Sugar - Colin Farrell, LA Private Investigator, Apple TV, April 5

“Sugar” is a contemporary, unique take on one of the most popular and significant genres in literary, motion picture and television history: the private detective story. Academy Award nominee Colin Farrell stars as John Sugar, an American private investigator on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the beloved granddaughter of legendary Hollywood producer Jonathan Siegel. As Sugar tries to determine what happened to Olivia, he will also unearth Siegel family secrets; some very recent, others long-buried.

The series also stars Kirby (“The Sandman”), Amy Ryan (“The Wire”), Dennis Boutsikaris, Nate Corddry (“Mindhunter”), Alex Hernandez (“Invasion”), and James Cromwell (“Succession”), with guest stars Anna Gunn (“Breaking Bad”) and Sydney Chandler (“Don't Worry Darling”).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

She married Michael Scott as well.

I googled her.  She's got a fucked up real name. 

Amy Beth Dziewiontkowski (born May 3, 1968),[1] known professionally as Amy Ryan, is an American actress of stage and screen. A graduate of New York's High School of Performing Arts, she is an Academy Award nominee and two-time Tony Award nominee.

I'm a huge Colin Farrell fan. He's great in just about everything he does, especially when he's working with Martin McDonagh and Yorgos Lanthimos. 

I was also pissed when HBO didn't renew Perry Mason, so this might help fill the noir detective gap.

Saw the first two episodes and really liked it. Excited about this one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know anything spoilery but I think something is off-the hand shakes, the fact that he’s impossibly good at everything, the fact that Mark Protosevich (show-runner and EP) and Simon Kinberg (EP) have a background in sci-fi.  

I don’t think you can tell a story like The Matrix again but I’m expecting some kind of reveal.  

We really liked the first two episodes.  The show is beautiful.  The city, the architecture, the car.  Everything is cool and nothing is gritty.  Even homeless people and mangy dogs.

Some of the camera angles are not enjoyable. Not sure I need to be looking up characters’ noses that close and at a weird angle. 
My wife (no pics) tapped out after first episode, i am going to stick with it but it is slow going. 

Is he immortal? He spent time in Damascus before the troubles. When was that? 1,000 years ago? His sister’s name is spelled Djen according to the subtitles. That’s an Arabic name. Being immortal would give him time to learn the 4 or more languages he’s fluent in.

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Is he immortal? He spent time in Damascus before the troubles. When was that? 1,000 years ago? His sister’s name is spelled Djen according to the subtitles. That’s an Arabic name. Being immortal would give him time to learn the 4 or more languages he’s fluent in.

I’m waiting to find out what the twist is before I jump in. I’m not watching more werewolf bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That's a really good catch--I like that idea better than it's a computer simulation. 

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Honestly, this would be fucking awesome.  Forever and New Amsterdam tried this in recent years, but this feels far more polished.

what is going on lol

Jason Bourne + Unbreakable + Highlander?

no idea, but we're in 😜

On 4/10/2024 at 2:48 PM, BrazilHorn said:

Some of the camera angles are not enjoyable. Not sure I need to be looking up characters’ noses that close and at a weird angle. 

noticed this, some of the weird perspective shots. otherwise it's pretty good looking.

• Drool 1

On 4/10/2024 at 11:21 PM, CooterBrown said:

This did not age well.

This did not age well.

I still think there’s something else going on. The explanation given was offered up on a plate. It’s a waste of the intrigue built up in the first two episodes to resolve it with 10 seconds of dialog. It’s a red herring.

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I still think there’s something else going on. The explanation given was offered up on a plate. It’s a waste of the intrigue built up in the first two episodes to resolve it with 10 seconds of dialog. It’s a red herring.

Yeah, this is getting into some weird and wild territory.

And it’s the number one streaming series apparently

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/apple-tv-colin-farrell-s-sugar-became-the-most-watched-series-worldwide/ar-BB1lzgUz

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, this is getting into some weird and wild territory.

Loving the homage to noir/detective trope. I'm down for some weird/messed up David Lynch type of world. 

i was like

Spoiler

'wait, is this Chinatown, his daughter and his granddaughter...or...wut'

but that's a different woman, right?? and i still don't get what might be wrong with Sugar, and why he's got this weird M type handler. things are weird. David Lynch is a good comparison.

still 👍

Going back to the sister’s name…I was talking to a friend about the show and how his sister’s name was Arabic and spelled Djen not Jenn. He said “Djen” is genie in Arabic. That has to be an intentional clue about something.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Gonna start this soon. Trailer looks like Present Day Chinatown. Does that seem about right?

Not exactly.

Posted about this on another thread because I got the confused between Apple TV and Max. Farrell's an outstanding actor but I buy into his roles more when he embraces his inner pussy hound instead of stuff like the Penguin, etc.