Texas Halftime Notes #1: Maryland

Bozo_Casanova

• Despite the stats, defense actually looks OK other than very correctable early season mistakes, but somebody put a body on #6!
  • Gary Johnson's targeting penalty is the dumbest thing a Texas LB has done since Robert Killebrew. I really  like Gary Johnson,  but that was unacceptable. 
  • What the hell was the offense trying to do for the first quarter and a half? It looked like middle school.
  • Oline looks marginally better but still too physically weak
  • Ehlinger playing way too tight.
  • I'd like to see Buechelle come in for a series or two and loosen things up.
  • Why was Kyle Porter in in the game?
  • Watson looks very serviceable, Ingram flashing special potential. 1 and 1a for now. 
  • That "trick play" was a potato party and should never be called again at any level of football. A dang coaching mistake.
  • Punt team is awful. 
  • I hope Hager is OK  -see the trick play sequence above. We should have been marching down the field. 
  •  Refs calling an OK game. 

Pass protection has been pretty good. I was wanting Buechelle in the second quarter. If he has time, he'll cut you up.

Maybe I'm cold-blooded, but I'm sick of hearing about their dead player and everything they're doing about him. The delay of game thing by itself would have been pretty cool.

Now let's get after them in the second half.

1 minute ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Refs need to starting calling PIs against Maryland.  They're draping the receivers.  And that hold call on Shack was weak.  Also missed Maryland picking on a couple occasions.  Otherwise ok. 

+Rep - you are absolutely correct. TONS of defensive holding and mugging while the ball is in the air.  Thus plus side is that CJ made that amazing catch even though the Maryland DB was all over him right before the catch.

I also thought that the refs missed a ton of fairly obvious holds on Maryland, but I guess Big XII refs gonna Big XII ref even when they're generally doing OK - by their standards, anyway.

We are going to be fine. D looked terrible on first drive but that’s the first drive of the season. They get a pass there. That 65-yard bomb was a terrible pick play coverage that will easily get cleaned up. And if Boyd had held onto the INT, that wouldn’t have happened, and the D really would have looked fairly good for a first game against a not-untalented O in our first game. 

The O on the last 3 drives looked fine. Sam settling, the line looking better, and the play calling were night and day from the first 4 or so drives. 

We are going to win this game like 39-31. And then get a lot better en route to 9 wins. 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

This game shows me so far that if we want to win 9-10 games we have to run the ball and dominate so we don’t have to rely on ehlinger dropping back and picking apart a defense which he can’t do.

when a QB has all day to throw and no one is open your QB ain't the problem

3 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

We are going to be fine. D looked terrible on first drive but that’s the first drive of the season. They get a pass there. That 65-yard bomb was a terrible pick play coverage that will easily get cleaned up. And if Boyd had held onto the INT, that wouldn’t have happened, and the D really would have looked fairly good for a first game against a not-untalented O in our first game. 

The O on the last 3 drives looked fine. Sam settling, the line looking better, and the play calling were night and day from the first 4 or so drives. 

We are going to win this game like 39-31. And then get a lot better en route to 9 wins. 

imgur

5 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

+Rep - you are absolutely correct. TONS of defensive holding and mugging while the ball is in the air.  Thus plus side is that CJ made that amazing catch even though the Maryland DB was all over him right before the catch.

I also thought that the refs missed a ton of fairly obvious holds on Maryland, but I guess Big XII refs gonna Big XII ref even when they're generally doing OK - by their standards, anyway.

the bigger problem is teh terps defenders are all over the WR in teh first place. they know every route. 

our offense gets Techmo Bowl'ed one in every 3 plays.