Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, realgreggym said:

Its not rocket science. Well, maybe to you.  Go reread your initial post.

Let me break it down for you because civics is super hard and stuff.

When I vote for politicians who will raise your taxes, I am simultaneously (that means at the same time) voting for politicians who will raise my taxes.

Do you need me to draw a picture?

1 minute ago, realgreggym said:

I disagree with everything you said but I do appreciate an answer rather than just calling someone a name.

Let's start at the top.  You agree that the Democrats accuse Republicans "of trying to murder every child or elderly person in the country due to any piece of legislation they try to pass"???

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

After grad school I interviewed with Sandia Labs.  They kept details pretty much on the QT, but at one point I was in an area manager's office and he was gleefully recalling their role in the development of the weapons used to kill Muhamar Khaddafi.  It was more than a little creepy.  I passed on the job.

Huh. I always had you pegged as much older than that.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Democrats accuse Republicans "of trying to murder every child or elderly person in the country due to any piece of legislation they try to pass"???

Now I am torn.  The Rs are trying to kill the living while the Ds are trying to kill the unborn.  I need a party that is trying to kill errybody.  This traffic isn't going to cure itself.

24 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

So, ol' Brett may have been a bit rapey:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress

On Thursday, Senate Democrats disclosed that they had referred a complaint regarding President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the F.B.I. for investigation. The complaint came from a woman who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct when they were both in high school, more than thirty years ago.

The woman, who has asked not to be identified, first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Trump nominated Kavanaugh. The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. Although the alleged incident took place decades ago and the three individuals involved were minors, the woman said that the memory had been a source of ongoing distress for her, and that she had sought psychological treatment as a result.

In a statement, Kavanaugh said, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”

Kavanaugh’s classmate said of the woman’s allegation, “I have no recollection of that.”

The woman declined a request for an interview.

In recent months, the woman had told friends that Kavanaugh’s nomination had revived the pain of the memory, and that she was grappling with whether to go public with her story. She contacted her congresswoman, Anna Eshoo, a Democrat, sending her a letter describing her allegation. (When reached for comment, a spokesperson for Eshoo’s office cited a confidentiality policy regarding constituent services and declined to comment further on the matter.)

But well, you see, even Bill Clinton had sexual misconduct and lied about it so its ok. 

5 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

But well, you see, even Bill Clinton had sexual misconduct and lied about it so its ok. 

Yeah, I gotta be honest here....an uncorroborated story of an attempted sexual assault almost 40 years ago....I can't put any value on that.

Anyone can say anything.  I'm not saying she's lying -- I'm saying that at this late date, there is no way to determine whether she's telling the truth or not (or whether her recollection is accurate, or has morphed over the years as memories do, etc.).

I'm not willing to derail any person's career over a single uncorroborated allegation (for which there is no other evidence) from 40 years ago.  That doesn't mean it DIDN'T happen -- it just means that what we have here doesn't meet even a minimal burden of proof.

Oh, and note that I"m just talking about the issue of THIS allegation.  I think that Kavanaugh has demonstrably lied under oath, and that is a disqualifier, but that's already been discussed at length.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I gotta be honest here....an uncorroborated story of an attempted sexual assault almost 40 years ago....I can't put any value on that.

Anyone can say anything.  I'm not saying she's lying -- I'm saying that at this late date, there is no way to determine whether she's telling the truth or not (or whether her recollection is accurate, or has morphed over the years as memories do, etc.).

I'm not willing to derail any person's career over a single uncorroborated allegation (for which there is no other evidence) from 40 years ago.  That doesn't mean it DIDN'T happen -- it just means that what we have here doesn't meet even a minimal burden of proof.

I'm right there with you honestly. But when the GOP has done everything they can to hide parts of Kavanaugh's past, you have to think there is a bit of dirt there. It may be this, it may be other things, it may be all. But going into this scandal thinking the guy is squeaky clean doesn't work. 

The D answer to this R government may well be just as authoritarian or more.

Incorrect. The democrats punish and tear down their own. And they lose because of it.

Republicans will gleefully support child predators and racists while actively weakening the country to appease their russian bosses.

Republicans are the OU of politics.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Ronan Farrow broke this story. You know, the guy who broke the Weinstein story? You LOVE to talk about Weinstein, so you should LOVE to talk about this too, right?

I love to talk about Weinstein? I honestly have no recollection of that, but I suppose it’s possible. This story sounds completely bogus, I just don’t want you guys to get your hopes up. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's start at the top.  You agree that the Democrats accuse Republicans "of trying to murder every child or elderly person in the country due to any piece of legislation they try to pass"???

I see republicans pushing grandma off of cliffs all the time and whenever I go somewhere, I see children being starved by Republicans.

• Like 1

I see republicans pushing grandma off of cliffs all the time and whenever I go somewhere, I see children being starved by Republicans.

Just like I see Democrats murdering babies all the time and unemployed able bodied men cashing government checks all the time.

Edited by David Dennison

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

When I vote for politicians who will raise your taxes, I am simultaneously (that means at the same time) voting for politicians who will raise my taxes.

Wrong. Libs vote all the time to raise taxes, minimum wages, etc and then try to get out of it when it affects them. Maybe you should pay closer attention to the world around you. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

OK, so you feel compelled to scold me for my reaction to his idiotic statements, you then say you don't agree with anything I said, and now you're dancing around the absurdity that Dems accuse 'pubs of trying to murder every child or elderly with every piece of legislation.  Let's start with, oh, I don't know -- the Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act.  

Dems were howling about all the dead babies and olds on that one?

Really?

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

This isn’t a commentary on Trump specifically, because he’s his own thing.

But the idea of a more civil, ethical time is a myth. It’s something we want to believe, but it’s not really true. Was the election of 1800 civil and ethical? Or the Brooks-Sumner affair? Look at a movie like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, where one honest man stands up to a corrupt political machine-including, most ominously, an outwardly respectable Senator who has sold his soul to accomplish his goals. 

There was no golden age of virtuous politicians.

No disagreement here, but as you said, Trump and Trumpism is its own thing. There's normal political corruption/dishonesty and there's what we have today.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

OK, so you feel compelled to scold me for my reaction to his idiotic statements, you then say you don't agree with anything I said, and now you're dancing around the absurdity that Dems accuse 'pubs of trying to murder every child or elderly with every piece of legislation.  Let's start with, oh, I don't know -- the Weather Research and Forecasting Innovation Act.  

Dems were howling about all the dead babies and olds on that one?

Really?

No, what I was telling you that I appreciated your response even though I disagreed with what you said. You then started this crap.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

No, what I was telling you that I appreciated your response even though I disagreed with what you said. You then started this crap.

OK, so you do believe the Dems accused the 'pubs of trying to kill all babies and olds via the weather forecasting infrastructure bill.

Got it.

You're a lunatic, too.  (Oh, should I not do that?)

Grow some intellectual integrity.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, so you do believe the Dems accused the 'pubs of trying to kill all babies and olds via the weather forecasting infrastructure bill.

Got it.

You're a lunatic, too.  (Oh, should I not do that?)

Grow some intellectual integrity.

Dems have been accusing Rs of murdering everyone long before gore came up with this global warming, climate change or whatever that crap is currently being called.

Maybe you just need to grow up.

Oh, lets not also forget that if you vote republican,, black churches will burn. Thats a good one as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

Dems have been accusing Rs of murdering everyone long before gore came up with this global warming, climate change or whatever that crap is currently being called.

Maybe you just need to grow up.

Oh, lets not also forget that if you vote republican,, black churches will burn. Thats a good one as well.

Republicans have been accusing Democrats of murdering babies and providing handouts to undeserving poors, minorities, and immigrants in exchange for votes for just as long.

Do you have a problem with that?

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Not if you are poor.  Then you pay no taxes

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

While we are on the subject of hypocrisy let's talk about the American voter.  You know the American voter that always bitches about their politicians not being honest with them.  Voters do you know why your politicians feed you bullshit?   Because you would rather eat bullshit that looks like it would taste good than have to swallow nasty looking truth.  

Here is Politician A who the voters should hate because he is feeding them bullshit--"If I win everyone will get free health care, free college, free child care, and none of it will ever come out of your paycheck or bank account."

Here is Politician B who the voters should love because he is being honest with them--"If you are relying on Medicare and Social Security to help ease the burdens of your life a decade or two from now you are fucked.  If you think the budget deficit can just keep growing and growing without some generation down the line taking it in the ass when the rest of the world finally demands the money our country owes them then someday you or your descendants are going to be fucked."

Which politician is going to win an election between these two?  You don't want honest politicians.  You want politicians that will tell you what you want to hear.

First point:  Can you give me examples of actual candidates that are proposing this, exactly this way?    Or maybe some of their original messages have been hijacked and re-worded to say these pie in the sky things?  I think it's in the definitions, and people like you play loose and fast with them. 

Second point:  So you are suggesting politician B is the correct choice here.  But isn't DC being run right now by these B types?  The ones who keep paring down Medicare and have pushed through a tax bill that has now increased the deficit at a record rate, all during a booming economy?  Shouldn't the deficit be declining during boom times?  But instead it's already at the mark they didn't think expect to hit for another 2 years.  Why is that? 

I agree that we should be concerned about the deficit and saddling our kids with that.  What did these Bs do when the the bank/Wall St bailout came around?  Did they say no?  Did they punish those who swindled the country?  Nope, they didn't even increase any watchdog regulations.  In fact they stood by while Trump rolled back even more and installed the foxes on his cabinet to guard the henhouse.   I don't need to cite any of this with links, it's out there. 

So yeah maybe the A's are talking some things that could be wordmongered into outlandish propositions.  And people twist their messages to keep others from voting for those As, thus taking away power from the Bs.

But at least the As are looking for solutions for all and not just screaming hide your gold, hide your guns while doing (or allowing through inaction) the very things you fear, like bloating the deficit and saddling future generations with it.  

And what would those future generations see as a result of the type of spending by the Bs?  Bigger military?  More income disparity?   I am sure the As' plans would increase the deficit too, but I would think the gain would be spread more evenly, allowing more people to gain educations, access affordable healthcare, etc, thus contributing to the country, the economy.  

So yeah, your talk about spreading bullshit is just what it is, bullshit.  It is ironic that the thing you point out as a a negative talking point is something the people you obviously support have been doing, and continue to do. 

5 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

Not if you are poor.  Then you pay no taxes

1 minute ago, AtticusFinch said:

So can someone catch me up on current events...did kavanaugh "stop short" with a girl in high school 40 years ago and now he's being accused of sexual assault by the victim or it it just the Democrats?

lulz

Just asking questions, definitely hasn't already decided what the answer is for himself.

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

When what is true? That Republicans make those accusations?

Come on, man.

When Ds have no problem with partial birth abortion or murder when a child is born. When Ds force poor minority kids into horrible underperforming schools, etc. Thats when its true.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1