Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

On 2/18/2020 at 4:15 PM, ss13 said:

Also, don’t know anything about the place except this article from last month. It’s near the four I linked above, give it a shot & report back. 

Chicago-style Italian beef has a new home in downtown Arlington.

Hershey’s Palace, formerly on South Halsted Street in the Windy City, has opened on East Abram Street.

Those winds blew Hershey’s everywhere else before Arlington. The restaurant moved to Breckenridge, Texas, and two Sansom Park locations before settling at 513 E. Abram St. in the Urban Union district.

The new location is more central for Hershey’s expatriate Chicago followers and for new patrons seeking Hershey’s chicken tenders, catfish and Chicago sandwiches.

You can’t tell it from the menu, but Hershey’s is best known for an Italian beef sandwich. Order it “dipped” or “wet,” with hot giardiniera relish.

Hershey’s also serves steak hoagies, chicken wings and “pizza puffs,” along with a routine thin-crust pizza.

Each comes with — a big plus — crinkle fries.

It’s a small take-out counter with a few tables, although an expansion is planned.

It’s open for lunch and dinner daily in a former chicken stand on Abram near Fuzzy’s Taco Shop; 682-323-5050.

Fucking AWFUL name for a Chicago joint though. 

On 3/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, ss13 said:

Um yeah, this is 100% a go for me now. 

Finally went today after the Ranger game, real fucking good. Hit it up if you ever find yourselves near Abram. 

The future of another Grady Spears restaurant is uncertain after a public falling-out last week between Spears and a business partner.

Horseshoe Hill Restaurant, Spears’ celebrated chicken-fried steak cafe in the Stockyards, is closed for now after a split between Spears and Weatherford rancher Jed Watje.

The restaurant had already announced it would be closed Sept. 1-10 for filming of Paramount’s “Y: 1883” Yellowstone series in the 200 block of West Exchange Avenue.

But visitors last weekend found a printed notice on the door saying Spears was barred from the property as of Aug. 24.

On Saturday, the celebrity chef took to Facebook, posting a 675-word missive saying Horseshoe Hill would be closed three weeks and “we had planned this for months.”

The restaurant has been “kidnapped,” he wrote, and he hinted at legal action to return.

Watje said in a text message that “there isn’t anything to update on as of yet,” and that he would respond “as we go forward.”

Horseshoe Hill opened in 2015 and immediately won Texas Monthly’s praise for Spears’ take on chicken-fried steaks served five ways.

As of Saturday, the restaurant’s Facebook page had not been updated since July 30.

Spears was the founding chef at Reata, leaving in 2000. 

Horseshoe Hill has been one of his longer-lasting restaurants after shorter stints at his namesake Grady’s in Fort Worth and Grady’s Line Camp in Tolar, among several stops around the state.

According to photos shared on Facebook, Watje’s letter posted on the door Aug. 24 carried the headline “Eviction Notice” but did not say the restaurant was closing.

“Grady Spears does not have a lease in place” for the property, it read, and he “will not be allowed on premises.”

The street is closed by Fort Worth police during the “Y: 1883” filming, so the sign is not accessible to the public. But Spears described it in his Facebook post.

“The employees were told we are closing,” he wrote. “My staff called me and I instructed them to leave.”

Spears wrote that he is “being bullied!”

His long history of kitchen brilliance made him friends with top Texas celebrities, but he also has a peripatetic history of opening and closing restaurants.

Horseshoe Hill was listed in Texas Monthly magazine’s “Where to Eat Now” in 2016, including praise for the “golden, extravagantly battered chicken-fried steaks ... sizzling, scandalously fat-ribboned aged ribeyes ... [and] light, fluffy calf fries.”

An accusation of aggravated assault against a family member in 2018 was dismissed in 2020, according to Tarrant County records. Spears had agreed to complete a 27-week Partner Abuse Intervention Program in Denton County, according to the memo of an agreement between prosecutors and Spears’ attorney.

We all bag on Love, but ol’ boy Grady ain’t got the best rep around town either. 

21 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Yeah it’s open. Your typical douchy W7 restaurant (has a DJ booth)

Welp, that's all I needed to see. 

Did I report out on my initial visit to Rabbit Hole (former VIPs)? If not, it's not bad, they did a good job remaking the place, hard to remember it was the old carpet bar. 

For any of you who hang out at the bars on the corner of Poags, Hatter, Abbey you'll see familiar faces. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, TornACL said:

Did I report out on my initial visit to Rabbit Hole (former VIPs)? If not, it's not bad, they did a good job remaking the place, hard to remember it was the old carpet bar. 

Pro tip: Do not go there on the Cowboys’ opening night looking for a seat. They did a really good job cleaning it up, but the seating diagram is fucking awful. I mean, fucking awful. Move the pool table up to the deck, the dart boards can be relocated anywhere, then you instantly have 12 more seats. Facts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/6/2021 at 10:43 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

BoomerJack’s in Lake Worth is now open. That mother fucker is gonna print $. 

Was by there Tuesday night and you are correct-I can't imagine they were not full up with a one hour wait list last night for the Cowboys game.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:12 PM, wild_turkey said:

Anyone been to the stockyards to check out the Yellowstone set? Can you actually see the set or is it fenced off?

Fenced off with a LEO guard.  You can see some of the signage they put up for the show and there's a street that has been covered with dirty. Interesting, but not worth a special trip. YMMV...

18 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Pretty sure Sundance closed awhile back. 

Their website says BI is ‘temporarily closed for renovations’, but a buddy said there’s a bigass For Lease sign out front. 

Downtown is still open.  Pre-Covid it was packed for lunch.  Now it is hurting.  It doesn’t help they did away with their lunch menu and the ability to order a half order. 

If you want your Razzoo’s food head to BooRay’s. There’s one on Boat Club and Ten Mile Bridge Rd and also right behind the H‑E‑B (no clue if they’re open) in Hudson Oaks.

I don’t remember the full story but pretty sure someone left Razzoo’s and essentially re created the menu.

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

HEB is a goddamned zoo and out of stock on half their shit. Y’all hear about a lunatic that went apeshit and beat someone to death with a frozen pizza, just know I finally did what we’ve all wanted to do when confronted with people that are oblivious to the world around them.

what?

7 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

HEB is a goddamned zoo and out of stock on half their shit. Y’all hear about a lunatic that went apeshit and beat someone to death with a frozen pizza, just know I finally did what we’ve all wanted to do when confronted with people that are oblivious to the world around them.

Go for the deep dish, it's got a little more weight behind it.