hallucinating at the end of Ep. 6. In 7, I thought they were just talking in code at first but then when I realized they were not talking in code I was like…”this show can’t seriously be going in this direction, can it?”

If you read the posts on the 1st page, there was definitely a thought that this was coming.  Some of the Surly sleuths noted that the showrunners had Sci-Fi backgrounds, and there were lots of hints along the way.

Spoiler

I thought they were angels, because of the comment made at the first party when Ruby mentioned someone learning to make Angel Food cake, and they all laughed.

Edited by DixonHur

I haven’t watched the finale yet but after learning the twist and then going to read some online show reviews, I found it interesting that they gave the whole show to critics, not just the first 2-3 episodes like they do for a lot of shows. Especially when you have a fundamental genre shift like this one.