2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

11 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

On a personal note, broke through today and I’m feeling good about our chances in the postseason.
After being in attendance and seeing wins in the season and home openers, I’d been to three other games this year before today. All JV starts. All Astro losses (including that bartolo near-perfecto).
Bullpen tried to blow it but glad my jinx was overcome.

It really is incredible this team is still a 100 win team with Correa hitting like dogshit, Altuve with a bum knee and Springer turning in to a single hitter.

Tyler White and Tony Kemp, man.

We seem more like a traditional playoff contender than we did a year ago. I realize it's a new era of offensive baseball, compared to the old days, but you still have to feel it's better to count on pitching and defense than on slugging against playoff-quality pitching. Of course, I still want our bats to come around ASAP, but this season has shown we can survive against most opponents without getting much special from them. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Nobis said:

If someone can get mildly hot for the playoffs like springer did in the WS last year we'll be in decent shape

espn seems to be back on the Stros train as they have us #1 in their power rankings again

I have harped on Correa being bad but I hope he is the one who gets hot early starting with jays and orioles and it carries over. Watching 2017 playoff highlights and he had quite a few big hits. We need to be able to count on him not to hit a weak dribbler to short or a pop out to shallow right

I don't think he's getting better this year.  His bat speed is noticeably down.  It's why he fouls off so many pitches he used to drive and hits all the weak grounders.  This is beyond a bad slump and is either because he still has back issues or has some kind of mind fuck going on with his swing.

Edited by kevwun

29 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think he's getting better this year.  His bat speed is noticeably down.  It's why he fouls off so many pitches he used to drive and hits all the weak grounders.  This is beyond a bad slump and is either because he still has back issues or has some kind of mind fuck going on with his swing.

I agree with the assessment that his swing is being affected by his attempt to avoid pain. 

The off-season will help him tremendously.

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It’s a lot of things but part is not only bat speed but pitch recognition and timing. De Rosa did a breakdown on mlb central a few days ago.

He is late on his load and makes his decision to swing too late. He’s hitting everything right at the plate and when you are attacking anything inner 3rd you want to clear your hips and hands early and meet it out front.

Whether it’s the back and he hesitates to cut loose or he just can’t get the timing back it is hard to watch. In an atbat yesterday Blum mentioned his bend at the waste which is causing a lot of the pop ups even pitches he might be on time but because of that bend his bat path is off and can’t barrel it up right. His flyout to right yesterday was barreled solidly and was an outside pitch which he let get a little deeper, whether that was on purpose or by accident it looked the best of most of his swings the past week or so.