San Antonio

TexasHooch

5 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Bijou was "Date #1" on my then fiance and mines choice board.  We almost always ended up there.  Usually with a stop at Fujiya (rip)  before or after. 

I loved Fujiya, especially the original location on Fred but also when they moved to Wurzbach. Other than Nikkis, that was the only place to get sushi in SA back in the day.

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I loved Fujiya, especially the original location on Fred but also when they moved to Wurzbach. Other than Nikkis, that was the only place to get sushi in SA back in the day.

Fujiya and Tokyo Steakhouse were my go to spots back in the day. One night around 1999, I was standing outside of Tokyo Steakhouse waiting for my wife when this Honda Accord pulled up in front of the door.

It was dark but something about the silhouette of the person in the car looked odd. The door opens and Tim Duncan emerges out of the car. My man managed to squeeze into a fucking Honda Accord. He had to bend down to walk inside the front door of the restaurant, I have no idea how he drove that car.

Has anyone been to Toro Kitchen? I filled my belly up with seafood paella and octopus ceviche tonight at the Stone Oak location. I've been to Carmen's downtown a few times but other than that I haven't been able to find a decent tapas bar.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, F250 said:

Has anyone been to Toro Kitchen? I filled my belly up with seafood paella and octopus ceviche tonight at the Stone Oak location. I've been to Carmen's downtown a few times but other than that I haven't been able to find a decent tapas bar.

Yes, I wrote about it early in this thread. Toro is a great place. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:09 PM, F250 said:

On 5/4/2024 at 11:49 AM, CHIEF said:

Yes, I wrote about it early in this thread. Toro is a great place. 

CHIEF

Seconded. I've only been to the downtown location next to the Alamodome but I'm a big fan. Good food, good vibe. They also have a cool downstairs bar.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It's not so isolated.

We did Gartenfest at Beethoven Maennorchor again this year.  Hadn't been in a few years, but I think it's my favorite fiesta event.  Just laid back, and lots of seating available in the beer garden.  Good music and food. Although beer is damn expensive. I think for Fiesta, its that event and maybe King William from here on out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, KW is our jam too with kids in tow. We park at the arsenal and walk down the river to a friends house a block away from the Johnson street bridge. We can ice down beer and cocktails, use clean restrooms, and get general respite from the heat at their house and be back across the bridge and in it in under 5.

I had lunch at Gennaro's Trattoria in Canyon Lake. If you happen to be in the area and are in the mood for Italian you should give it a try.
The lobster ravioli was good. I enjoyed everything that I tried, caprese salad, bruschetta, and lamb meatballs.

We’ve eaten there a coupla times, it’s solid. The eggplant parm is outstanding.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Found Taquitos West to be legit. Al Pastor was good and the tripas we're cooked to perfection. Was eating too fast to take pictures, but thought about it afterwards. As you can see they have two locations 

IMG20240517121347.thumb.jpg.21f436834160d3e0a30178860ab03b35.jpg

• Like 1

Found Taquitos West to be legit. Al Pastor was good and the tripas we're cooked to perfection. Was eating too fast to take pictures, but thought about it afterwards. As you can see they have two locations 

Truly love that place. Like, we’ll go out of our way to eat there.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

"VISIT ANY OF OUR TWO LOCATIONS!" could be shortened to say "Visit Either of Our Locations!" It would be shorter. And grammatically correct.

But then I'm paying them for Taquitos, not for grammar.

• Hook 'Em 1

"VISIT ANY OF OUR TWO LOCATIONS!" could be shortened to say "Visit Either of Our Locations!" It would be shorter. And grammatically correct.

I almost made this exact same post.
But then I realized I could sit back and wait for YOU to be the asshole.
Mission accomplished.
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Shoot, I was just thinking there was too much English and not enough español on that sign...

Yeah shit the good place near us has "potatoe" in their translation attempt on the menu and I'm sure as shit not going to point out their Quayle. 

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah shit the good place near us has "potatoe" in their translation attempt on the menu and I'm sure as shit not going to point out their Quayle. 

It's the "potatoe" that tells you it's legit.  Kinda like "shrimps" tells you it's a real chinese joint.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Truly love that place. Like, we’ll go out of our way to eat there.

I'll do the same, been in SA for 5 months, before that in El Paso for the better part of two years, I've grown particular to what I expect in Mexican food. This place hit the spot. Off to Uvalde for a year, I'll probably make a trip or two back. 

3 hours ago, hornian said:

You're really gonna love it after you order your tacos and they ask, "You want us to put you salsa?"