Port Aransas

Paco

Got the crab stuffed portabellas at La Playa, they did not disappoint.  This is the 2nd year in a row we just walked in off the street and sat down to a table there, which was awesome.  The weather was a little hotter than normal, but I got to watch the UT game while drinking in a pool so no complaints.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:02 AM, kevwun said:

Got the crab stuffed portabellas at La Playa, they did not disappoint.  This is the 2nd year in a row we just walked in off the street and sat down to a table there, which was awesome.  The weather was a little hotter than normal, but I got to watch the UT game while drinking in a pool so no complaints.

I knew you were listening! 😉 best off menu item on the island imho.

Rolling down manana. And while Saturday will be windy, great to go down and get set up for the month.  I'm thinking the warm water may push the good fishing back into October because of water temp.  If you guys are gonna watch the game somewhere I am likely in! with a little wife convincing, or me solo.  I'm gonna try to put on my UT sneakers with ATX - HRN on the back of them.  Weather won't be "beach weather" but Sunday evening and Monday look promising.

And next weekend you could be standing at The Pig Party AND watching the eclipse (clouds permitting!) 

I still think that it would be greatness to get La Playa to let some Horns rent the parking lot and have a tail gate... across from the Blue Water Cowboy... maybe next year...

13 hours ago, horn4life said:

I knew you were listening! 😉 best off menu item on the island imho.

Rolling down manana. And while Saturday will be windy, great to go down and get set up for the month.  I'm thinking the warm water may push the good fishing back into October because of water temp.  If you guys are gonna watch the game somewhere I am likely in! with a little wife convincing, or me solo.  I'm gonna try to put on my UT sneakers with ATX - HRN on the back of them.  Weather won't be "beach weather" but Sunday evening and Monday look promising.

And next weekend you could be standing at The Pig Party AND watching the eclipse (clouds permitting!) 

I still think that it would be greatness to get La Playa to let some Horns rent the parking lot and have a tail gate... across from the Blue Water Cowboy... maybe next year...

well now we need a list of more off menu items that are worth ordering! haha

Edited by NoName

3 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Did it ever clear up?   My plan was to be there but an urgent work project popped up and I’m working my first Saturday in forever…

Clouds kinda broke here on NPI.  I had a great view of it from the backyard.

I assume it was clear a few miles north at Port A.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Did it ever clear up?   My plan was to be there but an urgent work project popped up and I’m working my first Saturday in forever…

Cleared up just in time. 

Great seeing old friends at the new shortys location. The new bathrooms took some getting used to.. they have AC and everything!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

It was a good time at Shorty’s. Surprisingly not that crowded considering it was the eclipse and the Pig Party but we left fairly early so maybe it got busier. Round 2 starts this afternoon at the house. Fajitas and margaritas with some good friends.

I think all the idiots just stopped on NPI and didn't drive the rest of the way to Port A...

18 hours ago, mchookem said:

ok, it may be one of the few surly inside jokes i don't know of, but i have to ask... why is everything always just in your opinion? 🤔  

In the beer thread he used to always post pics of beer without an opinion, and now he post pics with an opinion. Sort of...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 7:37 AM, MissingInAction said:

Cleared up just in time. 

Great seeing old friends at the new shortys location. The new bathrooms took some getting used to.. they have AC and everything!

Hell the bathrooms were unbelievable!  They remind me of the BIP bathrooms at ACL where you could actually feel cold air for a few minutes to cool down. 

We got three long weekends in. Or more accurately my wife got two, and I got three!  Love leaving the Travel Trailer at IB MaGee for the month where only tides and weather determine if we are in Port A or Austin.  We got down on the 5th, and managed 3 straight days of early La Playa.  It was funny because the hostess told the other waiting patrons hoping to get in for the first seating that they needed to be more like us, as it was our 3rd day in a row. 

Unfortunately I missed out on Flounder the first weekend at the Jetty as my buddy caught three a couple yards to my right, and the guy a couple yards to the left caught 4, and me... a big zero.  But the next weekend caught two nice slot reds one day, and put buddy's kid onto another hanging on the beach with us. This last weekend I was solo.  We raced out prior to the bad weather the week before and I was regretting not just taking an hour or so and getting the trailer ready to pull home.  Which left me seeing today's cold front looming and supposedly sketchy weather this last weekend.  Instead met my BIL on Thursday afternoon and we ate at Virginia's and then drifted over to see Selfie at Shorty's.  We got a good laugh at their "Legalize it" song, and their "Vamanos a La Playa, Let's go to the Beach" as well.  

Fishing was sketchy in the surf even when the water looked promising, so I tried something new and hit up the Jetty nubs sticking out from the beach down at the old fish pass.  It's dangerous fishing because of the big drops and uneven footing, but the risk was worth the reward.  In about an hour I picked up a single trout and red slot fish.  I was supposed to go home Sunday morning, but the last warm day in Port A, lured me to fish the AM before heading home.  I woke up at 5:45 and got a pint of large shrimp at Deep Sea Headquarters.  Apparently the right side of the Jetty is preferable, and that left me with the much more precarious left side at the end.  After an early slow start I ended up with a limit of redfish ranging from 24-27-1/2 inches.  Besides having to change a tire on the trailer (new ones dammit) I got home about 8:45 that night.  But it was worth it to catch the limit and enjoy what might be my last Port A fishing day this Year. 

My first limit in a while-

Redfish Jetty Limit.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

A great weekend in NPI with my son and his friends:

- belt sander races at the Gaff

- bonfire on the beach

- flouder gigging (plus two unlucky crabs)

- many hours of kids pushing each other into the pool and chicken fights

Edited by zman13
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 2:45 PM, Ag with kids said:

https://www.facebook.com/1350100063/posts/10232289836772468/?mibextid=7TVuMX

Tidbit about the new bar opening in February....

So, the Grand Opening of this Beach Bum place is Feb 3.

Apparently a group of folks from Lakehills are coming down to check it out, so I guess my Dad and I will be going. 

I'll have my GF be the DD for us to get back to NPI.  She's taking some meds right now and can't drink alcohol.  Sucks to be her.

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2024 at 7:32 PM, Ag with kids said:

So, the Grand Opening of this Beach Bum place is Feb 3.

Apparently a group of folks from Lakehills are coming down to check it out, so I guess my Dad and I will be going. 

I'll have my GF be the DD for us to get back to NPI.  She's taking some meds right now and can't drink alcohol.  Sucks to be her.

how was it? any good?

• 3 weeks later...

was in town this last weekend, quick review:

Friday: great weather. Lunch at Bierhaus - good burger, very good fries and kids enjoyed dinner. swings were great, and they were not too packed. sat inside because of kids. will absolutely return here again. saw someone get shrimp tacos that looked awesome.

Drove around beach, which was nice and weather was great. Wish Saturday had been this nice!

Dinner at Fins, which was excellent as always. kid friendly, very good food (blackened fish and shrimp + kids popcorn shrimp) and were in and out in a reasonable time. this is a spot we will probably end up at every time we are in town with kids.

Saturday: breakfast at Coach's new spot. i really like the place, easy to get in and out of - same excellent breakfast options as before. easy takeout, decent enough coffee.

beach during the morning, but kid didn't really like it (she's still a bit young and afraid of the water) so spent more time driving up and down the beach in golf cart. super windy and cold as hell.

wanted to cook that night, but didn't get to Pauls to pick up some shrimp/fish - decided to order from Fins again but they were not doing take out because of being busy so ordered from Tortugas. was a super easy process, not cheap but didn't expect it to be. had charbroiled fish for me and wife had the crab crusted one, really a damn good meal all the way around and a nice takeout experience (in and out in <1 min)

Sunday: Coach's again with to go for kids/wife. drove along beach, then headed back home.

-

it's a great town. will not be the last time we come to town this year even with kiddos being kiddos. i think my wife would live @ North Padre or Port A in a heartbeat.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

Friday: great weather. Lunch at Bierhaus - good burger, very good fries and kids enjoyed dinner. swings were great, and they were not too packed. sat inside because of kids. will absolutely return here again. saw someone get shrimp tacos that looked awesome.

Ate there twice when I was there in October.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:48 PM, landman said:

Glad to see the random shootings have found their way to Port A.  Geez.😞

Don’t think that shooting was so random. Spring Break attracts a really bad crowd these days, especially down around the mile markets where it happened.

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

At Shorty’s 78th anniversary party.  Great weekend with perfect weather to be down here.  

IMG_6070.jpeg

IMG_6071.jpeg

IMG_6069.jpeg

Hope you tipped Virginia well. I’m still not used to the new location.

I’m still in Costa Rica but will be back in Port A in a week.2 months at “home” and then straight back to CR for most of the summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

We did tip her well, she was done with the crowd by the time her shift ended though lol.  Is there low income housing in Port A?  Where do all those old meth head locals live??  @justhookit There were more than a few at Shorty’s yesterday.  

Haha I probably know most of them. Virginia is good people though.

Most of the locals live in RV parks, but Port A did build the new apartments called Paladium for some low income housing. The current housing situation in Port A is  bad and unsustainable. It’s really, really, really hard to hire decent help in the service industry.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Does anyone actually live in Port Aransas, or is it all short term rentals?

Sometimes seems like nobody actually lives there. Population is around 3800 I think. The short term rental thing has gotten out of control though.

• Hook 'Em 1