Dallas officer kills man after mistaking apartment for her own, police say

'stache

4 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Defense says Jean was shot 13-15 feet away from the door, per the Texas Rangers investigation and report. Defense says this is evidence of Jean moving from the couch towards her and the door.

yeah because fuck anybody who walks towards the motherfucker that just entered their home lol

• Like 1

Defense argument contradicts itself. It can’t simultaneously be impossible to tell what floor you’re on and also reasonable to not take .8 seconds to look at the elevator or apt numbers before walking past 16 doors just to find out you’re on the wrong floor. Wouldn’t that suck to walk all that way when you’re OMG SO EXHAUSTED YOU GUYS FORTY HOURS IN ONLY FOUR DAYS ALSO SHE WOKE UP EARLY TO WALK HER DOG.

Defense argument contradicts itself. It can’t simultaneously be impossible to tell what floor you’re on and also reasonable to not take .8 seconds to look at the elevator or apt numbers before walking past 16 doors just to find out you’re on the wrong floor. Wouldn’t that suck to walk all that way when you’re OMG SO EXHAUSTED YOU GUYS FORTY HOURS IN ONLY FOUR DAYS ALSO SHE WOKE UP EARLY TO WALK HER DOG.

I would like to see pictures or video of the hallway. Defense claiming that the apartment numbers are high up and Guyger being 5’3” didn’t or wouldn’t easily notice them.

I would like to see pictures or video of the hallway. Defense claiming that the apartment numbers are high up and Guyger being 5’3” didn’t or wouldn’t easily notice them.

Me too. But even if you have to look up, if those are the only possible way to know what floor you were on, wouldn’t any reasonable person do that?

54 minutes ago, housious said:

Let's say I'm a Sales executive at a high growth software company that's trying to go public and someone decides that they want me on this jury. It's going to cause me to miss an end of quarter, which could be devastating to my company's growth goals. 

How bad are the consequences if I tell them thanks, but no thanks, I have other shit to attend to? 

I got called for the Aurora theater shooting trial in Denver.  Had to go in and spend a day filling out a ~40 page questionnaire.  Let's just say I made sure that neither side wanted me on that jury.

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

Me too. But even if you have to look up, if those are the only possible way to know what floor you were on, wouldn’t any reasonable person do that?

Yep.  And would have noticed things out of place almost immediately when things went south.

I once ran a red light late one night -- had been working long hours for weeks, it was late, and I was on autopilot.  Saw a light two intersections up turn green, and I went....right through a red.  With a cop right next to me, and traffic coming the other way.  As I pulled into the intersection, I had several things (think red floormat, smell of weed, different furniture layout) that flagged me immediately that I was NOT proceeding through a green light (like I initially thought) - oncoming traffic (they all stopped, thinking I was a madman), the glow of a red light immediately overhead, the open mouthed amazement of the cop I could see in my rearview mirror.

In other words, from "exhausted mistake" to "I made a mistake" happened in about .5 seconds, based on some easy flags.*  Her reaction, while not processing ANY of the information that told her that she was NOT in her apartment, means that this was not a reasonable mistake.

*By the way, I went ahead and pulled over into a parking lot proactively.  The cop flicked his lights on and pulled up behind me - he surely thought he had a DWI ready to go.  He pauses, and aks me "so what the heck was that?"  I explained "I don't know -- I saw the light turn green up ahead, and that's what I went on.  And I'm really tired, I've been working a lot of long hours."  Backup got there, they discussed, and he told me to get home safely and get some rest.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  And would have noticed things out of place almost immediately when things went south.

I once ran a red light late one night -- had been working long hours for weeks, it was late, and I was on autopilot.  Saw a light two intersections up turn green, and I went....right through a red.  With a cop right next to me, and traffic coming the other way.  As I pulled into the intersection, I had several things (think red floormat, smell of weed, different furniture layout) that flagged me immediately that I was NOT proceeding through a green light (like I initially thought) - oncoming traffic (they all stopped, thinking I was a madman), the glow of a red light immediately overhead, the open mouthed amazement of the cop I could see in my rearview mirror.

In other words, from "exhausted mistake" to "I made a mistake" happened in about .5 seconds, based on some easy flags.*  Her reaction, while not processing ANY of the information that told her that she was NOT in her apartment, means that this was not a reasonable mistake.

*By the way, I went ahead and pulled over into a parking lot proactively.  The cop flicked his lights on and pulled up behind me - he surely thought he had a DWI ready to go.  He pauses, and aks me "so what the heck was that?"  I explained "I don't know -- I saw the light turn green up ahead, and that's what I went on.  And I'm really tired, I've been working a lot of long hours."  Backup got there, they discussed, and he told me to get home safely and get some rest.

Yeah, but did you get shot?

1 hour ago, housious said:

Let's say I'm a Sales executive at a high growth software company that's trying to go public and someone decides that they want me on this jury. It's going to cause me to miss an end of quarter, which could be devastating to my company's growth goals. 

How bad are the consequences if I tell them thanks, but no thanks, I have other shit to attend to? 

Tell them you don’t think women should allowed to be police officers or own firearms.   Ask them if you can take notes or video for a book or blog you are planning.  Tell them you plan on writing s book.  Tell them you’ve been following this case from the start, and you don’t need no fancy trial to know whether she’s guilty or not.  

34 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

30 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

KPPNKOAC7VGH47L3JKBIWYIV7E.jpg

570cea86aa7eff926309c3186a66beb0.jpg

Completely absurd to say a 5'3" person can't easily see the apartment number on that display. The number is maybe 6' above the floor, tops.

• Like 2

I dislike the light-colored courtrooms they have put in Crowley.  Lacks dignity.  And the corner benches are a traveshamockery.  Even the brutalist courtrooms in Allen are better.  Shit, there are more dignified JP courts in Dallas County.

And, those number markers are among the biggest triumphs of form over function I have ever encountered.  That number is at about 6' from the floor.  It should be where the door knocker is.

Edited by TwiceHorn
function/form style/substance whatever

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So it was quite common for residents to mistakenly park on the wrong floor. Wouldn't that indicate a reasonable person would check suite numbers upon entering a hallway? 

Are you telling me the thread about wives with their noses stuck in their phones 24/7 is all a lie??? Just about every person I see that's under age 30 can't walk around without looking down at their phone. Her walking around, oblivious of her surroundings, is one of the few things I think actually happened in this case.

But like the Sooner said, they're trying to have it both ways. They're arguing that this apartment complex makes it nearly impossible to know what floor you're on without checking. People even park on the wrong floor all the time.

So in this world where confusion reigns and nobody is ever sure where they are, apparently when a strange person was in what she thought was her apartment in that moment she had zero doubt it was her apartment so she shot him. Not buying it. You just told me it's a confusing place where everybody knows they need to double check where they are all the time but now you're telling me she was absolutely certain of where she was. If I live in a confusing apartment complex where people are always on the wrong floor then any reasonable person double checks the floor when they get to the first apartment from the parking garage.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Too short to see the apartment numbers. Too tall to see the red door mat. She's the Goldilocks defendant.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Prosecution and defense arguing over whether Guyger was responsible to act as if on duty as DPD during the incident inside the apartment. Prosecution says she was to act as if on duty and therefore to follow proper DPD procedures.

Actually an interesting point.  From a Texas Attorney General opinion, a summary of the law on the issue:

Peace officers also have a statutory duty “to preserve the peace within the officer’s jurisdiction.” TEX. CODE CRIM. PROC. ANN. art. 2.13(a)-(b)(l), (4) (Vernon Supp. 2003). Whenever, in the presence or within the view of a peace officer, “one person is about to commit an offense against the person or property of another,” it is the officer’s duty to prevent it. Id. art. 6.06. “[A] police officer’s ‘off-duty’ status is not a limitation upon the discharge of police authority in the presence of criminal activity.” Wood v. State, 486 S.W.2d 771, 774 (Tex. Crim. App. 1972). A peace officer possesses the full powers of a peace officer in the presence of criminal activity and may take action despite being off-duty. See, e.g., Hafdahl v. State, 805 S.W.2d 396, 401 (Tex. Crim. App. 1990) (en bane) (police officer, driving home after shift ended, was in lawful discharge of his official dutywhen he stopped to investigate scene oftraffic accident), Wood, 486 S.W.2d at 773 (off-duty uniformed police officers directing traffic from private parking lot to street were authorized to make arrest for breach of the peace).

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

But like the Sooner said, they're trying to have it both ways. They're arguing that this apartment complex makes it nearly impossible to know what floor you're on without checking. People even park on the wrong floor all the time.

So in this world where confusion reigns and nobody is ever sure where they are, apparently when a strange person was in what she thought was her apartment in that moment she had zero doubt it was her apartment so she shot him. Not buying it. You just told me it's a confusing place where everybody knows they need to double check where they are all the time but now you're telling me she was absolutely certain of where she was. If I live in a confusing apartment complex where people are always on the wrong floor then any reasonable person double checks the floor when they get to the first apartment from the parking garage.

I like your argument here.  A good "you can't have it both ways" argument.  Reminiscent of...

Kaffee:
Crystal. Colonel, I just have one more question before I put Airman O'Malley and Airman Rodriguez on the stand. If you gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would Santiago be in danger? Why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?

Jessup:
Santiago was a substandard marine. He was being transferred...

Kaffee:
That's not what you said. You said he was being transferred, because he was in grave danger.

Jessup:
That's correct.

Kaffee:
You said he was in danger. I said "grave danger"? You said...

Jessup:
I recall what I said.

Kaffee:
I could have the court reporter read back to you...

Jessup:
I know what I said! I don't have to have it read back to me, like I'm...

Kaffee:
Then why the two orders? Colonel?

Jessup:
Sometimes men take matters into their own hands.

Kaffee:
No, sir. You made it clear just a moment ago that your men never take matters into their own hands. Your men follow orders or people die. So Santiago shouldn't have been in any danger at all, should he have, Colonel?

Jessup:
You snotty, little bastard.

Ross:
Your honor, I'd like to ask for recess.

Kaffee:
I'd like an answer to the question, Judge.

Judge:
The court will wait for an answer.

Kaffee:
If Lt. Kendrick gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, then why did he have to be transferred? Colonel? Lt. Kendrick ordered the Code Red, didn't he? Because that's what you told Lt. Kendrick to do!

39 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

KPPNKOAC7VGH47L3JKBIWYIV7E.jpg

570cea86aa7eff926309c3186a66beb0.jpg

Completely absurd to say a 5'3" person can't easily see the apartment number on that display. The number is maybe 6' above the floor, tops.

What an unbelievably shitty apartment number display design. What the fuck. FWIW I think this bitch murdered the guy and should rot in prison for many years at least. But damn.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually an interesting point.  From a Texas Attorney General opinion, a summary of the law on the issue:

Yep, and on the flip, it's very similar to a CCL holder/other concerned citizen  being able to defend a third party with deadly force if said third party is in imminent danger of their life.  I think it should be expected that a police officer be held to the standard of their badge. (if they exist).  

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yup. If this is the point they are going to argue that this complex setup makes it so easy to get confused, then that goes against her own defense of her being so sure this was her house and he was an intruder. If this complex is that confusing, then shouldn't a reasonable person maybe step back if they see someone they don't know in the house and none of the surroundings look familiar and check to make sure they are at their own residence? They are all over the place here. 

Just now, Bruh Man said:

Her boyfriend just confirmed they had a sexual relationship up until that day. Her defense attorney in his opening statement claimed they were just flirting that day and hadn't been intimate for months.

Liar liar pants on fire....

Her whole story stinks and is full of shit. I am certain more is going to come out.

I was watching live but then had to take a conference call right before they recessed. The  defense wanted an ongoing objection to any texts between Amber and Officer Rivera. What was the judge's ruling on this? 

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Her boyfriend just confirmed they had a sexual relationship up until that day. Her defense attorney in his opening statement claimed they were just flirting that day and hadn't been intimate for months.

Liar liar pants on fire....

1) bad form to lie in your opening statement.  Doesn't set a good pattern.  And you damned well know the DA put a pin in that.  "Remember when Amber's lawyer told you "nope, they hadn't had sex in months," and just a couple of hours later, her boyfriend told you that was a lie, they'd been having sex right up until then?"

2) Man, they had a sexual relationship up until that day, but not INCLUDING that day?  Because according to leading LEO experts, he was really missing out:

In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”