Jason Washington & Craig Naivar :: the secondary

Hagbard Celine

In the first 2 weeks our secondary looked like dog.  Bad technique, bad body position, no explosion towards the ball. Penalties for no reason. Dropped picks.  Just an all around shitshow.

Here's a shout-out to Craig & Jason.  The last 2 weeks, guys have their body in the right profile.  They are watching the receivers eyes and hands, and breaking up catches like you would expect DBU players to do.  Use your fists.  Position, profile, accelerate, close, and explode to the hands.   The improvement is night and day and it's across the board and has given the team a piece of identity.

Well done gentleman.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled bitchassedness.

Wizard.

Parcells.

etc.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

They are still getting beat on deep coverage assignments but we’ve gotten lucky with some trip ups, shoestring tackles or last minute PBUs but it’s happening far too often for my comfort.  Still it’s been a great improvement in just a few games.

This. Extraordinary talent out there, but there are a lot of fuck ups. Boyd and Davante look like all world and dogshit on back to back plays. 

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Which play are you referring to? The only one I can think of is the Maryland game where our senior nickel back and senior cornerback lined up at the same depth.

You are correct, it was Davis and Locke, I thought it was Foster and Sterns for some reason.

I think the corners have looks really good.  Last two weeks defense has shut down the run.  With the quality of the WR they faced and inability to run the ball, SC and TCU were going to throw the ball.  Despite the TD to Reagor, Boyd looked really good.  He had pretty good coverage on the TD, Reagor just created a bit of separation with a bit of a push off.  Two other balls he played beautifully.  The one TD attempt where Boyd didn't turn around but saw the receivers hands go up and punched the ball loose and the other where he was behind the receiver and reached around with his right hand and disrupted the play.  Davis's PBU late in the game was perfectly timed.  

Not flawless but they've gone after the corners and the good guys held up pretty well.

20 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I think the corners have looks really good.  Last two weeks defense has shut down the run.  With the quality of the WR they faced and inability to run the ball, SC and TCU were going to throw the ball.  Despite the TD to Reagor, Boyd looked really good.  He had pretty good coverage on the TD, Reagor just created a bit of separation with a bit of a push off.  Two other balls he played beautifully.  The one TD attempt where Boyd didn't turn around but saw the receivers hands go up and punched the ball loose and the other where he was behind the receiver and reached around with his right hand and disrupted the play.  Davis's PBU late in the game was perfectly timed.  

Not flawless but they've gone after the corners and the good guys held up pretty well.

I took a little time to watch the replay and Boyd got beat 6 times, he was a favored target.  The right fist play was a good one, the other pbu was underthrown though he did make the play, and Sterns picked one.  It looks like he bites on everything, particularly double moves.  

Hes a good player no doubt, and it's a good problem for us if other teams target him because they are more afraid of our young guys. 

On 9/26/2018 at 10:56 PM, TKthunder2 said:

They are still getting beat on deep coverage assignments but we’ve gotten lucky with some trip ups, shoestring tackles or last minute PBUs but it’s happening far too often for my comfort.  Still it’s been a great improvement in just a few games.

Happy for the win but not feeling any better about this.

I’d just like to see Cook rotate in more.  When Boyd gets tired he starts trying to jump routes and it hasn’t been working out well for him.

It doesn’t matter if he is tired or not. He’s always peeking in the backfield and always biting. It’s nothing new. He’s done it since he got here.

9 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

It doesn’t matter if he is tired or not. He’s always peeking in the backfield and always biting. It’s nothing new. He’s done it since he got here.

He peaked last year when he wasn’t locked up on the opponent #1 receiver. He did well when Holton went out with suspension but seems to have fallen into old/bad habits this year.

Edited by nycHorn

2 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

He peaked last year when he wasn’t locked up on the opponent #1 receiver. He did well when Holton went out with suspension but seems to have fallen into old/bad habits this year.

I don't know why I quoted my own post.  I'm not that drunk.

Edited by nycHorn