Elderly Parent Life Alert?

My MIL (no pics) lives seven minutes away, alone. She is 89 and fairly mobile, but it’s kind of “when”, not “if” on something happening, right?

Anyone have any recommendations on those things old people have where they wear them around their neck and press a button if they need help? Is there a monthly fee for monitoring? Any options without a fee?

Why not use her cell phone? Because she doesn’t use her cell phone. 

Any help or suggestions are appreciated 

Same with my MIL, but she’s 25-30min away.

We got her some alexa devices and put them throughout her house. Hooked to her phone so she could ask it to make a call.

She was adamant about not wearing some old lady device. It’s not been pretty. She was starting to get catfished by some mother fucker between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Put a stop to that quick, thankfully got things stopped, and back to square one. Needless to say, it’s been difficult. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Doesn't an Apple Watch have fall detection and call someone? Or maybe call 911 for you.  Of course, the wearer has to be with it enough to recharge the watch and actually wear it.

That's what I did for my mom. She wouldn't think about a life alert, but she has no problem with the watch. Dials me and 911 if she falls. 

redskins ive fallen and i cant get up GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

When my mom was in assisted living, she would have her Assist Pendant next to her in bed. When she would walk to the bathroom or wherever, she would leave the pendant in her bed. head slap.

it had a loop so you could wear it around your neck but she didn't like doing that.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Same with my MIL, but she’s 25-30min away.

We got her some alexa devices and put them throughout her house. Hooked to her phone so she could ask it to make a call.

She was adamant about not wearing some old lady device. It’s not been pretty. She was starting to get catfished by some mother fucker between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Put a stop to that quick, thankfully got things stopped, and back to square one. Needless to say, it’s been difficult. 

exactly what I did for my MIL.   Of course, I also had to put a sign on the wall next to each of them that reads "hey Alexa", beause she had trouble remembering "Alexa".   

They are so cheap these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Check with her insurance.  My mother's insurance company, Humana, paid for one of the monitoring things.  She chose the one to wear around her neck although there was a watch version as well.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Doesn't an Apple Watch have fall detection and call someone? Or maybe call 911 for you.  Of course, the wearer has to be with it enough to recharge the watch and actually wear it.

My parents are in retirement home and have mentioned Apple watch is the thing everyone is using and recommending there.

Apple Watches here as well.  It really doesn’t matter until they are living alone.  Grandma fell and broke her hip 6 months after grandpa died.  In a senior living facility and she laid on the bathroom floor for over a day before someone checked on her because she missed multiple meals.  Died of pneumonia a month later in a rehab facility.  The watch makes them feel young and hip.  The necklace/lanyard thing makes them feel old.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Apple Watches here as well.  It really doesn’t matter until they are living alone.  Grandma fell and broke her hip 6 months after grandpa died.  In a senior living facility and she laid on the bathroom floor for over a day before someone checked on her because she missed multiple meals.  Died of pneumonia a month later in a rehab facility.  The watch makes them feel young and hip.  The necklace/lanyard thing makes them feel old.

Crazy that no one checked on her for a day. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Crazy that no one checked on her for a day. 

She lived by herself.  They had full kitchens in their apartments and it wasn’t uncommon for people to go out for meals.  The cafeteria was actually a restaurant with a menu, and it was like a country club, there was a minimum spend per month required, but once you met that minimum, you could do whatever you wanted to. There were months when a few of us would have dinner with them there at the end of the month because they hadn’t met their minimum for the month because they ate out so much and it was use it or lose it.  It was one of the nicer options for this sort of living arrangement in DFW and we had no complaints while they were there.  Old people are just fragile and shit.  Old people living alone need something like an Apple Watch.

• Hook 'Em 2