I'm a Californian. Tell me how to smoke sausage

Gil Bang

I've gotten pretty good with the WSM, but sausage has never been on it.  I just swung by the butcher to pick up a tri tip to smoke tomorrow.  They had some pork and hatch chili links that they made this morning. The actual butcher was at lunch, and the clerk covering for him was a dipshit.

Can I just toss them on next to the tri tip?  I usually smoke the TT at about 250.  How long does the sausage need to stay on? How can I fuck this up, or is it idiotproof? 

Smoking the TT with stubbs and oak chunks.

Edited by Gil Bang

The thread on shaggy got me to start throwing sausages on the WSM whenever I'm smoking anything. May as well make use of any available space. I don't know why I never thought of it. I turned a friend on to the idea but he hasn't adopted the practice. I can't figure that out. 

It depends on the sausage but I find that it takes about 90 minutes or so to smoke them. No longer than 2 hrs. I've always got them close to the outer edges of the upper grate so they catch a little more direct heat from the fire and don't all cook at the same speed. You just have to check them to see when they're done. You can smoke several batches of sausages while you're smoking most anything else. 

I do it fairly often, and have read quite a bit on the techniques.  While they vary, the critical points are:

1.  Take it out of the fridge and pacakaging and let it dry for 30 min or so (and pat it dry).  You can do it while you a prepping the smoker

2.   I smoke a little lower temp.  I have a Traeger so it’s prett easy to regulate.  Start under 200 (see next though).  I usually start at  150-175, and turn it up a little as necessary

3.  The fresh sausage likely does not have a curing agent in it.  That means you need to get it cooked to the proper temp in less than 4 hours from the time it comes out of the refrigerator,  and eat it fairly soon thereafter (or keep it warm).

4.  Critical:  you have to monitor the internal temp. Pull at 155 degrees (no higher than 160).  WHen the internal temp gets abouve 175 or so, the fat will render and the sausage will dry out