do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Good catch.  

I always thought the conversation Kramer has with the Stephen Root banker over the 'Hello' $100 and whether his desk was pine or oak, was a callback to Mr. Wolf and Tarantino talking about oak furniture. 

Same, though I think it is more likely coincidence. 

You got a greeting, it starts with an H, how’s 20 bucks sound?

On 6/26/2023 at 7:54 PM, YGIFS said:

Good catch.  

I always thought the conversation Kramer has with the Stephen Root banker over the 'Hello' $100 and whether his desk was pine or oak, was a callback to Mr. Wolf and Tarantino talking about oak furniture. 

On 6/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Same, though I think it is more likely coincidence. 

You got a greeting, it starts with an H, how’s 20 bucks sound?

I'm revising my opinion here.  After seeing the Pulp Fiction reference with Newman as the cleaner in the muffin tops episode, and also checking the release dates of the episodes, I think the desk conversation was a deliberate reference as well.

Pulp Fiction was released in May of 1994.  The desk conversation was in the finale of season 7, released May 1996, and Newman and the muffin tops was in season 8, released May 1997.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

So concerned was he, that word of his poor tennis skills might leak out, he chose to offer you his wife as some sort of mediaeval sexual payola?

He's new around here.

Well that's a risk you take when you dabble in the flesh trade

• Hook 'Em 1

Elaine wasn't around.  The female lead was a waitress at said establishment.  And what have they done to poor Morty Seinfeld!  The devotes 35 years of his life to selling raincoats in the garment district to be cast aside by the likes of some Barney Martin?  For shame!

Still blows me away whenever I read/hear the story of Julia not finding out about the pilot episode until 2-3 seasons into the series.  Nobody in all that time, on the set or writer's room, or producer's meetings, or network meetings, ever casually mentioned the original episode in passing?  That's insane.  But also kinda indicative of the show itself.  They didn't really have to pay attention to the groundwork they were laying, plot inconsistencies, multi-season arcs, etc.  Because none of that shit actually mattered to the show in the end.  Yet another reason we love it to this day more than ever.  The only thing that never falls apart over time is laughing at the everyday mundane because everyday brings more.

Don't know what made me think of him today, but if you've ever wondered where Uncle Leo got his trademark "Hello" from.  You can thank, of all people, Dean Martin.

Forward to the 50:30 mark, over Dean's right shoulder, watch for two minutes:

Supposedly they meant to when they first brought him on, being a big name on a show so young.  But he hated the experience IRL, didn't see how the show was funny, and most of the cast & crew said he was miserable to work with but that they'd stick it out for the good of the show.  But in the end, he told 'em to fuck off.  He still worked quite a bit over the final decade of his life, including a then little-known Quentin Tarantino project just one year later.  Thus solidifying my theory that Quentin looked to Seinfeld and vice-versa a lot more than we realize................Lawrence Tierney, aka Alton Benes, goes on to be Joe "The Thing" Cabot.  And does Joe verbally imply not once, not twice, but thrice in "Reservoir Dogs", that he does not like it when people are trying to be funny when it's not situationally appropriate...just like he had to tell George and Jerry.  

-He tells 'em to quit fucking about at breakfast

-He kinda puts the skids on the jovial reunion between Mr. White, himself, and Nice Guy Eddie so they can get serious and talk jobs.

-He tells 'em to quit cutting up when they're going through the layout of the diamond shop, saying there'll be a time for joking around when the job is done and they're goofing around on the beach.

Edited by YGIFS

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Supposedly they meant to when they first brought him on, being a big name on a show so young.  But he hated the experience IRL, didn't see how the show was funny, and most of the cast & crew said he was miserable to work with but that they'd stick it out for the good of the show.  But in the end, he told 'em to fuck off.  He still worked quite a bit over the final decade of his life, including a then little-known Quentin Tarantino project just one year later.  Thus solidifying my theory that Quentin looked to Seinfeld and vice-versa a lot more than we realize................Lawrence Tierney, aka Alton Benes, goes on to be Joe "The Thing" Cabot.  And does Joe verbally imply not once, not twice, but thrice in "Reservoir Dogs", that he does not like it when people are trying to be funny when it's not situationally appropriate...just like he had to tell George and Jerry.  

-He tells 'em to quit fucking about at breakfast

-He kinda puts the skids on the jovial reunion between Mr. White, himself, and Nice Guy Eddie so they can get serious and talk jobs.

-He tells 'em to quit cutting up when they're going through the layout of the diamond shop, saying there'll be a time for joking around when the job is done and they're goofing around on the beach.

While we were planning this caper, all we did was sit around telling fucking jokes!

• Haha 1