Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

Will this girl be live tweeting like the girl in the starfucker killer case? Not quite as fascinating as that one, but that was a good way to follow it. For me, at least. 

She’s probably watching the live stream online video feed. Phones and iPads etc not allowed inside the courtroom. DMN seems to be putting much of the content behind their paywall, so not sure how this will go.

3 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Prosecutor in opening statement brings up the information about Jean smoking weed. Says the “why” will be explained later by his sister.

I guess they wanted to get that out front and in the open lest the defense "surprise" the jury with some reefer madness.  Which meant it was coming into evidence.

There is no way in the world a Black man in a middle-class apartment building in the South would get out weed, let alone smoke it, with his fucking door ajar.  Even the highest, most stoned black man is gonna close the door, lock it, close the patio door, close all the vents, put towels down at the bottom of the doors, and breathe through a paper towel roll with a dryer sheet shoved inside it.  This is not the movie "Friday", your honor---where Black men just sit on their patio and smoke to their hearts content with no regard for neighbors, nearby children, or law enforcement.  The victim was completely innocent, not a Chris Trucker charicature.  

Anyway, curious to see how the rest of the day shakes out.  

Prosecution opening statement was out in front to refute the expected “mistake of fact” defense from Guyger. They mentioned the many differences between her apartment and his: his smelled like weed hers did not, his was messy hers clean, she had no welcome matt he had a red one (displayed to the jury). Prosecution says she parked on wrong floor (4) and passed by 16 apartments on that floor without noticing she was on the wrong floor. Then the info about making plans to hook up that night with fellow DPD officer to refute the expected “she was really tired” claim.

If I'm driving a car and preoccupied while sexting my wife...thereby running over a pedestrian;  I'm fucked (not in the way I wanted).

Same scenario and I'm too preoccupied sexting that I don't pay attention to where I park or that I'm at the wrong apartment door.......?

The timing of those texts as it related to when she entered the garage and when she opened his door will obviously be critical.

Edited by Reagan1k

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Defense says this comes down to reason and common sense. She thought she was in her own apartment and there was an intruder and she had no choice but to use her gun for self defense.

Are they going to present pictures of his apartment and how it is furnished compared to hers? Common sense has to kick in at some point and tell you this is not your house. This isn't a hotel where every room looks the same. I think this could be more plausible if it happened at a hotel room. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Defense begins opening statement by calling this “an epic tragedy”.

That she was allowed to ever be a police officer in the first place?  Yes, I concur 100% your honor.  Ipso facto...Corpus Christi!  

2 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Opening statements scheduled to begin at 12:30pm. Judge says jury will be sequestered for entirety of the trial.

Let's say I'm a Sales executive at a high growth software company that's trying to go public and someone decides that they want me on this jury. It's going to cause me to miss an end of quarter, which could be devastating to my company's growth goals. 

How bad are the consequences if I tell them thanks, but no thanks, I have other shit to attend to? 

2 minutes ago, housious said:

Let's say I'm a Sales executive at a high growth software company that's trying to go public and someone decides that they want me on this jury. It's going to cause me to miss an end of quarter, which could be devastating to my company's growth goals. 

How bad are the consequences if I tell them thanks, but no thanks, I have other shit to attend to? 

I think the preferred method is to accidentally shoot one of your fingers off before marching towards battle.

2 minutes ago, housious said:

That's when you say you've been obsessively following the case and there's no way in hell she shouldn't spend the rest of her life in jail during jury selection.