Why Can't I Quit You, Austin?

texasdago

Posted (edited)

Focusing on the Austin of Today... I love what they've done at Cosmic Saltillo.  I've been a big fan of Cosmic Coffee but Saltillo is so kickass, especially since you can drink there... go to a show at The Scoot Inn... and then go right on back.

Not to mention, you can then work your way over to East 6th and allll the options there.  

CosmicSaltillo0923_JaneYun_JHY09247sized_iypvyh.jpg

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2

I saw that the Zilker Zephyr is in testing phase. Not sure when it’s open to the public but hopefully soon for my 4 and 7 year old.

That whole story is an absolute joke but I’ll be glad when it’s back up and running.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

What is the name of the place next to Hyde Park Bar and Grill? I meet up with friends there for morning margs and tacos whenever I'm back in town. Love that place. I think its the same old woman working the register that has always been there. 

Julio's. Stella is the woman you are talking about. She/the family sold it 6 months ago to new owners. My kids grew up kindergarten through high school going to that restaurant. The new owners seem very nice. Haven't met them yet.

Food is exactly the same, just a little more expensive. 

BTW, we saw Mack and Sally eating there. Bastard winked at my wife. 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Poss East also had very solid burgers. That was over by the Engineering buildings.

Still does!  As does the Crown & Anchor just up the street, which is also still there and still making a great cheeseburger.  As an engineering student, I spent a ridiculous amount of time at those two joints.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, utee94 said:

Still does!  As does the Crown & Anchor just up the street, which is also still there and still making a great cheeseburger.  As an engineering student, I spent a ridiculous amount of time at those two joints.

Yeah, Crown and Anchor's burgers and fries are legit.  Had a friend visiting town with his wife for some dance competition and I sent them there.  They were like, WTF, but then understood.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

Never heard of it.

Seriously? I'm really not trying to be a Surly ass. You've never heard of Crown and Anchor? 

Did you attend UT? Really, Crown was among the best known places.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I can't quit Austin and I can't quit Conan's.  It's amazing to me that the Anderson/Burnet location is almost identical to how it was when I was in high school decades ago.

image.png.626a48a82558beea72a0f4747becf342.png

image.png.cb358ed150b78911c4f923976b471a80.png

image.thumb.png.66bc3c6ac47ee7c3a09f8d1070da1656.png

Convient to the "new" Dragons Lair location.

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Seriously? I'm really not trying to be a Surly ass. You've never heard of Crown and Anchor? 

Did you attend UT? Really, Crown was among the best known places.

He's joking.  Check the "Burgers" thread in the Austin food subforum.  HJ is there gobbling down burgers probably at least 10x per month, when he's not at Sour Duck doing the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I can't quit Austin and I can't quit Conan's.  It's amazing to me that the Anderson/Burnet location is almost identical to how it was when I was in high school decades ago.

image.png.626a48a82558beea72a0f4747becf342.png

image.png.cb358ed150b78911c4f923976b471a80.png

image.thumb.png.66bc3c6ac47ee7c3a09f8d1070da1656.png

For almost 10 years I live a mile from this place and have never eaten there. Hard to go there when Desanos is just 200 yards away.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

He's joking.  Check the "Burgers" thread in the Austin food subforum.  HJ is there gobbling down burgers probably at least 10x per month, when he's not at Sour Duck doing the same.

Yeah, should have listened to my own "WTF no way!" warning. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

For almost 10 years I live a mile from this place and have never eaten there. Hard to go there when Desanos is just 200 yards away.

I like Conan's much much much better than Desanos, but it's an entirely different style of pizza.

Deep dish Savage on whole wheat is the Truth.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I really like going to Bar Peached... great outdoor patio, food is really good, prices are surprisingly reasonable and there's lots of scenery.  

image.thumb.png.86e042f2313977ffc63d827c214f8598.png

Y'all know prices in Austin and these prices are legit.  And... I'm going to be very vulnerable here as the resident Italian but while I hate that they call it Bolognese, that dish is LEGIT, filling and only $17.00.

image.thumb.png.e149e6c11d1bb91b10d2b12748c96246.png

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Desano kicks ass

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Bitchfest is over here - 

Keep fighting the good fight. Great premise for a thread, but that premise seems to be getting lost on the majority. Also seems to be turning into a thread more appropriate for Food & Travel, but I know that’s not what you intended.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Keep fighting the good fight. Great premise for a thread, but that premise seems to be getting lost on the majority. Also seems to be turning into a thread more appropriate for Food & Travel, but I know that’s not what you intended.

Old Austin will always find a reason to complain.  Always.  I'm going to focus on the good stuff about the Austin of today.

Love that this was added to Pease Park.  I think we'll swing by Eeyore's to check it out and to see "Weird" in all its glory.

image.thumb.png.8ba1c6e4469643e25829582edc7451aa.png

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Food, local travel, and music are among the top things to love about Austin.  Seems pretty natural they'd all feature prominently in a thread like this.

On that note, another thing I love about Austin... Bob Schneider at the Saxon Pub:

image.thumb.png.40d0a60ecfa277eeaec257a1b35ffe8c.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, texasdago said:

Old Austin will always find a reason to complain.  Always.  I'm going to focus on the good stuff about the Austin of today.

Love that this was added to Pease Park.  I think we'll swing by Eeyore's to check it out and to see "Weird" in all its glory.

image.thumb.png.8ba1c6e4469643e25829582edc7451aa.png

We should place bets on if this thing burns to the ground sometime during Eeyore’s Birthday Party this Saturday.

Where do you park?

Exactly why I don't go there. Finding parking SUCKS.

• Rage+1 1

Where do you park?

Usually we get lucky and park in the lot in the back or we try for one of the side streets.

Which reminds me.

Yeah, its changing but I love me some Clarksville and the two front yard ducks that live on Eason Street behind Howler Brothers.  If I'm over there, I always walk over and say hello.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Food, local travel, and music are among the top things to love about Austin.  Seems pretty natural they'd all feature prominently in a thread like this.

On that note, another thing I love about Austin... Bob Schneider at the Saxon Pub:

image.thumb.png.40d0a60ecfa277eeaec257a1b35ffe8c.png

My point was that people were missing the point of the thread and turning it into a thread of all the shitty places they used to eat at when they were in school. Those places were great when you were poor and didn’t care, but Dago is trying to celebrate what’s great about “new” Austin and that’s not Kerbey Lane and Texadelphia. I love the premise of the thread as someone that craps on Austin plenty as it demonstrates that there are still great things about the city despite it changing from whatever point in time you considered to be the “glory years” in your mind.

• Hook 'Em 2

Its funny but when we lived in Houston, I would have never ever gone to a city pool.  Austin's got a different thing going on with its pools, depending on where you are.

My office is a few short blocks from Ramsey Pool in Rosedale.  Come summertime it opens up and is a great place to jump in for a swim in what is some of the cooler pool water in Austin.  They use a big aerator thing to recirculate the water and, man, it could be 100 degrees and that water feels great.  I'll walk from my office and take a quick swim for lunch.  Its amazing, clean and free.

Its very old school, a bit run down (bathrooms are a time capsule) and quiet but its perfect.  You have to envy the people who are lucky to live right along Ramsey Park.  Place must be a perfect summer job for neighborhood kids.

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/ramsey-pool

image.thumb.png.5936b1d7c3502279f131d69033b61edc.png

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I really like going to Bar Peached... great outdoor patio, food is really good, prices are surprisingly reasonable and there's lots of scenery.  

image.thumb.png.86e042f2313977ffc63d827c214f8598.png

Y'all know prices in Austin and these prices are legit.  And... I'm going to be very vulnerable here as the resident Italian but while I hate that they call it Bolognese, that dish is LEGIT, filling and only $17.00.

image.thumb.png.e149e6c11d1bb91b10d2b12748c96246.png

Desano kicks ass

For the record, you aren't the only Italian representative on Surly.

Just now, HenryJames said:

Dago is not the preferred nomenclature. Italian-American, please.

Jesus he's not talking about the mafiosos from the 1930s he's talking about the bolognese at bar peached. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

My point was that people were missing the point of the thread and turning it into a thread of all the shitty places they used to eat at when they were in school. Those places were great when you were poor and didn’t care, but Dago is trying to celebrate what’s great about “new” Austin and that’s not Kerbey Lane and Texadelphia. I love the premise of the thread as someone that craps on Austin plenty as it demonstrates that there are still great things about the city despite it changing from whatever point in time you considered to be the “glory years” in your mind.

I've crossed up places from long ago, and recent history, most of which I still like. 

It's what did and does make Austin great to me. Rather than focusing on why someone else's great doesn't qualify as great to you, contribute what you think is great and love.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Paddle board Town Lake on a summer weekend. You get to cool off and see a band in the middle of the damn lake.

Also one of the best views of Austin is to paddle board/kayak Town Lake at night. Paddle to see the bats and city lights from the lake.

Z_ac3b9vs7dasoa2svr6LqWStgt9Ke7wzmfh8iwo

Those people with their bodies in the lake…

CD595984-A889-4E4C-AE08-63017FE6C417.thumb.jpeg.e7638c5969f234198f12ba9703c74a86.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I've crossed up places from long ago, and recent history, most of which I still like. 

It's what did and does make Austin great to me. Rather than focusing on why someone else's great doesn't qualify as great to you, contribute what you think is great and love.

Yeah, I'm down with this as long as its not rehashing the past which is what pisses me off.  Funny we bring up Italy but its like my mom bitching about Rome of the 1960s versus the Rome of today.  I have my own opinions of Rome of today but there's still plenty to love.  I digress.

You know what I love about today's Austin?  Tacodeli's $10 margarita to go will get it done! (not my pic, not my wife)

image.png.b6ff8f9295a695e18b69364e340aeb7f.png

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Its funny but when we lived in Houston, I would have never ever gone to a city pool.  Austin's got a different thing going on with its pools, depending on where you are.

My office is a few short blocks from Ramsey Pool in Rosedale.  Come summertime it opens up and is a great place to jump in for a swim in what is some of the cooler pool water in Austin.  They use a big aerator thing to recirculate the water and, man, it could be 100 degrees and that water feels great.  I'll walk from my office and take a quick swim for lunch.  Its amazing, clean and free.

Its very old school, a bit run down (bathrooms are a time capsule) and quiet but its perfect.  You have to envy the people who are lucky to live right along Ramsey Park.  Place must be a perfect summer job for neighborhood kids.

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/ramsey-pool

image.thumb.png.5936b1d7c3502279f131d69033b61edc.png

Took swimming lessons there as a kid. Looks exactly the same today. Crenshaw's used to be just across the street.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Those people with their bodies in the lake…

CD595984-A889-4E4C-AE08-63017FE6C417.thumb.jpeg.e7638c5969f234198f12ba9703c74a86.jpeg

I will say this. I've spent more time on Lake Travis and Town Lake than most on this board. I have never had a rash from either of those bodies of water.

For Town Lake, just stay out of the weeded areas and you should be fine. BTW, there are leeches in the lake. All the more reasons not to get in the water in areas with thick vegetation.

Agreed on Posse East & Crown.  Whoever brought it up, The Beach was where Crown & Anchor now resides.  Posse East is at the south end of the block.

I'm so glad Hole In The Wall is still going.  I've played at some pretty iconic clubs in Austin, but playing this tiny stage at this dump convinced me I had "made it" (even though I never made it).  Absolutely my favorite bar in the world.  SO many shows and stories.

image.thumb.png.779d08240d1435100da16b1d928aa2b2.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1