Texas @University of Central Florida Series Thread

petscii

It could mean something or it may mean nothing but it is note worthy that Tulo wasn’t just in the dugout but he accompanied the team on their furthest road trip of the season. 

I think it is safe to assume Phillip Miller is done at Texas and I wonder what the conversations between Tulo and Pierce have been behind closed doors. AHC tag next year? A lot of moving parts left to be decided before that bridge is crossed but I don’t think he moved back into the dugout for fun because he was bored

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

They will be shaking in their boots when they see LBJ on that mound with his 2 wins lol

Especially after we lose the Friday game. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It could mean something or it may mean nothing but it is note worthy that Tulo wasn’t just in the dugout but he accompanied the team on their furthest road trip of the season. 

I think it is safe to assume Phillip Miller is done at Texas and I wonder what the conversations between Tulo and Pierce have been behind closed doors. AHC tag next year? A lot of moving parts left to be decided before that bridge is crossed but I don’t think he moved back into the dugout for fun because he was bored

He wants to stay involved and keep his name front and center for job openings. That was the primary motivation for returning. The year off last year was okay but stay out of the game too long and it could hurt you. His current role also allows him to stay in Austin with some flexibility if he wants to go watch his 10-year-old son play or gets tied up with something else versus being a paid assistant who is dealing with recruiting, being at very game/team function, etc

He isn't the traditional assistant working his way up the ladder and he knows it. The guy turned down USC two years ago. I am 99% confident his next move will be to run his own program, not be a paid assistant for someone else. He is just waiting for the right opportunity. 

Just my .02.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

I still have seen nothing that indicates Tulo has a college degree, and I think most top-tier programs would be put off by that in terms of a head coaching hire.  Maybe I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

28 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

They will be shaking in their boots when they see LBJ on that mound with his 2 wins lol

That's pretty much every team's 3rd starter. 

For example, if we ended up in the Fayetteville Regional (D1 projections) we would likely face Molina as their 3rd starter. The same guy that didn't make it out of the first inning today against Miss State. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I still have seen nothing that indicates Tulo has a college degree, and I think most top-tier programs would be put off by that in terms of a head coaching hire.  Maybe I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

My understanding is he took care of it at some point in the last two years.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

My understanding is he took care of it at some point in the last two years.

I've never seen any such reference, so I decided to check LinkedIn.  I finally found something, and it's a sketchy as one might think.  There is a reference to him being "a recent graduate of the United States Sports Academy. America's Sports University - having earned his Bachelor of Sports Science degree in sports coaching in 2023."

OK, I suppose.  I guess it might check the box for some schools.  A few graduates are notable, including the Pirate (Mike Leach), although I'd say his bachelor's from BYU and law degree from Pepperdine kinda trump some random one-off.

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never seen any such reference, so I decided to check LinkedIn.  I finally found something, and it's a sketchy as you might think.  There is a reference to him being "a recent graduate of the United States Sports Academy. America's Sports University - having earned his Bachelor of Sports Science degree in sports coaching in 2023."

OK, I suppose.  I guess it might check the box for some schools.

There’s a few active coaches listed on their alumni page, and Mike Leach. But most seem to have gotten a degree there after getting one somewhere else. 

Just now, Js1 said:

There’s a few active coaches listed on their alumni page, and Mike Leach. But most seem to have gotten a degree there after getting one somewhere else. 

Yes, like Greg McDermott.

I don't want to belabor the point, but I do think it might not go in the "plus" column with some schools.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never seen any such reference, so I decided to check LinkedIn.  I finally found something, and it's a sketchy as you might think.  There is a reference to him being "a recent graduate of the United States Sports Academy. America's Sports University - having earned his Bachelor of Sports Science degree in sports coaching in 2023."

OK, I suppose.  I guess it might check the box for some schools.

Still a more valuable degree than graduating from Texas Tech

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's pretty much every team's 3rd starter. 

For example, if we ended up in the Fayetteville Regional (D1 projections) we would likely face Molina as their 3rd starter. The same guy that didn't make it out of the first inning today against Miss State. 

He knows, he just hates himself

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, like Greg McDermott.

I don't want to belabor the point, but I do think it might not go in the "plus" column with some schools.

Doubt it is seen as a negative to anyone who wants him. It checks the necessary box for hiring and that’s likely all that will matter 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Still a very flawed team but I don't think anyone would be particularly happy to see us as a 2 seed. 

A 2 seed with potentially 7 series wins in a row seems like it would suck for any 1 seed. 

I agree and we have a salty lineup that when hot can be deadly. I could see them upsetting a regional host but it has to be in 3 games. Or I can easily see us go 0-2. That’s just the nature of this team. 

Missed most of yesterday's game, we were at the MIL's haus for Mother's Day festivities.  Pleased with getting the series win and taking care of business.  Cue the reaper to slash some jayhawk ass.  Remember boys, this week it is a T-F-S series.

22 hours ago, chase25 said:

Pierce isn’t competent enough to do something this smart and strategic. Anything he does will be attempting survival mode. I’m hoping CDC sees through this and does the right thing. And yes I’m on the fire this motherfucker bandwagon. 

45 minutes ago, b_p said:

Pierce isn’t competent enough to do something this smart and strategic. Anything he does will be attempting survival mode. I’m hoping CDC sees through this and does the right thing. And yes I’m on the fire this motherfucker bandwagon. 

Wasn't it pretty much confirmed that CDC forced Herman to make changes to his coaching staff (i.e. Orlando)?

CDC's position could be "figure out a way for Tulo to play a key role on staff if you want to keep your job."