Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

44 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I've enjoyed reading those trying to twist to find some moral equivalency between the GOP and Dems. The GOP who hides behind a shield of Christianity while trying to regulate their ethical and moral standards yet are the worst abusers of it all. Yelling that "Dems lie too!" yet too blind or obtuse to see the systematic nature of the GOP. Sure Dems lie too, but at an individual level. Where is the concerted effort to regulate hypocrisy like the GOP? Where are the leaders who hold the President to a standard that they previously enforced? 

You have to be kidding me.  You want hypocrisy?  Who was leading the charge for "political civility" during the 92, 143 memorial services for McCain?  How long did it take the Democratic Senators to shift from "political civility" to having a conference call to discuss whether it would be better political strategy to walk out of the Kavanaugh hearings or just disrupt them as often as possible? The answer, 24 goddamn hours.

You want more hypocrisy.  On one hand Democrats will claim that it is improper to condemn all illegal aliens for the violent crimes committed by a select few and then turn around and claim that every member of the NRA is responsible for the actions of one lone gunman.  I could go through an entire computer keyboard typing in examples of hypocrisy in the Democratic Party.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

You have to be kidding me.  You want hypocrisy?  Who was leading the charge for "political civility" during the 92, 143 memorial services for McCain?  How long did it take the Democratic Senators to shift from "political civility" to having a conference call to discuss whether it would be better political strategy to walk out of the Kavanaugh hearings or just disrupt them as often as possible? The answer, 24 goddamn hours.

You want more hypocrisy.  On one hand Democrats will claim that it is improper to condemn all illegal aliens for the violent crimes committed by a select few and then turn around and claim that every member of the NRA is responsible for the actions of one lone gunman.  I could go through an entire computer keyboard typing in examples of hypocrisy in the Democratic Party.

BUT DEMOCRATS!

6 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Is this after the GOP held out a Supreme Court pick for Obama because the timing wasn't right, yet pushing their candidate through as quickly as possible without releasing all the public information on him? 

And can you point to where the Dems say the NRA is fully responsible for all acts of gun violence? They certainly do point to the NRA as a problem.....and well they are when they publish this type of propaganda/scare tactics

Please keyboard warrior, go through that entire computer keyboard to prove me wrong. Maybe you can go back to when the Dems were for slavery to prove your point. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

10 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

On one hand Democrats will claim that it is improper to condemn all illegal aliens for the violent crimes committed by a select few and then turn around and claim that every member of the NRA is responsible for the actions of one lone gunman.  

That's not even close to true.  Got any legitimate criticisms?

While we are on the subject of hypocrisy let's talk about the American voter.  You know the American voter that always bitches about their politicians not being honest with them.  Voters do you know why your politicians feed you bullshit?   Because you would rather eat bullshit that looks like it would taste good than have to swallow nasty looking truth.  

Here is Politician A who the voters should hate because he is feeding them bullshit--"If I win everyone will get free health care, free college, free child care, and none of it will ever come out of your paycheck or bank account."

Here is Politician B who the voters should love because he is being honest with them--"If you are relying on Medicare and Social Security to help ease the burdens of your life a decade or two from now you are fucked.  If you think the budget deficit can just keep growing and growing without some generation down the line taking it in the ass when the rest of the world finally demands the money our country owes them then someday you or your descendants are going to be fucked."

Which politician is going to win an election between these two?  You don't want honest politicians.  You want politicians that will tell you what you want to hear.

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

While we are on the subject of hypocrisy let's talk about the American voter.  You know the American voter that always bitches about their politicians not being honest with them.  Voters do you know why your politicians feed you bullshit?   Because you would rather eat bullshit that looks like it would taste good than have to swallow nasty looking truth.  

Here is Politician A who the voters should hate because he is feeding them bullshit--"If I win everyone will get free health care, free college, free child care, and none of it will ever come out of your paycheck or bank account."

Here is Politician B who the voters should love because he is being honest with them--"If you are relying on Medicare and Social Security to help ease the burdens of your life a decade or two from now you are fucked.  If you think the budget deficit can just keep growing and growing without some generation down the line taking it in the ass when the rest of the world finally demands the money our country owes them then someday you or your descendants are going to be fucked."

Which politician is going to win an election between these two?  You don't want honest politicians.  You want politicians that will tell you what you want to hear.

You just described the average Trump voter. Congrats

And can you point me to a politician who has sold the bold part? 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

There's more irony in that last bit from EMAWesome than can be found in all the camp skillets ever made.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

They both did it.  Now the Republicans have taken the malfeasance to levels nobody with a moral compass could have ever imagined.

If you don't see it that way, it tells me everything I need to know about your moral compass, or more correctly, lack thereof.  Sucks to be you.

Sucks to be you when you conveniently ignore what democrats have done in the past. Now it's only today matters (your chance to pull the, "but... fill in the blank charade)  That in no way excuses what the republicans look like they're doing.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, SmokeyTheBear said:

You just described the average Trump voter. Congrats

And can you point me to a politician who has sold the bold part? 

Every Democrat up for election this year is going to try to sell this.  Hell Sanders, Warren, and Harris will run for president on it two years from now.  They will claim it will be paid for by raising taxes on greedy corporations.  Now it's time for a short game of "what happens when."

What happens when communities, counties, and states raise sales taxes?  Do the businesses eat the taxes or do they pass them on to the consumer?

What happens when state and federal gasoline taxes are raised?  Do gas stations and convenience stores eat the tax hike or do they pass it on to the consumer?

What happens when local, state, or federal governments raise alcohol taxes?  Do bars and liquor stores eat the tax or do they pass it on to the consumer?

What happens when local, state, or federal governments raise taxes on ammunition sold in sporting goods stores?  Does the sporting goods store eat the tax increase or do they pass it on to the consumer?

Every tax you raise on a corporation will be a tax passed on to the people who buy the goods and services that corporation provides.   There is no free.  The consumer will be paying for it in one form or another and if they are not paying for their own they are paying for somebody else's. 

16 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I believe you could provide many examples of what you would call hypocrisy, but that's not the same thing as examples of actual hypocrisy. All you've done with the NRA example is lift two different lines of reasoning out of their context and compared them in a vacuum.

Please provide a single act on behalf of a Democratic POTUS or Congress that even approaches what Trump and his team have been accused of.  Don't take the easy way out -- "nothing has been proven yet" -- I want to know EXACTLY what the very worst thing a Democratic administration has been proven to have done.

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Every Democrat up for election this year is going to try to sell this.  Hell Sanders, Warren, and Harris will run for president on it two years from now.  They will claim it will be paid for by raising taxes on greedy corporations.  Now it's time for a short game of "what happens when."

What happens when communities, counties, and states raise sales taxes?  Do the businesses eat the taxes or do they pass them on to the consumer?

What happens when state and federal gasoline taxes are raised?  Do gas stations and convenience stores eat the tax hike or do they pass it on to the consumer?

What happens when local, state, or federal governments raise alcohol taxes?  Do bars and liquor stores eat the tax or do they pass it on to the consumer?

What happens when local, state, or federal governments raise taxes on ammunition sold in sporting goods stores?  Does the sporting goods store eat the tax increase or do they pass it on to the consumer?

Every tax you raise on a corporation will be a tax passed on to the people who buy the goods and services that corporation provides.   There is no free.  The consumer will be paying for it in one form or another and if they are not paying for their own they are paying for somebody else's. 

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/fredgraph.png?g=lcWJ

3 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

What happens when you give a large tax cut unnecessarily? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/business/trump-corporate-tax-cut-deficit.html

See, I can play this game too. 

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There's more irony in that last bit from EMAWesome than can be found in all the camp skillets ever made.

It's why Trump's lies and bullshit doesn't particularly bother me.  (Though the Puerto Rico death toll stuff is a stupid fight to fight and one he won't win if all he is going to do is argue the numbers.)  Before Trump came along I lived through "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" and "Benghazi was caused by a YouTube video."  Before that I lived through "Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction."  Before that I lived through "I did not have sex with that woman."  Before that I lived through "read my lips, no new taxes."  I've through all the lies and bullshit the last four presidents before Trump slung at me.  I can live through whatever Trump slings at me.

There is a little idealist that sits on one of my shoulders playing a stupid harp that would do John Belushi Blues Brothers in the James Brown church back flips if every politician was bathed in a top secret scientific bubble bath that made it impossible for them to tell a lie.  However there is also a little pragmatist sitting on the other shoulder who keeps poking me in the ear with a shrimp fork saying this is about as likely to happen as seeing  pigs fly in formation with the Blue Angels.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

This isnt acceptable. Accepting it as part of the game and that both sides do it is HOW we got Trump. It wasnt like this before. It all changed with Newt and was made worse by Reid and then worse under the Turtle. We have to go back to a more civil time, where there are moral and ethical lines that neither side crosses, where there is civility and respect from and for both sides, where we value fellow Americans more than the fuckin Russians, where our politicians do their jobs even if that means losing an election, where we demand they do the right thing for us, our children, and our grandchildren. We can be better than this. We ARE better than this. You can be part of the solution or you can keep on with the BUT BOTH SIDES! and continue to be part of the problem. But most on this board, and most are former republicans, have had enough. No more. Fuck this shit. If you cant at the very least be a moral and ethical person then fuck you, you dont belong in office of public trust. FUCK BOTH SIDES bullshit. We are either going back to a more civil, ethical time or we are flying this bitch into the ground. 

Edited by Longhorn94

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Please provide a single act on behalf of a Democratic POTUS or Congress that even approaches what Trump and his team have been accused of.  Don't take the easy way out -- "nothing has been proven yet" -- I want to know EXACTLY what the very worst thing a Democratic administration has been proven to have done.

Bogus idea.  In case you haven't been paying attention Democrats will accuse any Republican of doing anything if they think it helps them politically.   When was the last time Democrats haven't accused Republicans of trying to murder every child or elderly person in the country due to any piece of legislation they try to pass?  When was the last time you heard a Republican member of Congress accuse Democrats of trying to kill people with their health care legislation?  Let's stick to proven facts, not accusations because we live in the Internet Age and any jackass can accuse any other jackass of anything today. 

Just what it has been proven Hillary did with her email server is far, far, far worse than anything Trump has PROVEN to have done.  Has anyone proven that Trump has used the IRS to target political opposition groups yet?  It's been proven the Obama administration did.  How many Branch Davidians has Trump barbecued since he has been in office?  Not as many as Bill Clinton and Janet Reno did in the 1990s.  How many aspirin factories in the Sudan has Trump bombed?  One less than Bill Clinton did.

• Fuck You 1

This isn’t a commentary on Trump specifically, because he’s his own thing.

But the idea of a more civil, ethical time is a myth. It’s something we want to believe, but it’s not really true. Was the election of 1800 civil and ethical? Or the Brooks-Sumner affair? Look at a movie like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, where one honest man stands up to a corrupt political machine-including, most ominously, an outwardly respectable Senator who has sold his soul to accomplish his goals. 

There was no golden age of virtuous politicians.

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

When was the last time Democrats haven't accused Republicans of trying to murder every child or elderly person in the country due to any piece of legislation they try to pass? 

When was the last time you heard a Republican member of Congress accuse Democrats of trying to kill people with their health care legislation?  

Just what it has been proven Hillary did with her email server is far, far, far worse than anything Trump has PROVEN to have done.

Has anyone proven that Trump has used the IRS to target political opposition groups yet?  It's been proven the Obama administration did.  How many Branch Davidians has Trump barbecued since he has been in office?  Not as many as Bill Clinton and Janet Reno did in the 1990s.  How many aspirin factories in the Sudan has Trump bombed?  One less than Bill Clinton did.

You're a fucking lunatic.

Just now, formermav43 said:

But the idea of a more civil, ethical time is a myth. It’s something we want to believe, but it’s not really true. Was the election of 1800 civil and ethical? Or the Brooks-Sumner affair? Look at a movie like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, where one honest man stands up to a corrupt political machine-including, most ominously, an outwardly respectable Senator who has sold his soul to accomplish his goals. 

Well, we haven't had a dual between two members of an administration in over 200 years so we are getting better at something.  I think we are also going on around 150 years without a Senator Gilloolying another Senator over the head with a cane as well.

42 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

10 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Well, we haven't had a dual

What about duel taxation? 

45 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I have no problem whatsoever voting for as many politicians as I can who will raise your taxes. 

It's interesting to see what things bother people specifically.  I consider myself totally immune for the most part to the typical lies and B.S. spewing from both political parties at time, and don't really get into the semantics of who is worse as I feel the severity of an action is often the circumstances of opportunity versus intent.  Having said that, what Trump did with not honoring McCain at first was far, far, more worse to me than anything he has ever said or done and that single act forever took away my vote.  (I did vote for him in 2016 because I did not trust Hillary Clinton but was open to other Democratic candidates)  

7 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I am curious how you would respond to what he said rather than just name calling like Congress does. 

The first statement was outright insanity and absolutely does nothing to advance any shred of conversation.

Republicans ARE trying to kill people with their healthcare concepts.  Scaling back health care to the poor, eliminating coverage of pre-existing conditions -- that causes death.  Cause and effect.  Easy.  Own it.

Hillary's "email server" transgressions have been exhaustingly investigated.  His conclusion is at complete odds with the findings of every investigation.

He forgot "Benghazi!"  and "Uranium!"

It's fucking silly and he's a lunatic.

34 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Man, I like this post. 

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

I would challenge anyone to find one person in that room who has not been lying at some time since this started.  No one lies more to Congress than other members of Congress.

I have lied, but I have never and would never lie under oath while being questioned by Congress during a fucking confirmation hearing unless I was a scumbag that really had something to hide. See the difference?

• Like 1

So, ol' Brett may have been a bit rapey:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress

On Thursday, Senate Democrats disclosed that they had referred a complaint regarding President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the F.B.I. for investigation. The complaint came from a woman who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct when they were both in high school, more than thirty years ago.

The woman, who has asked not to be identified, first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Trump nominated Kavanaugh. The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. Although the alleged incident took place decades ago and the three individuals involved were minors, the woman said that the memory had been a source of ongoing distress for her, and that she had sought psychological treatment as a result.

In a statement, Kavanaugh said, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”

Kavanaugh’s classmate said of the woman’s allegation, “I have no recollection of that.”

The woman declined a request for an interview.

In recent months, the woman had told friends that Kavanaugh’s nomination had revived the pain of the memory, and that she was grappling with whether to go public with her story. She contacted her congresswoman, Anna Eshoo, a Democrat, sending her a letter describing her allegation. (When reached for comment, a spokesperson for Eshoo’s office cited a confidentiality policy regarding constituent services and declined to comment further on the matter.)

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress
On Thursday, Senate Democrats disclosed that they had referred a complaint regarding President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the F.B.I. for investigation. The complaint came from a woman who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct when they were both in high school, more than thirty years ago.
The woman, who has asked not to be identified, first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Trump nominated Kavanaugh. The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. Although the alleged incident took place decades ago and the three individuals involved were minors, the woman said that the memory had been a source of ongoing distress for her, and that she had sought psychological treatment as a result.
In a statement, Kavanaugh said, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”
Kavanaugh’s classmate said of the woman’s allegation, “I have no recollection of that.”
In recent months, the woman had told friends that Kavanaugh’s nomination had revived the pain of the memory, and that she was grappling with whether to go public with her story. She contacted her congresswoman, Anna Eshoo, a Democrat, sending her a letter describing her allegation. (When reached for comment, a spokesperson for Eshoo’s office cited a confidentiality policy regarding constituent services and declined to comment further on the matter.)

In any normal time, he would have to withdraw over this.

5 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Sounds legit. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Would like to think their sales pitch would be we are building deterrents.

After grad school I interviewed with Sandia Labs.  They kept details pretty much on the QT, but at one point I was in an area manager's office and he was gleefully recalling their role in the development of the weapons used to kill Muhamar Khaddafi.  It was more than a little creepy.  I passed on the job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The first statement was outright insanity and absolutely does nothing to advance any shred of conversation.

Republicans ARE trying to kill people with their healthcare concepts.  Scaling back health care to the poor, eliminating coverage of pre-existing conditions -- that causes death.  Cause and effect.  Easy.  Own it.

Hillary's "email server" transgressions have been exhaustingly investigated.  His conclusion is at complete odds with the findings of every investigation.

He forgot "Benghazi!"  and "Uranium!"

It's fucking silly and he's a lunatic.

I disagree with everything you said but I do appreciate an answer rather than just calling someone a name.