Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Any good anniversary dinner recommendations? Looking for a place for my parents, they always go to Reata but my mom was asking about if I knew any other places around. I don't know much at FW anymore so I figured I would ask here. Italian would be preferred but if you have other recs please let me know. Thanks, 

Italian? I've heard good things about Sardines off University

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Campisi's Italian and Aventino's on Camp Bowie are good choices.  Nonna Tata on Magnolia is very authentic but seating is limited.  Piola is a nice romantic place to celebrate anniversaries as well.  These are the best Italian places I recommend based on experiences there but Grace in downtown would be my choice for atmosphere, service, ambiance, and food.   Congratulations!

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Any good anniversary dinner recommendations? Looking for a place for my parents, they always go to Reata but my mom was asking about if I knew any other places around. I don't know much at FW anymore so I figured I would ask here. Italian would be preferred but if you have other recs please let me know. Thanks, 

Lol... saw that you repped my post and gotta follow up to make sure you realize my response was in jest and playing off of the posts preceding yours 🤘

I guess Sardines closed down years ago

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:49 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

What is your kind of crowd and what are you looking to do?

Late 20s/early 30s. Bar/watch the early games. Food would be cool but not a deal breaker.Not looking to tailgate with the rain and it’s at TCU so meh. Have had like zero time to check out the sports bars around here yet so very naive there.

I'm so proud to see that not one slapdick from Dallas has wandered in here and suggested Varsity Tavern or Concrete Cowboy. Credit Spy for scaring those unwashed miscreants off

Those are great places for Dallas folks to hang out. In the same area people can also check out Dirty Bones, a trendy wings joint with bottle service and a DJ.

Who is the developer behind this newly and proudly proposed Lake Como development just west of Hulen?  I'm guessing 30-60 single-family, maybe a low-rise multi-family peppered within for a fill-in change?

14 hours ago, sportsbay said:

I graduated from UT in 94.  I want to take my kids for some fun.  Not looking for a big party scene though I used to do a lot of that.  Anyway, going to the game and was looking for a fun atmosphere without a lot of drunk people.  Maybe Dutch's early b4 the game and Dirty Bones friday?  Does anyone go to Angelo's anymore?  

Blue Goose on University. Fun atmosphere, decent food and drinks.

11 hours ago, sportsbay said:

I grew up in Aledo.  I live in Granbury.  We used to hit Como on beer runs in high school, late 80's.  They never carded and the odds of TABC hanging out were slim.  Good times.

Where at in Granbury? I'm in PP. Got tickets and a parking pass from the guy down the street.

CHIEF

Anyway, going to the game and was looking for a fun atmosphere without a lot of drunk people.  Maybe Dutch's early b4 the game and Dirty Bones friday?

I’m not sure my sarcasm was coming through when I said Dirty Bones. You can go there if you want but I’m not endorsing it and I think you can find better options.

How old are your kids and what kinds of places do they like?

Who knows Hulen Avenue well? Between 30/377 & Chisholm Parkway?  I'm looking at a property there and I can't figure it out.  Is it up-and-coming, is it gentrifying, is it hip, is it on the way back down?  Ahh! thank you, drinks on me.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who knows Hulen Avenue well? Between 30/377 & Chisholm Parkway?  I'm looking at a property there and I can't figure it out.  Is it up-and-coming, is it gentrifying, is it hip, is it on the way back down?  Ahh! thank you, drinks on me.  

As long as you stay east of Lake Como, I would say it is up and coming.  That being said, west of the lake is Thunderdome.

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Pos rep if you get me through that pay wall.  And a couple beers next time you're in Austin.  

Spoiler

A Houston-based builder known for homes topping $800,000 plans to develop 9.9 acres southeast of Lake Como.

Texas InTown Homes plans to build 20 attached and 27 detached single family homes south of Diaz Avenue and west of Penticost Street next to Lake Como park, according to city documents.

hough the size and price range of the homes is unknown, InTown advertises that it brings “premier luxe design and amenity-rich urban living within reach.”

InTown Homes did not respond to emails and phone calls requesting comment.

Its homes in Dallas and Addison range from $455,000 to $854,000. In Houston, they’re $369,000 to $830,000.

The City Plan Commission on Sept. 22 granted the developer a year extension to get final approvals for the project paperwork. Staff with the city’s development services department called the project a “catalyst development” for its potential to spur investment in the area.

Mary Jo Thomas, former president of the Greater Fort Worth Association of Realtors, worried about the development’s affect on affordable housing. She said Fort Worth has a greater need for affordable housing specifically in the $200,000 price range.

Thomas quipped she was old enough to remember when houses cost around $50,000. She said there were still plenty of homes in the $150,000 to $200,000 range up until 2018.

Thomas’ son and fellow Fort Worth real estate agent Shelby Kimball said higher property taxes from a luxury development could displace low income residents in the adjacent Como neighborhood. According to statistics from the city’s Como Area Neighborhood Improvement Program, the median household income in Como is $26,328 with a 26% poverty rate.

“Como has been squeezed all around in terms of property values going up and up,” Kimball said. “I think a lot of people would hate to see a cultural change try to come in there.”

Longtime Como resident and community leader Estrus Tucker acknowledged his community is experiencing gentrification. His focus has been on leveraging new development in ways that are beneficial to the community.

“Our hope and intent is that that kind of development on the eastern border of the park will have some benefit and value to the park itself and to the neighboring communities,” Tucker said.

He pointed to an area of Lake Como park that after years of reduced foot traffic has developed into a birding sanctuary. Tucker said there have been talks between community leaders and representatives of the developer to help clean up sections of the park while protecting the habitat.

Tucker said a preliminary presentation of development led him to believe the project won’t serve Como’s less affluent residents, however, he said he’d reserve judgment for when the project is closer to completion.

He urged the developer to consider a mix of housing options for different income brackets to help address the area’s need for more affordable housing.

“Gentrification is already changing us,” Tucker said. “We’re just trying to not let it eradicate, destroy and completely displace us within a generation.”

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

They open at 10, ain’t much point in stopping there for such a short time. 

I actually just called Dutch’s & Buffalo Bros. Dutch’s sports & burrito bars will open at 9, the chick that answered at BB didn’t have much clue, still said 11. 

Yeah I was gonna say, nothing much is gonna open up early for an 11am kick. Dutch's and the places nearby are the only move.

It's a pathetic atmosphere, with the exception of the hot trim running around in sheer purple dresses. But they're not gonna be in the bars. 

I was stoked when TCU joined the Big 12 for the Texas games, but I am going out of town this weekend. 

I asked @DeepEastTexas already, let’s see if this thread has any other answers. If you’re facing the Pub on University, I believe there was another bar to the right a handful of years ago. Only went once, but I remember weird blue neon lights inside for some reason. Anyone have a clue what I’m talking about? 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I asked @DeepEastTexas already, let’s see if this thread has any other answers. If you’re facing the Pub on University, I believe there was another bar to the right a handful of years ago. Only went once, but I remember weird blue neon lights inside for some reason. Anyone have a clue what I’m talking about? 

Spencer's Corner was to the left of the Pub as you faced i on W. Bowie & University.  Is that the one you mean?  Owned by Spencer Taylor who also owned Spencer's Palace north of the old 1849 village north of the Trinity where University Park now stands and the Daily Double, which was in the village. Taylor also was one of the founders/partners in Billy Bob's Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:05 PM, sportsbay said:

I grew up in Aledo.  I live in Granbury.  We used to hit Como on beer runs in high school, late 80's.  They never carded and the odds of TABC hanging out were slim.  Good times.

90s here. Once they started stabbing the mounted police horses I kinda stopped going into Como. Lancaster was a safer bet, just had to ward off junkies. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You mean Berry instead of Bowie? Only Spencer’s Corner I remember was by Ridgmar Mall in the old TGI Fridays. 

pch is right.  The strip was bookended on the Berry St. end by the TCU Theater and Spencer's Corner at the Bowie end.  Record Town was in between them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

You mean Berry instead of Bowie? Only Spencer’s Corner I remember was by Ridgmar Mall in the old TGI Fridays. 

That is where it ended up probably after the 2008 economic downturn.  The locations I mentioned were from the 70's-90's.

36 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Holy fuck a Spencer’s Corner reference. And I wasn’t around in the 70’s and 80’s but o am certain Spencer’s corner wasn’t around back them

Well actually it was-located on the corner of West Bowie and University just north of the TCU theatre in that same block. That space is now occupied by Flash, the University Store, a TCU retail outlet.  I frequented all of Spencer Taylor's bars from 77-98 so trust me on this one.

Edited by pch
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Holy fuck. Boomerjack’s on Quebec has cars parked in the road and about 50 more in the field between them and Cheddar’s. I do believe they might make it

Yeah, I meant to mention that last Sunday.  I drove by there on my way to pick up lunch, and saw cars parked everywhere.  It's amazing.  In fact, at lunch on Friday it was that way.  Amazing.