do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

Pun intended:  THREAD DERAIL BY LOBO TIME! 

Without looking, name an episode (doesn't have to be the actual title, can use terse description) where 1 or more of the main 4 are on a Subway.  It's rarer than you think considering it's New York and they're all relatively middle-class.  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Pun intended:  THREAD DERAIL BY LOBO TIME! 

Without looking, name an episode (doesn't have to be the actual title, can use terse description) where 1 or more of the main 4 are on a Subway.  It's rarer than you think considering it's New York and they're all relatively middle-class.  

Jerry and the naked guy going to Coney Island. 
Kramer and the horse racing. His mudder was a mudder?  
Elaine and the TV guide guy 

Elaine and the lesbian wedding conversation 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well we’ve already exhausted the list IIRC from memory.  There are far more car-based episodes than subway/bus/train.  I’m guessing they did to make it more relatable to the rest of the country.  Shit; there’s more parking-centric episodes than subway. 

READY, GO!!!

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

uromysitisis

Red Chinese prison

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well we’ve already exhausted the list IIRC from memory.  There are far more car-based episodes than subway/bus/train.  I’m guessing they did to make it more relatable to the rest of the country.  Shit; there’s more parking-centric episodes than subway. 

READY, GO!!!

There are so many scenes inside cars.  I’d venture to say more than half of the episodes have at least one. 

I watched The Library yesterday and had forgotten that Mr. Lippmann is another character in which the actor was changed. Also, I saw a Reddit topic a few weeks ago about the best one-off character in the show, and while many are great, it has to be Inspector Bookman, right?

“Well, let me tell you something, funny boy. Y'know that little stamp, the one that says ‘New York Public Library’? Well that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole hell of a lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before: Flashy, making the scene, flouting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. What's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Well, let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world, but what about that kid, sitting down, opening a book, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat and the Five Chinese Brothers? Doesn't HE deserve better? Look. If you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped! Or maybe that turns you on, Seinfeld; maybe that's how you get your kicks. You and your good-time buddies. Well I got a flash for ya, joy-boy: Party time is over.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

That's a good question for debate.  Philip Baker Hall as Bookman.  Obviously a one-off, single episode character.  I think that was his only scene too, no?  He may have been in one briefly at the library proper, I can't remember.  But yeah, like Lawrence Tierney as Elaine's dad, PBH was a very well known character actor on screen and stage at the point he did Seinfeld.  And he absolutely nails that scene.  I've often wondered how many takes it took to get that because Jerry had to have broken character so many times.  

But to your point, there were some bigger names that did a 1-episode stint.  Certainly some very attractive women as 1-episode girlfriends.  Some absolute star-power, but I don't know that anybody ever took such a pedestrian monologue and made it as sublimely funny as did PBH with that Bookman deal.  I know he comes back in the finale, but yeah---who else ran with such a small slice of Seinfeld into the sunset like that?  All the other ones I'm thinking of had so much more to work with.  He had to take a rather silly premise and make if dryly ribald with impeccable timing and the body language of a mime.  Watch the way he pivots around on his heels at just the right moment and lets his jacket hit just right.  It's a fucking thing of beauty is what it is.  And if you pay real close attention to that raincoat, you;ll notice something is missing.  And not by coincidence.  

49 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That's a good question for debate.  Philip Baker Hall as Bookman.  Obviously a one-off, single episode character.  I think that was his only scene too, no?  He may have been in one briefly at the library proper, I can't remember.  But yeah, like Lawrence Tierney as Elaine's dad, PBH was a very well known character actor on screen and stage at the point he did Seinfeld.  And he absolutely nails that scene.  I've often wondered how many takes it took to get that because Jerry had to have broken character so many times.  

But to your point, there were some bigger names that did a 1-episode stint.  Certainly some very attractive women as 1-episode girlfriends.  Some absolute star-power, but I don't know that anybody ever took such a pedestrian monologue and made it as sublimely funny as did PBH with that Bookman deal.  I know he comes back in the finale, but yeah---who else ran with such a small slice of Seinfeld into the sunset like that?  All the other ones I'm thinking of had so much more to work with.  He had to take a rather silly premise and make if dryly ribald with impeccable timing and the body language of a mime.  Watch the way he pivots around on his heels at just the right moment and lets his jacket hit just right.  It's a fucking thing of beauty is what it is.  And if you pay real close attention to that raincoat, you;ll notice something is missing.  And not by coincidence.  

He had a few separate scenes in that episode, including when he caught Kramer and the librarian after hours.

"I remember when the librarian was a much older woman: Kindly, discreet, unattractive. We didn't know anything about her private life. We didn't WANT to know anything about her private life. She didn't HAVE a private life.”

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1