National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

Satchel

With Maine joining the compact earlier this week, the US is closing in on being able to select the POTUS by popular vote. To date, states with a combined total of 209 electoral votes have come aboard. We only need a few more states that can provide 61 more electors to ensure the election  of POTUS by popular vote, barring of course, congressional roadblocks and litigation that is sure to come:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/4597982-led-lightbulb-efficiency-rule-savings-american-households/

Spoiler

Maine has become the latest state to join an interstate effort to elect the nation’s president by a popular vote, Gov. Janet Mills (D) announced Monday. 

Mills said she will allow the legislation to become law without her signature, paving the way for Maine to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, a proposal aimed at guaranteeing the presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. 

Under the proposal, each state would give all its electoral votes to the candidate who wins the national popular vote for president, no matter how the individual states voted in an election. 8

The compact, however, is on hold and will not come into play for this November’s election, The Associated Press (AP) reported.

The proposal must receive state pledges that equal at least 270 electoral votes, the number needed to elect a president, Mills said. Sixteen states and Washington, D.C., have already joined the compact, and with the addition of Maine, the law has 209 electoral votes so far, the governor added. 

It is not immediately clear if congressional approval is needed for the compact to be implemented

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s NEVER happening

The cult states have too many electoral votes 

Purple states are the bigger blocker. “Ok, let’s do this and then my state becomes irrelevant and my special interests less compelling and national leaders stop coming to court me and my voters.” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

57 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Purple states are the bigger blocker. “Ok, let’s do this and then my state becomes irrelevant and my special interests less compelling and national leaders stop coming to court me and my voters.” 

52 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s not happening, because even if we could get the final states needed on board SCOTUS would strike the laws down.

I wouldn’t be too sure:

How National Popular Vote Works
Winner-take-all is not in the U.S. Constitution, and not mentioned at the Constitutional Convention.

Instead, the U.S. Constitution (Article II) gives the states exclusive control over the choice of method of awarding their electoral votes—thereby giving the states a built-in way to reform the system.

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors….” 

The National Popular Vote law will take effect when enacted by states with a majority of the electoral votes (270 of 538).  Then, the presidential candidate receiving the most popular votes in all 50 states and DC will get all the electoral votes from all of the enacting states. That is, the candidate receiving the most popular votes nationwide will be guaranteed enough electoral votes to become President. 

Under the National Popular Vote law, no voter will have their vote cancelled out at the state-level because their choice differed from majority sentiment in their state.  Instead, every voter’s vote will be added directly into the national count for the candidate of their choice.  This will ensure that every voter, in every state, will be politically relevant in every presidential election—regardless of where they live. 

The National Popular Vote law is a constitutionally conservative, state-based approach that retains the power of the states to control how the President is elected and retains the Electoral College.  
National Popular Vote has been enacted by 16 states and the District of Columbia, including 4 small states (DE, HI, RI, VT), 9 medium-sized states (CO, CT, MD, MA, MN, NJ, NM, OR, WA), and 3 big states (CA, IL, NY). These jurisdictions have 205 of the 270 electoral votes needed to activate the law.

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The Berlin Wall is never coming down.

Gay marriage will never be legal.

There will never be a college football playoffs.

Donald Trump will never be president...

I'll never have sex with Sydney Sweeney.

Is that how this works?

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I wouldn’t be too sure:

How National Popular Vote Works
Winner-take-all is not in the U.S. Constitution, and not mentioned at the Constitutional Convention.

Instead, the U.S. Constitution (Article II) gives the states exclusive control over the choice of method of awarding their electoral votes—thereby giving the states a built-in way to reform the system.

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors….” 

The National Popular Vote law will take effect when enacted by states with a majority of the electoral votes (270 of 538).  Then, the presidential candidate receiving the most popular votes in all 50 states and DC will get all the electoral votes from all of the enacting states. That is, the candidate receiving the most popular votes nationwide will be guaranteed enough electoral votes to become President. 

Under the National Popular Vote law, no voter will have their vote cancelled out at the state-level because their choice differed from majority sentiment in their state.  Instead, every voter’s vote will be added directly into the national count for the candidate of their choice.  This will ensure that every voter, in every state, will be politically relevant in every presidential election—regardless of where they live. 

The National Popular Vote law is a constitutionally conservative, state-based approach that retains the power of the states to control how the President is elected and retains the Electoral College.  
National Popular Vote has been enacted by 16 states and the District of Columbia, including 4 small states (DE, HI, RI, VT), 9 medium-sized states (CO, CT, MD, MA, MN, NJ, NM, OR, WA), and 3 big states (CA, IL, NY). These jurisdictions have 205 of the 270 electoral votes needed to activate the law.

Did you just wake from a 30 year coma?

Said it on the other thread. The solution is to increase the size of the House with every census. Which we did every census until 1920. Congress passed a 1929 law fixing the House at 435. Repeal it. Supremes can't do shit (to be fair being originalists they shouldn't do shit about the Interstate Compact, but of course they would).

3 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

Said it on the other thread. The solution is to increase the size of the House with every census. Which we did every census until 1920. Congress passed a 1929 law fixing the House at 435. Repeal it. Supremes can't do shit (to be fair being originalists they shouldn't do shit about the Interstate Compact, but of course they would).

While the House is a problem, the Senate is the bigger one.

28 minutes ago, softlynow said:

While the House is a problem, the Senate is the bigger one.

Every additional house seat dilutes the power of an electoral vote from a senator in a small state. If California were equal to Wyoming in representatives per person they would have 70 house reps - and 72 EVs - instead of 54. That's 18 more votes for Biden in the EC. 

Congress determines the number of members. The SC has no say at all. It's explicit in the Constitution. Yeah a Senator might filibuster, but fuck em. Without Sinema or Manchin they could repeal the 1939 law with a bare majority and increase the house easily. Just need to control both chambers of Congress. It's way easier than a constitutional amendment, and probably easier to get through than the vote compact. It's also easily defensible. Who could oppose every American having equal representation? (I suspect some people could, but again - fuck them).

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The Berlin Wall is never coming down.

Gay marriage will never be legal.

There will never be a college football playoffs.

Donald Trump will never be president...

Roe will never be overturned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

Every additional house seat dilutes the power of an electoral vote from a senator in a small state. If California were equal to Wyoming in representatives per person they would have 70 house reps - and 72 EVs - instead of 54. That's 18 more votes for Biden in the EC. 

Congress determines the number of members. The SC has no say at all. It's explicit in the Constitution. Yeah a Senator might filibuster, but fuck em. Without Sinema or Manchin they could repeal the 1939 law with a bare majority and increase the house easily. Just need to control both chambers of Congress. It's way easier than a constitutional amendment, and probably easier to get through than the vote compact. It's also easily defensible. Who could oppose every American having equal representation? (I suspect some people could, but again - fuck them).

This has a bettor's chance...