TCU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

TEXAS (22-16, 9-6) vs. TCU (22-13, 7-11)
Time: Friday at 6:30 p.m.; Saturday at 6 p.m.; Sunday at 1 p.m.
TV: ESPNU/ESPN2/Longhorn Network
Radio: AM-1300 The Zone/103.1 FM
Live stats: Texas.Statbroadcast.com

PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS
FRIDAY–
Texas RHP Max Grubbs (4-2, 3.73) vs. TCU LHP Payton Tolle (3-3, 3.91)
SATURDAY–Texas LHP Ace Whitehead (3-0, 3.86) vs. TCU RHP Louis Rodriguez (3-1, 3.18)
SUNDAY–Texas RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr. (1-3, 5.57) vs. TCU RHP Mason Bixby (1-0, 3.21)

Note the TV channels as it will be different for each game.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know they are trying to not have the game interfere with the Spring game, but the weather apps are saying that at 7pm tomorrow, there is a 90% chance of thunderstorms.  (and like 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms from 1pm onward).....

so why the hell arent we doing a DH today starting at 330 or just suck it up and start the game around 11a tomorrow to give some overlap to the spring game (if they even have the game).

this seems like a case of the athletics dept just praying the rain isnt that bad or that lightning-y

7 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I

this seems like a case of the athletics dept just praying the rain isnt that bad or that lightning-y

Not sure if current,  but before they consulted with the pros at the National Weather Service.

34 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

so why the hell arent we doing a DH today starting at 330 or just suck it up and start the game around 11a tomorrow to give some overlap to the spring game (if they even have the game).

You seem to be operating under the impression that anyone still actually wants to watch this team play baseball.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

22 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

Really fighting my shitty fan urge to hope we crater all the way and flush Pierce out. 

I'm hoping the ball coach figured it out between Tuesday and now and the rest of the season he improves his chances of being the coach next year.

I have hoped this all season.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, petscii said:

I'm hoping the ball coach figured it out between Tuesday and now and the rest of the season he improves his chances of being the coach next year.

I have hoped this all season.

There's nothing to figure out.  When we went into the season with 5 guys coming off injury and no proven (good) pitchers to step into the 2nd and 3rd starter roles, the hay was in the barn.  If he could somehow get LBJ to perform that would help, but when you can't throw a breaking ball for a strike, what is the coach supposed to do?

Edited by ClubWhatever

47 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You seem to be operating under the impression that anyone still actually wants to watch this team play baseball.

P needs to fire himself as the pitching coach, hes not helping himself or them.  

But I dont see how the fuck we can fire a coach who in 7 full seasons (counting this one and not 2020), has made it to Omaha 3 fucking times.   Like it or not, thats something only a few other coaches can say over the last 8 years,  and who knows, this teams offense is sometimes just good enough to outlast our abysmal relief pitching. 

we have gone on stupider runs before, 2018 springs to mind.

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

There's nothing to figure out.  When we went into the season with 5 guys coming off injury and no proven (good) pitchers to step into the 2nd and 3rd starter roles, the hay was in the barn.  If he could somehow get LBJ to perform that would help, but when you can't throw a breaking ball for a strike, what is the coach supposed to do?

see my first line about getting a new pitch coach that might actually be able to teach the relief pitchers that the 5 sided looking white thing in front of the catcher is the target box to throw for.    we cant seem to find a middle reliever who can come out of the bullpen and throw strikes on their first 8 pitches.

Posted (edited)

If we were staying in the Big 12 I'd be fine with him.    We are moving from 3rd best baseball conference to the 1st.   Maybe we go on a tear and the ball bounces our way is not a winning strategy long term.

Fuck around and find out.

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

But I dont see how the fuck we can fire a coach who in 7 full seasons (counting this one and not 2020), has made it to Omaha 3 fucking times.

Well for starters that's below the program average. 

And also, only one of his teams had a legitimate chance at winning it all. You can theoretically give the 2020 team credit for that I guess. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

I was hoping we'd get to tee off on Kole Klecker again. No such luck, apparently.

His regression is almost as perplexing as LBJ's. His batting average against has jumped almost 100 points this year.

59 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

P needs to fire himself as the pitching coach.... 

we have gone on stupider runs before, 2018 springs to mind.

Pierce is too arrogant to fire himself.

Taking over the pitching position himself after last year is a huge tell of how arrogant he actually is. No one else to blame but him for this abysmal pitching staff. I was willing to give him a break at the beginning of the season for his 3x CWS appearances, but after witnessing Tuesday night in person, Fuck him and his arrogance. 

As for 2018, Kody put that team on his back. He's gone and we don't have anyone here now that is going to do what he was capable of.  

Hate to say it but we are most likely 2 and Q in a regional. Hopefully it isn't at fucking aggy (but most likely it will be).

• Hook 'Em 1

They would move tomorrow's game up before wanting to do a doubleheader. A doubleheader is always a last resort in conference play. 

With the game being a national ESPN broadcast instead of the usual LHN, there are probably a few more hoops to jump through if they want to move it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I could see tomorrow being moved up to 11am or so.  It would conflict with the spring game but we need the sOs bump from a game series.  And a double header on Sunday ain’t happening.  

for those you heading to the Disch tonight, stop by Rowling hall first.  Buncha really cool race cars on display for a McCombs event.  Open bar.  And a robust yoga pants competition.  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

for those you heading to the Disch tonight, stop by Rowling hall first.  Buncha really cool race cars on display for a McCombs event.  Open bar.

And that's good because you're probably gonna need it if you're going to the game. 

• Haha 2

Cocktail hour has commenced at B&Ps place.  I've invited 2 of most dear friends, me and I.  So, me, myself and I are getting ready to enjoy a few libations.   BTW, remember back when I said Lamar would break into the top 25?   Made their debut at #24.

Cardinals Land in Top 25 - Lamar University Athletics (lamarcardinals.com)

To quote the little girl from Poltergeist.

polter girl.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Cocktail hour has commenced at B&Ps place.  I've invited 2 of most dear friends, me and I.  So, me, myself and I are getting ready to enjoy a few libations.   BTW, remember back when I said Lamar would break into the top 25?   Made their debut at #24.

Cardinals Land in Top 25 - Lamar University Athletics (lamarcardinals.com)

To quote the little girl from Poltergeist.

polter girl.jpg

Maybe they'll get ranked high enough that we'll get lucky and avoid them in a regional. I wish I was joking. 

• Like 1

I remember (vaguely) going to the game with the roaches last year on the Monday we got shelled 15 to not a fuckin' enuff.  What a miserable experience that was, in retrospect that may have been our proverbial "shot across the bow" for our '24 season.  I cuss more before my second cup of coffee than I've ever known my dad to swear.  So, I called him yesterday and asked, "hey did you watch the game Tuesday?" knowing damn well he did.  He started off with "those motherf_ckers....".  I muted the phone because I was laughing so hard I didn't want him to hear.  When the team can get an octogenarian to get that torqued off about a game, they've done something.  LOL.  

LFG!

TEXAS!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Oh good, I was worried Jalin Flores would be our starting pitcher tonight.

I don’t know why JT pitching was so controversial. I can think of 6-7 fielders that also pitched at Texas. It’s not a Pierce thing.

1 minute ago, Balcones said:

I don’t know why JT pitching was so controversial. I can think of 6-7 fielders that also pitched at Texas. It’s not a Pierce thing.

Probably because Pierce is the pitching coach, our pitching largely sucks across the entire staff (starters to bullpen), and we got crushed by a terrible team while starting a position player.

Also, you can think of 6-7 position players that started a game; or just appeared? Because I can’t think of starters, unless they were a legit two-way player, which JT is not in college. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Why is a re-play of a softball game on the LHN instead of tonight’s game?

Hook’em!!!

It's on ESPNU tonight (but actually on ESPNews and ESPN+ right now since there's still a softball game going on).  And since I don't get either of the 2nd or 3rd, I'm stuck watching softball for now.

Edited by OU Sucks

13 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Also, you can think of 6-7 position players that started a game; or just appeared? Because I can’t think of starters, unless they were a legit two-way player, which JT is not in college. 

JT has started 1 game and pitched 1 2/3 inning.

Ty Marlow, Andy Maguire, Brandon Belt, Kacy Clemens, Jake McKenzie,  and more weren’t pitching recruits.