TCU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

I was at the game and could not see the ball hit the runner. The ball didn’t change trajectory or slow down. I’ve seen some of y’all say it did hit the runner so I’ll take your word for it, but it’s completely reasonable for Pierce to react the way he did. I was reacting about the same. Initially the home plate umpire was as asking Saarloos if he wanted to challenge 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I was at the game and could not see the ball hit the runner. The ball didn’t change trajectory or slow down. I’ve seen some of y’all say it did hit the runner so I’ll take your word for it, but it’s completely reasonable for Pierce to react the way he did. I was reacting about the same. Initially the home plate umpire was as asking Saarloos if he wanted to challenge 

the umpires fucked that up six ways from sunday.  just review it and be done.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went back and watched the ball that hit Peyton. One there is no way to tell whether it did or didn’t hit him. 

Pierce was livid when they told him that it was not reviewable and when they came back from commercial to start the 8th you can see him say to one of the umps “how can you not review that”

Props to the TCU players for selling the shit out of it because if that isn’t a reviewable play I’m teaching everyone of my infielders to point and act irate when a ball comes close to a runner. At least make the umps sweat and make a call

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why do you say that?

The NCAA baseball rule book does not explicitly say whether a runner being hit a batted ball is reviewable or not. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

The NCAA baseball rule book does not explicitly say whether a runner being hit a batted ball is reviewable or not. 

If the ump said he saw it hit the player that is not reviewable.

That is what the second umpire said.  The first umpire did not see it, checked with the second who said it hit him.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It doesn’t appear by a cursory reading of the rules that whether or not a batter ball hits a base runner is reviewable by a head coaches challenge 

If you can review touching a base you can review a live ball hitting a base runner. It’s absolutely reviewable 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If you are going to have replay available, get the calls right. All of them. It’s not that difficult.

Jesus man, you have to be out of your mind to advocate that. 

Every fucking review at a bare minimum takes 2 mins away from gametime- starting from the moment the umps decide to call time, huddle, confirm their call on the field, then ask if a coach wants to review, then run to the review booth, and then review, come back with a decision and then all the umps are back in position before its back to play ball.

And thats for the hyper obvious ones, like ball clearly hits either fair or foul, or runner safe at first while ball is still clearly in the air, etc. you do the first base safe/not safe back and forth review like we had to do today and thats taking some serious time to get completed. 

all 3 major review this week took at least 4 mins.  if we are reviewing everything, even if its just 10 total calls a game, we are adding ~+30 mins to every game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, AUS-97HORN said:

Every fucking review at a bare minimum takes 2 mins away from gametime- starting from the moment the umps decide to call time, huddle, confirm their call on the field, then ask if a coach wants to review, then run to the review booth, and then review, come back with a decision and then all the umps are back in position before its back to play ball.

And thats for the hyper obvious ones, like ball clearly hits either fair or foul, or runner safe at first while ball is still clearly in the air, etc. you do the first base safe/not safe back and forth review like we had to do today and thats taking some serious time to get completed. 

all 3 major review this week took at least 4 mins.  if we are reviewing everything, even if its just 10 total calls a game, we are adding ~+30 mins to every game. 

SEC does centralized video review. Decision comes down from the replay official in the SEC office. Does cut down on review times 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Each coach gets 2 reviews to use per game as things currently stand. Umpires can call for a crew initiated review as well. Why should they not allow coaches to review anything they want outside of balls and strikes? Hell, the current rules allow them to review almost anything except for like 3-4 things.

I don’t think that is extreme. And as mentioned above, SEC has centralized review so umpires don’t even have to leave the field.

Edited by Hookem2147

So, riddle me this.  If the umpires have discretion to pull what amounts to a red card in soccer (although already after an ejection), why the hell does Pierce not know this?

Wouldn't it stand to reason that once you've been tossed, you've accomplished your goal (if that was the goal) and to then shut the fuck up?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, riddle me this.  If the umpires have discretion to pull what amounts to a red card in soccer (although already after an ejection), why the hell does Pierce not know this?

Wouldn't it stand to reason that once you've been tossed, you've accomplished your goal (if that was the goal) and to then shut the fuck up?

I think it used to be referred to as getting your money's worth on the ejection.  

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

SEC does centralized video review. Decision comes down from the replay official in the SEC office. Does cut down on review times 

Yup. I’d rather get the call right. Especially with college baseball umpires. Check all of it 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. I’d rather get the call right. Especially with college baseball umpires. Check all of it 

They did get the call right.  It hit him.  He's out.

Edited by petscii

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, petscii said:

They did get the call right.  It hit him.  He's out.

I’m aware. I’m responding to the idea that they shouldn’t review it, or everything for that matter. Which is crazy in this instance considering there wasn’t a call made on the field. And is crazy in all others because college umpires are terrible 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1