Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Main takeaway there: politicians negatively campaign because IT WORKS.  Beto refusing to go negative will mean that he loses.  It will ALWAYS mean that a person running for office will lose.

You are running against a person and  a party that has embraced lying on a level that defies any historical comparison, that has openly built into its platform disenfranchisement of any demographic that might vote against them, etc.  And you're going to play by Marquess of Queensberry rules?  Pure folly.

Don't fight dirty.

Fight dirtier.

Beto was always going to lose. Democrats will lose in statewide races until they don't. Then it's over for Republicans here. It's not if, but when. They know it. Everyone in this state and this country knows it. Texas is going to be blue.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The mythological Texans may feel that way.

But real Texans are not very smart.

you know thats not true. they just arent being honest about why they are voting republican be it closeted racism or putting saving taxes over Texas, whatever the reason.

if more people would vote like they live their lives, we would be in a much better place. in real life, if you lie to someone's face, especially a Texan, they will call you out on it. but fuck no at the ballot box if there is money involved, or there is a chance to hold the brown man down or let's pretend like we care about saving babies by stating that abstinence is actually something that works. 

Most Texans would kick the shit out of Ted the Canadian Cruz if he tried to pull this bullshit to their faces. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

you know thats not true. they just arent being honest about why they are voting republican be it closeted racism or putting saving taxes over Texas, whatever the reason.

if more people would vote like they live their lives, we would be in a much better place. in real life, if you lie to someone's face, especially a Texan, they will call you out on it. but fuck no at the ballot box if there is money involved, or there is a chance to hold the brown man down or let's pretend like we care about saving babies by stating that abstinence is actually something that works. 

Most Texans would kick the shit out Ted the Canadian Cruz if he tried to pull this bullshit to their faces. 

Your faith in humanity is unsupportable, and misplaced.

Bet on stupid.  It has the track record.  Layer it with malevolence (closeted racism/contempt for "the other"), and you've got an even more accurate picture.

Lies work.  They work because stupid people believe them, because stupid people WANT to believe them.  My thesis here is not particularly clever or novel -- it's simply based on teh clear evidence in front of your face.  Or maybe you live in a world where Ted Cruz isn't our senator and Trump isn't our president.  If you do, I'd like to go there with you.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your faith in humanity is unsupportable, and misplaced.

Bet on stupid.  It has the track record.  Layer it with malevolence (closeted racism/contempt for "the other"), and you've got an even more accurate picture.

Lies work.  They work because stupid people believe them, because stupid people WANT to believe them.  My thesis here is not particularly clever or novel -- it's simply based on teh clear evidence in front of your face.  Or maybe you live in a world where Ted Cruz isn't our senator and Trump isn't our president.  If you do, I'd like to go there with you.

i dont disagree with you. my point was that Texans are better in real life than they vote.

i have been at a legal conference all week so im getting a little restless...

Edited by Longhorn94

I don't know. I mean maybe my kids could have a step up as well if I was more well versed in the ins and outs of tax fraud.

Don't fall into promoting the saintly life story of these these assholes.  Beto is better than Cruz, clearly. And has a good many positions that I agree with. But he is still part of a totally disconnected from reality elite political apparatus in DC. No waving of hands changes that.  

So you’re concerned that both sides send elites to Washington.

13 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

So you’re concerned that both sides send elites to Washington.

I am point out that our political class are disconnected from and do not represent the life experiences of the vast majority of Americans. Charming and empathetic personality and charismatic presence aside, Beto falls largely into the same boat. Of course next to the social and political retard Ted Cruz, he looks like Mahatma Gandhi. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking as guy who was born into no money*, I can’t think of a reason to have problem with that. They started well capitalized and created a real business out of it. That’s more than most rich kids do. What’s the problem?

*I married well, but none of that goes to me or my wife.

Did you potentially use imminent domain to help your family?  See the response in a city council meeting in El Paso after it is alleged that Beto perhaps did just that:

New Cruz ad:(click to the left of the tweety bird to view ad video)

BTW, I don't know if he did or didn't.  Some residents, of his then district, don't seem too pleased in the ad.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Oh stop the bullshit.  If he had said that he would have voted for Kavanaugh, you and your friends would have just called him a liar.

What bullshit?   He told the truth.  The Kavanaugh issue is not helping him at all. And it hurt dems in a few other red state senate races

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

Well, it seems the Surly brain trust has decided it's time to go negative. Troph, could you let the campaign know?

I’m in the camp that national dems should fund negative ads on cruz with zero coordination with Beto. Let’s Beto stay clean while damaging Cruz 

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

i would think Republicans would jump at the chance to vote for the guy who has been extremely successful in business as the guy who would help the Texas business community more than a career political hack who is a lawyer to boot! Clearly the Texas business guy is better for the energy industry than the ambulance chasing parasite. 

Trump has finally dispelled any delusion that Republican voters care about their positions or principles and was only to win elections and justify their racist and radical policies 

• Like 1

I am point out that our political class are disconnected from and do not represent the life experiences of the vast majority of Americans. Charming and empathetic personality and charismatic presence aside, Beto falls largely into the same boat. Of course next to the social and political retard Ted Cruz, he looks like Mahatma Gandhi. 

Which time period since 1900 did you have federal officials closely in tune with the vast majority of Americans? Who were they and what demonstrated their sincere engagement with the populace.

I will grant that post-Citizens United, the outcomes of legislation show little regard to citizen sentiments. If you’d like to reform elections, then you need to vote straight-ticket democrat for the next 20 years at least. All the CU judges are GOP appointees. All the dissenters are Dems. Both sides do not agree on election reform.

51 minutes ago, zork said:

Did you potentially use imminent domain to help your family?  See the response in a city council meeting in El Paso after it is alleged that Beto perhaps did just that:

BTW, I don't know if he did or didn't.  Some residents, of his then district, don't seem too pleased in the ad.

It's spelled "eminent domain," Beto didn't, and Ted Cruz would condemn his own mother's house if there was a buck a lobbyist friend of his could make off of it.

55 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

What bullshit?   He told the truth.  The Kavanaugh issue is not helping him at all. And it hurt dems in a few other red state senate races

Oh noes!  He'll never get your vote now.  For voters that actually matter, the Kavanaugh issue is largely irrelevant.  If it does anything at all, it helps drive out the base that he needs who are the same type of people who want Manchin gone for voting yes, but who may not show up otherwise.  You and your ilk were always going to the polls no matter what, and you only get to fill in that Cruz bubble one time no matter what Beto says.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Oh noes!  He'll never get your vote now.  For voters that actually matter, the Kavanaugh issue is largely irrelevant.  If it does anything at all, it helps drive out the base that he needs who are the same type of people who want Manchin gone for voting yes, but who may not show up otherwise.  You and your ilk were always going to the polls no matter what, and you only get to fill in that Cruz bubble one time no matter what Beto says.

I was talking about me.  Kavanaugh hurts red state senate democrats.   Texas.  Tennessee.  AZ.  North Dakota.  

1 hour ago, zork said:

I actually do know.He didn't. He actually voted to ban the use of eminent domain for El Plan. This is discussed pretty extensively here:

On 10/4/2018 at 6:52 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

@deadshank , I happen to have some experience in the oversight of large scale zoning and redevelopment cases , and they have some common characteristics.

1) They attract a broad range of well connected long time residents and entrepreneurs. Since this is also the population that produces most zoning commissioners, council members and civic leaders, the people driving big plans, the people who oppose them and those who approve them or not usually know each other, at least in passing. So these fights are pretty much intramurals and the people involved have axes to grind going back decades.

2) Long time residents who oppose the plans view support for massive rezoning and redevelopment of blighted areas with suspicion and view the connections above as evidence of corruption. 

I see the classic pattern in the Segundo Barrio: competing factions of progressive do-gooders: the re-builders who want to grow the tax base and improve an area to the benefit of a neglected population and the preservationist coalition who oppose change for wide range of reasons including the very reasonable fear of displacement. The re-builders are invariably cast as evil developers and corrupt profiteers. The preservationists are cast  as a coalition of obstructionists. That's just how it always works. 

But I digress. Here's the Beto paragraph. Show your work on these three parts:

1) What was "shady"?

2) How were the poor have been negatively impacted by his actions and

3) How was his FIL clearly benefited?

BY the way - it might also interest you to know that O'Rourke actually voted to BAN the use of eminent domain as part of El Plan almost a year before the story you linked was published.

• Like 2

Some idiot on fb was explaining he wouldn't vote for Beto because of all the crimes he committed, including "tax evasion, eminent domain, and armed robbery."

And people like that will never ever ever admit they're wrong even in the face of indisputable contrary facts. Can we have a plague that only attacks the stupid and vicious?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I was talking about me.  Kavanaugh hurts red state senate democrats.   Texas.  Tennessee.  AZ.  North Dakota.  

What do you have to do with red state Democrats?  Your vote is decided.  You should just go ahead and fill in (R) Name To Be Determined on every ballot for the rest of your life.  There is absolutely nothing Beto could do to get your vote, and nothing Cruz could do to lose it.  Cruz could fuck your wife on your coffee table, shoot your dog, and steal and dissolve your business, and you'll still be voting for him.  And really, there are just about 0 potential votes that Beto had a shot with that are now lost.  You always vote.  You always vote R.  Who gives a fuck if you pretend to be extra mad now.  You still only have one vote each.  Plenty of folks hate your ilk though.  Beto's trying to get them to turn out.  Again, usually they don't.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

Here's what I wonder.  "Don't turn Texas into California!!!!"

What the fuck does that mean?  Does it mean DON'T have Texas jump from being ranked 13th, all the way up to 8th (where California is) in per capita GDP?  Wait, maybe it means DON'T have Texas jump from being the 10th ranked economy up to California's 4th ranked economy?  Or should we not aspire to California's higher per capita income?

It's just a fucking empty threat/platitude without the fucking data behind it.

So, OF COURSE it's the dominant theme in Texas politics.

The Texas "economic miracle" depends on one thing -- high-priced oil.  When we have it, we look great. When we don't, we start to look shitty.  You know who that makes us similar to?  Venezuela.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Ive seen enough of both sides claiming Kavanaugh helped them to realize no one really knows how this is gonna work out until Election Day. 

1 hour ago, happyfunball said:

I’m in the camp that national dems should fund negative ads on cruz with zero coordination with Beto. Let’s Beto stay clean while damaging Cruz 

This just reminded me of Big Brother. You don’t want Beto to get blood on his hands, but that’s impossible. And who cares? 

Edited by GRHorn

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know who that makes us similar to?  Venezuela.

This is good stuff, man. Texas is like Venezuela because we have a good portion of our economy tied to energy. Just like Emily Ratajakowski is like Sarah Huckabee Sanders cause they both breath oxygen. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What the fuck does that mean?  Does it mean DON'T have Texas jump from being ranked 13th, all the way up to 8th (where California is) in per capita GDP?  Wait, maybe it means DON'T have Texas jump from being the 10th ranked economy up to California's 4th ranked economy?  Or should we not aspire to California's higher per capita income?

The Texas "economic miracle" depends on one thing -- high-priced oil.  When we have it, we look great. When we don't, we start to look shitty.  You know who that makes us similar to?  Venezuela.

Brisket, everyone knows that California is full of hippies and fruits. And I'm sure they put beans in their chili.

I've been in Cali for over two weeks now, everywhere from Palo Alto/Stanford, Santa Clara, San Jose, Newport Beach, Irvine, Costa Mesa to San Diego.

I, for one, can say when it comes to making Texas more Cali-like: Do. Not. Want.

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To be fair, I think those people are just talking about not wanting 9:30 PM kick-offs. 

7 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've been in Cali for over two weeks now, everywhere from Palo Alto/Stanford, Santa Clara, San Jose, Newport Beach, Irvine, Costa Mesa to San Diego.

I, for one, can say when it comes to making Texas more Cali-like: Do. Not. Want.

You just listed some of the nicest places in the country.  Seriously, other than the fact that many of those places are really expensive BECAUSE they are among the nicest places in the country, what's not to like?

Again, economically, the "Calfornia SUCKS!" storyline just doesn't work.

Oh, and Anastasis, I said "similar to" for a reason. If your economy is THAT tied to the price of a single commodity, that is NOT an economy that you generally want to emulate.  And for all of the diversification that has happened, this fact remains true: at $40 a barrel oil, the Texas economy struggles.  At $120 a barrel, it soars.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

T&P to you for having to suffer in those shitholes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, TEXAS DOESN'T WANT TO BE LIKE THE LARGEST CREATOR OF WEALTH AND EMPLOYMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No one doubts California’s positives. I think what people are referencing though is higher taxes, budget shortfalls/pending catastrophes like CALPERS, insane regulations, but you knew that already. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Ive seen enough of both sides claiming Kavanaugh helped them to realize no one really knows how this is gonna work out until Election Day. 

This just reminded me of Big Brother. You don’t want Beto to get blood on his hands, but that’s impossible. And who cares? 

I don't think Kavanaugh matters much at this point really.  But if it does, it will drive women to the polls since they are the ones who "lost."   I really don't think there is anyone who likes Kavanaugh that already doesn't vote R in every election anyway.  For real, Johnny Sack claiming to be mad means absolutely nothing.  He isn't going to do anything different at all.  And even if there is some rare voter that is on the fence, but pro-Kavanaugh, they already have Kavanaugh confirmed.  It doesn't matter if Beto would have voted no.  He's going to vote yes on whatever else this paradoxical voter likes.

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

No one doubts California’s positives. I think what people are referencing though is higher taxes, budget shortfalls/pending catastrophes like CALPERS, insane regulations, but you knew that already. 

Yeah.  I'd HATE to have HALF of the top 10 public universities in my state.  UCLA, Berkely, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Davis.  And just for fun, UC San Diego comes in at #12.

Yes, there are some stupid regs in California.  I don't like some of them.  But with respect to all of the things we tout about Texas being great at....and particularly as those things translate to economic performance....holding up California as the cautionary tale is ridiculous.

Edited by Brisketexan

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Yep.  California’s positives — weather, ports and beauty have nothing to do with politics.  

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

What do you have to do with red state Democrats?  Your vote is decided.  You should just go ahead and fill in (R) Name To Be Determined on every ballot for the rest of your life.  There is absolutely nothing Beto could do to get your vote, and nothing Cruz could do to lose it.  Cruz could fuck your wife on your coffee table, shoot your dog, and steal and dissolve your business, and you'll still be voting for him.  And really, there are just about 0 potential votes that Beto had a shot with that are now lost.  You always vote.  You always vote R.  Who gives a fuck if you pretend to be extra mad now.  You still only have one vote each.  Plenty of folks hate your ilk though.  Beto's trying to get them to turn out.  Again, usually they don't.

Typo on my part.  I meant to type I’m not talking about me.  I’m a Cruz guy.  He votes like I want very reliably.  

This Kavanaugh issue is not helping Dem senate candidates in states that Trump won.  

The one thing that drives gop voters to the poll is the court.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yep.  California’s positives — weather, ports and beauty have nothing to do with politics.  

How about per capita GDP and per capita income?  How about having HALF of the top 10 public universities in the country?  California is way ahead of us in all of those measures.  I mean, unless economic and public education "have nothing to do with politics."

But, I mean, let's not run down Texas.  We have UT at #15. And aggy at #24.  And then......UT Dallas at #61.  Pretty blistering pace we're setting there.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah, the blistering economy and being the outright global leader in innovation really suck.  For all the stifling of business they are accused of, they sure do have quite a lot of companies that go from someone's garage to global hegemon in short order.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How about per capita GDP and per capita income?  How about having HALF of the top 10 public universities in the country?  California is way ahead of us in all of those measures.  I mean, unless economic and public education "have nothing to do with politics."

The universities are great.  Per capita income?  Adjust it for taxes and cost of living.   Texas is far ahead

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

The universities are great.  Per capita income?  Adjust it for taxes and cost of living.   Texas is far ahead

See per capita GDP.   And see actual GDP, not adjusted per capita.  California is one of the largest economic engines in the world. Not just the US.  The WORLD.

Our economic "success," as it has been, is due to one thing: oil.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have it.  My family has been involved in the business for decades.  But lucking upon huge reserves under the dirt isn't exactly an act of political genius.  Give an idiot $120 a barrel oil, and he can create a paradise (with high oil prices, Chavez was having some go-go days down in Venezuela).  

Again, the argument of "oh no, not like California!" is not rooted in ANY holistic economic reality.  But, why should it be?  That would make it an outlier in today's political environment.

Oh, and for a dude who sings fucking SHOWTUNES on the phone to make fun of California?  Yeah..nope.  Shut it, Ted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Amazing that people will pay more money in cost of living and taxes to live in better locations / cities! 

People in NYC, London, etc are idiots!

Edited by happyfunball
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Typo on my part.  I meant to type I’m not talking about me.  I’m a Cruz guy.  He votes like I want very reliably.  

This Kavanaugh issue is not helping Dem senate candidates in states that Trump won.  

The one thing that drives gop voters to the poll is the court.  

You miss the point again.  GOP voters that give a shit about Kavanaugh were always going to vote and were always going to vote Cruz.  They, like you, have already cast their votes.  They don't miss elections, Kavanaugh or not.  You keep acting like there is this strange bizarro voter that exists that either:

1) Never votes, but is Republican and needs Kavanaugh confirmed.  This voter doesn't exist, and even if he did, Kavanaugh is already confirmed so there is no need for him to bring his lazy ass to the polls for the first time ever.  Really, there are very few "never voters" who even know who Kavanaugh is.

2) A voter who really needs Kavanaugh confirmed, always votes, and has the potential to flip to Beto.  This voter also doesn't exist.  You are the stereotypical Kavanaugh voter, Johnny.  Cruz is their man just like he's yours. 

In reality, the only way Dems can win in red states is to drive out voters that weren't voting before.  Perhaps claiming they would vote no on Kavanaugh does that.  Visiting every county certainly does that.  As does speaking Spanish in Texas.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

See per capita GDP.   And see actual GDP, not adjusted per capita.  California is one of the largest economic engines in the world. Not just the US.  The WORLD.

Our economic "success," as it has been, is due to one thing: oil.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have it.  My family has been involved in the business for decades.  But lucking upon huge reserves under the dirt isn't exactly an act of political genius.  Give an idiot $120 a barrel oil, and he can create a paradise (with high oil prices, Chavez was having some go-go days down in Venezuela).  

Again, the argument of "oh no, not like California!" is not rooted in ANY holistic economic reality.  But, why should it be?  That would make it an outlier in today's political environment.

Oh, and for a dude who sings fucking SHOWTUNES on the phone to make fun of California?  Yeah..nope.  Shut it, Ted.

What is far and away the biggest problem right now in California is overly restrictive zoning prohibiting new residential construction for regular people. Johnny Sack doesn't exactly strike me as the type who would be opposed to abusing zoning requirements to keep the poors away.

Just now, Lagunamadre said:

Why don't they all move to South Dakota, houses are so much cheaper there. Idiots!! 

Nah. Spend a couple million on a 1500 square foot dump in San Fran where you get a nice long commute and get to step over needles and piles of shit from street people.  

California is wonderful if you’re a one percenter.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You just listed some of the nicest places in the country.  Seriously, other than the fact that many of those places are really expensive BECAUSE they are among the nicest places in the country, what's not to like?

Again, economically, the "Calfornia SUCKS!" storyline just doesn't work.

Oh, and Anastasis, I said "similar to" for a reason. If your economy is THAT tied to the price of a single commodity, that is NOT an economy that you generally want to emulate.  And for all of the diversification that has happened, this fact remains true: at $40 a barrel oil, the Texas economy struggles.  At $120 a barrel, it soars.

I’m just saying, my experience is that it’s simply not worth it (from a cost of living, taxes and personality of people). Sure they have a ton of Chinese and Indian but so does any good subrurb in a Texas city so I’m not being racist. Just would not want to live there and call that my life.

Your mileage varies and good for you, I just don’t appreciate the things you do I guess which is apparently living amongst people with higher than average GDP and in a state with great universities as if that matters to your day to day life.