Port Aransas

Paco

Guess I am gonna go down even with sketchy weather, and high tides.  Worst case scenario weather sucks and I eat at La Playa every night!  And toss in some Kody's Garlic fish. 

Actually the real worst case scenario is my buddy is going to force me to go into Grumbles and tell him this Pina Colada he likes is good.  Really not wanting to break the seal on my self imposed protest exile, but the arm is gonna get twisted.

14 hours ago, horn4life said:

Guess I am gonna go down even with sketchy weather, and high tides.  Worst case scenario weather sucks and I eat at La Playa every night!  And toss in some Kody's Garlic fish. 

Actually the real worst case scenario is my buddy is going to force me to go into Grumbles and tell him this Pina Colada he likes is good.  Really not wanting to break the seal on my self imposed protest exile, but the arm is gonna get twisted.

Be sure and get some onion rings at Kody's.

They are awesome.

That would have been fun to see them offload!   Well the spotty weather evened up being pretty damn nice, with a one day interruption of very high winds.  Then the heavens bestowed a beautiful day at the beach on Sunday... always stay Sunday!  Front rolling through Friday night provided a hell of a light show.  But like my buddy said when we were debating coming down, 50% chance of rain, means 50% chance we will be sitting on the beach.

Did the usual Kody's and La Playa, but I sure do miss Giggity's.  Being able to stay late at the beach until long after dark and still get a good meal, along with some people watching (zoo observation) is something that cannot be replaced. Giggity's I still morn you. 

The good news is Shorty's look like it will be pretty nice once it's put together. and will be a nice addition to the beach street "entertainment district."  Sunday was gorgeous as you can see. Water was super clear!  I drove up onto a group of folks sharing morning coffee on the beach and pointed out to the surf asking if they had seen the Porpoise in the Surf?  The whirled around and were just trilled to see the porpoise working along with the birds out past the breakers.  They were so excited it probably made their day.  And a beautiful day it was!portalastdayofApril2023.thumb.jpeg.e14c4adfb8d71007126da4ca7547ddc3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

That would have been fun to see them offload!   Well the spotty weather evened up being pretty damn nice, with a one day interruption of very high winds.  Then the heavens bestowed a beautiful day at the beach on Sunday... always stay Sunday!  Front rolling through Friday night provided a hell of a light show.  But like my buddy said when we were debating coming down, 50% chance of rain, means 50% chance we will be sitting on the beach.

Did the usual Kody's and La Playa, but I sure do miss Giggity's.  Being able to stay late at the beach until long after dark and still get a good meal, along with some people watching (zoo observation) is something that cannot be replaced. Giggity's I still morn you. 

The good news is Shorty's look like it will be pretty nice once it's put together. and will be a nice addition to the beach street "entertainment district."  Sunday was gorgeous as you can see. Water was super clear!  I drove up onto a group of folks sharing morning coffee on the beach and pointed out to the surf asking if they had seen the Porpoise in the Surf?  The whirled around and were just trilled to see the porpoise working along with the birds out past the breakers.  They were so excited it probably made their day.  And a beautiful day it was!portalastdayofApril2023.thumb.jpeg.e14c4adfb8d71007126da4ca7547ddc3.jpeg

I'm going next week. Any seaweed issues currently?

I honestly didn't know you could catch bluefin out of Port A. 
Looks like the TX record is 876.

I honestly didn't know you could catch bluefin out of Port A. 
Looks like the TX record is 876.

My son and I caught some this past summer.
Biggest one was about 35 lbsIMG_0629.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, fwtxbevo said:

Not much seaweed Wed/Thurs, but wind and tides brought in some on Friday.  Then Blue Norther wailed and the seaweed was blown out.  I assume it's going to be coming in as soon as the prevailing winds start pushing it.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

They are Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, not porpoises.

Yeah dolphin... or dolphin. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

My son and I caught some this past summer.
Biggest one was about 35 lbsIMG_0629.jpg

Those are blackfin tuna you caught. The giant tuna are bluefin - they average 600 pounds or more and are only caught when they spawn here in the gulf late March through mid May. They are 100+ miles out and take very heavy tackle if you want any chance of getting them to the boat. The gulf wide quota is roughly 10 fish per year.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Those are blackfin tuna you caught. The giant tuna are bluefin - they average 600 pounds or more and are only caught when they spawn here in the gulf late March through mid May. They are 100+ miles out and take very heavy tackle if you want any chance of getting them to the boat. The gulf wide quota is roughly 10 fish per year.

• Haha 1

One new place I discovered was Taqueria Mi Mexico in Aransas Pass on the way back if you take the ferry.  Called them as we boarded the ferry and picked them up on way out.  Homemade tortillas were the bomb for breakfast tacos. Was starting to get a lunch push at 11 am on a Monday so I am assuming the food beyond the breakfast tacos is solid as well, but mainly good for timing with a fast pit stop coming off the ferry.

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, fwtxbevo said:

Was there over the weekend and there was tons of seaweed. Not sure if its part of the large blob that is expected over the course of the summer or not. 

5 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Was there over the weekend and there was tons of seaweed. Not sure if its part of the large blob that is expected over the course of the summer or not. 

Thanks. Plus the weather looks horrible too. Going to be fun.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:33 PM, horn4life said:

One new place I discovered was Taqueria Mi Mexico in Aransas Pass on the way back if you take the ferry.  Called them as we boarded the ferry and picked them up on way out.  Homemade tortillas were the bomb for breakfast tacos. Was starting to get a lunch push at 11 am on a Monday so I am assuming the food beyond the breakfast tacos is solid as well, but mainly good for timing with a fast pit stop coming off the ferry.

Try Taco de Oro on Commercial Street the next time you are driving through Aransas Pass.  Mostly a drive-through operation, though there is inside seating.  In the morning on Friday through Sunday the line for the drive through backs out onto the street but it moves along sufficiently.  Good breakfast tacos.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, ScottS said:

Try Taco de Oro on Commercial Street the next time you are driving through Aransas Pass.  Mostly a drive-through operation, though there is inside seating.  In the morning on Friday through Sunday the line for the drive through backs out onto the street but it moves along sufficiently.  Good breakfast tacos.

I mainly picked Mi Mexico because of the solid reviews Taqueria Mi Mexico because there gas station next to it is closed and is a perfect place for me to pull off and hop right back on the road when pulling our Travel Trailer.  Still jonesing for those homemade tortillas.

Actually this taco talk this reminds me of a conversation I had with a DPS trooper I became friendly with after Harvey.  I was helping a buddy with severe back issues, let contractors into his place to give repair bids on the Harvey flood damage.  I was about the only guy fishing on the beach in Port A, and twice the trooper came up and I happened to hook up was he drove up.  We became friendly and he told me a funny story about he and his wife's retirement plans.  His plan was to tape a tortilla onto their truck's antenna and drive north.  When somebody stopped him and asked what that thing was taped to his antenna, they would stop, put down roots and open a taco shack!  Pretty funny and nice guy, hope he is doing well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, horn4life said:

I mainly picked Mi Mexico because of the solid reviews Taqueria Mi Mexico because there gas station next to it is closed and is a perfect place for me to pull off and hop right back on the road when pulling our Travel Trailer.  Still jonesing for those homemade tortillas.

Actually this taco talk this reminds me of a conversation I had with a DPS trooper I became friendly with after Harvey.  I was helping a buddy with severe back issues, let contractors into his place to give repair bids on the Harvey flood damage.  I was about the only guy fishing on the beach in Port A, and twice the trooper came up and I happened to hook up was he drove up.  We became friendly and he told me a funny story about he and his wife's retirement plans.  His plan was to tape a tortilla onto their truck's antenna and drive north.  When somebody stopped him and asked what that thing was taped to his antenna, they would stop, put down roots and open a taco shack!  Pretty funny and nice guy, hope he is doing well.

Taco de Oro has room for trailers.  There is a detail shop or something like that next door with plenty of room in front.  I see guys with boat trailers there all the time.

Taqueria Mi Mexico is also a solid place.  It is the old Aransas Pass Whataburger location.  I think it is some sort of state law that all Whataburger buildings must be converted to taquerias when vacated by Whataburger.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ScottS said:

Taco de Oro has room for trailers.  There is a detail shop or something like that next door with plenty of room in front.  I see guys with boat trailers there all the time.

Taqueria Mi Mexico is also a solid place.  It is the old Aransas Pass Whataburger location.  I think it is some sort of state law that all Whataburger buildings must be converted to taquerias when vacated by Whataburger.

taquerias in old Whataburgers = good food 

19 minutes ago, fwtxbevo said:

Anyone have a recommendation for best sports bar or regular bar to watch the Warriors/Lakers game tomorrow night?

odd ball answer is try the VFW. But you would likely be Happy at StingRays on beach street as they are the "sports bar" in town.  Decent food and multiple screens if you want the sports bar vibe.  Blue Water Cowboy has a few screens, but my second choice might be Lelo's next to La Playa.  I'm sure they would put have the game on and solid drinks and food.

7 hours ago, horn4life said:

odd ball answer is try the VFW. But you would likely be Happy at StingRays on beach street as they are the "sports bar" in town.  Decent food and multiple screens if you want the sports bar vibe.  Blue Water Cowboy has a few screens, but my second choice might be Lelo's next to La Playa.  I'm sure they would put have the game on and solid drinks and food.

Thank you!

Hey, @justhookit,

Was Shell's bought by the same guy who owns the Holiday Inn Express property and the old Rock Cottages and Laughing Horse properties?  Or is someone going to put a new restaurant there?

Gonna be a lot of units up at Eleventh and G.

Did the guy from Shell's retire?

Edited by abuelo gringo

1 hour ago, abuelo gringo said:

Hey, @justhookit,

Was Shell's bought by the same guy who owns the Holiday Inn Express property and the old Rock Cottages and Laughing Horse properties?  Or is someone going to put a new restaurant there?

Gonna be a lot of units up at Eleventh and G.

Did the guy from Shell's retire?

Yeah the owner of Shell’s is retired. She said it had been coming for awhile and it sucks because we desperately need more good restaurants.

The new owner is putting in a burgers and beer type place there. I think they have other locations in Texas. It’s not at all what we need.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah the owner of Shell’s is retired. She said it had been coming for awhile and it sucks because we desperately need more good restaurants.

The new owner is putting in a burgers and beer type place there. I think they have other locations in Texas. It’s not at all what we need.

Seems like the biggest problem for Port A is getting warm bodies to work.

justhookit - I have two questions for you.  First off have there been adverse effects in the Marina from the addition of the super large ships now able to come into Corpus?  I know the Marina area next to Cline's landing is basically devoid of boats, where in the past they were nearly full or full.  The larger ships put larger wakes into the marina area there (and I assume at Baytree) and I saw some video of waves making an out and back in the marina with a nearly 3 foot wave, slapping the bottoms of the decking between the berths.  I also noticed that there were not as many smaller boats moored in the city marina near Roberts point as I remembered.  Just wondering if it's just Cline's landing or up and down the ship channel.

Second Question - How much will the development of Lake Padre in Corpus impact Port A?  If at all?  Wasn't sure if they were going to have a lot of larger full time moorings or if it was going to be more smaller berths.  Seems like it will cause North Padre to take on more of a Port A vibe with perhaps more of a fishing focus?

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

big house burgers ?

It’s a shallow labor pool around there for sure 

20 hours ago, horn4life said:

Seems like the biggest problem for Port A is getting warm bodies to work.

justhookit - I have two questions for you.  First off have there been adverse effects in the Marina from the addition of the super large ships now able to come into Corpus?  I know the Marina area next to Cline's landing is basically devoid of boats, where in the past they were nearly full or full.  The larger ships put larger wakes into the marina area there (and I assume at Baytree) and I saw some video of waves making an out and back in the marina with a nearly 3 foot wave, slapping the bottoms of the decking between the berths.  I also noticed that there were not as many smaller boats moored in the city marina near Roberts point as I remembered.  Just wondering if it's just Cline's landing or up and down the ship channel.

Second Question - How much will the development of Lake Padre in Corpus impact Port A?  If at all?  Wasn't sure if they were going to have a lot of larger full time moorings or if it was going to be more smaller berths.  Seems like it will cause North Padre to take on more of a Port A vibe with perhaps more of a fishing focus?

Not sure the wakes have much to do with it if you are talking about the handful of slips between Clines and Baytree. My guess is a lot of those boats didn’t come back after Harvey or moved to city marina. Island Moorings is only 20% full too - their problem is pricing and nobody trusts that the channel to get to the ship channel will stay dredged.

As for the 2nd question Port A is developing so fast I don’t think any development on N Padre will impact Port A at all.

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

big house burgers ?

I saw the name a few weeks ago but can’t remember 

23 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Not sure the wakes have much to do with it if you are talking about the handful of slips between Clines and Baytree. My guess is a lot of those boats didn’t come back after Harvey or moved to city marina. Island Moorings is only 20% full too - their problem is pricing and nobody trusts that the channel to get to the ship channel will stay dredged.

No.  The problem is the boats are now getting damaged by the larger wakes.  I will see if I can find the video, but super sharp peaky 3 foot waves knocking the shit out of Clines Landing (not sure about Baytree) they actually had a guy from the Port Authority explain there may be some sort of submerged wave reducers they can install, that sounded like a possibility.  The HOA voted on not building out lifts at least at this point.  I think their Storm insurance doubling had something to do with the desire not to incur that additional expense.

And yes Port A is changing so fast it's mind blowing.  I guess the main impact of the Lake Padre development will be more sustained development where land is available. Port A is going the way of Austin.  You still have some of the vibe, but becoming unrecognizable.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:32 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

While it’s not crystal beach after a Jeep get together trashed, goddamn, so much trash. My young kids kept asking why people litter and don’t care about the earth. It’s fucking embarrassing how shitty Texans are.

Yep, here right now and was sad to see the amount of trash. Each day as we pack up, the kids and I walk around and pick up trash until we fill a trash bag. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 11:54 PM, tx 3 putt said:

big house burgers ?

Passed by the location today on the way back from the beach. It’s called Bier Haus. Looks like they have one other location in Lubbock. And I had forgotten, but they also bought Spaghetti Works awhile back.

On 6/14/2023 at 11:16 AM, justhookit said:

Passed by the location today on the way back from the beach. It’s called Bier Haus. Looks like they have one other location in Lubbock. And I had forgotten, but they also bought Spaghetti Works awhile back.

Are they going to convert Jay's or continue the seafood and spaghetti?

Facebook

Edited by abuelo gringo
add link

First time here in many years, but already thinking about another trip in October to make more use of that beach parking permit.

It's hotter than hell this week. Been taking turns cooking so far but might do Dylans or Gaff for pizza one night.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, PantsTent said:

@Ag with kids what's the seaweed situation like on the island?  Will be there in one week. 

Not on the island, but looking at the various beach cams, looks like the sargasso is on the lighter side.  Like I don't see huge piles of it on the beach, but just a light layer at the high tide mark.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, PantsTent said:

@Ag with kids what's the seaweed situation like on the island?  Will be there in one week. 

Not too bad.  As zman said, lots of cars on the beach.  But, it's a 3 day weekend with 2 holidays so that NEVER helps.  Of course...it's the summer - there WILL be lots of cars on the NPI beaches.  Mid week is a little better...

I avoid it on most weekends over the summer.  Funny how that happens when you move here.  But, now I can go during that mid week when some of the tourists aren't out there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1