Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Got charged for something I’ve never seen before. Ordered a bloody mary with gin before she told me any gin was $4. Cool, give me Tanq. There was a $1.75 extra charge apparently since it was in a bloody, but my next two G&Ts were just $4. So guess I paid $1.75 for tomato juice? Weird. 

17 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Buffalo Bros. has a damn good HH. M-F, 3-6; $1.50 PBR, $2 domestic drafts, $3 wells, $4 any gin, $.50 boneless wings, 1/2 off pizza slices. Had the garlic parmesan wings, pretty fucking good. 

Surprisingly older crowd in there at happy hour as well.  Like, geriatric older crowd.  Not just 40s and 50s. 

Various restaurant updates... 

On 11/10/2018 at 12:13 AM, spystud13 said:

Anyone been to Catch on Camp Bowie? Didn’t even know it existed until I saw it linked on Dive’s FB page. 

Scratch that one now. 

The Catch, a popular Tyler-based seafood chain, closed its 6314 Camp Bowie Blvd. location but is looking for another location in west Fort Worth. Locations remain open at 5636 North Tarrant Parkway Suite 120 in far north Fort Worth, at 5809 W. Interstate 20 in Arlington, and at 1505 SW Wilshire Blvd. Suite 610 in Burleson.

Didn't realize the one by Ridgmar had closed, haven't been over that way in a minute. Used to get blitzed at the one on S. Hulen before it became BWW. 

For those of us who were around in the ‘90s, it hardly seems possible that there is no longer a Don Pablo’s in Tarrant County — or, as far as we can tell, DFW. The once-ubiquitous Tex-Mex chain has been closing restaurants nationwide: according to NJ.com, there’s only one left in New Jersey, which, curiously, is the only one listed on the Don Pablo’s website. A Ridgmar Mall-area location closed this fall, and the one at 5121 Rufe Snow Drive closed in November. In 2016, the Wall Street Journal reported that the owner of the chain filed for bankruptcy protection (H/T NJ.com), “blaming the downturn in the casual-dining business and increased competiton from ‘fast-casual’ Mexican brands” such as Chipotle.

And Fear gets another west side burger joint back. Good ol' Shuckers next door, that bar is not fun. 

It took more than a year, but Chubby’s Burger Shack is back.

The west-side haven of half-pound burgers had a small kitchen fire more than a year ago. Owners took the opportunity to do some badly needed remodeling at the timeworn shopping center on South Cherry Lane.

For one thing, Chubby’s doesn’t smell like cigarette smoke anymore. Even when the old place was empty, it smelled like smoke coming through the air system from a hazy pool hall and dart bar next door.

The clear air makes it easier to taste the fresh-packed, juicy beef on Chubby’s classic burgers ($8.75 with chips).

There’s a long bar along the west wall, but there are plenty of tables for diners.

The limited menu for Chubby’s reopening also includes burgers such as the Blue Pig (bacon, blue cheese and caramelized onions) or the John Wayne (bacon, barbecue sauce and pepper Jack).

There’s a grilled chicken salad, a BLT, a Reuben and a smoked-bologna sandwich.

The notorious Chubby triple and quadruple stacked burgers haven’t come back yet, but the basic Chubby is plenty big.

Chubby’s is open for lunch and dinner daily except Mondays; 7914 Camp Bowie Boulevard West at South Cherry Lane, 817-244-4474, facebook.com/chubbysburgershack.

10 hours ago, spystud13 said:

And Fear gets another west side burger joint back. Good ol' Shuckers next door, that bar is not fun. 

HA! We go to Shucker's sometimes after work.  I asked the older bartender woman (you would know the one I'm talking about if you have ever been in there) a few months ago when Chubby's was going to be back open and she told me probably never, because all the guys working on the place do is drink beer all day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Remember Chubby's old location farther east on CB? Well, that used to be Fairway Grill back in the day. Probably the best burger I've ever had in FW, just don't think the owners had a clue about the business side. 

Great burger at Fairway Grill.  Chubby's was better there too.  The new location is/was always dark, cold, and for some reason the walls and floors were always wet.  The cigarette smoke mentioned in the article didn't help either.

Heim on White Settlement is supposedly just a catering location.  That's according to the owner, Travis. He mentioned it to us one day when we were at the Magnolia location.  They've been selling sandwiches out of their catering truck at that Soda Springs joint one day a week, from time to time.  Maybe they've changed their mind.  They could do well with the Lockheed lunch crowd.

Parton's Pizza on Cherry is close to opening their remodeled area.  The Asian massage parlor next door is being cleaned up and when I went in there Sunday, the staff said they were close.  Just need to knock down the wall, which they've stripped down to just the insulation. That will be a welcome expansion.  That place is always crowded.  

• Like 1

Great burger at Fairway Grill.  Chubby's was better there too.  The new location is/was always dark, cold, and for some reason the walls and floors were always wet.  The cigarette smoke mentioned in the article didn't help either.

Heim on White Settlement is supposedly just a catering location.  That's according to the owner, Travis. He mentioned it to us one day when we were at the Magnolia location.  They've been selling sandwiches out of their catering truck at that Soda Springs joint one day a week, from time to time.  Maybe they've changed their mind.  They could do well with the Lockheed lunch crowd.

Parton's Pizza on Cherry is close to opening their remodeled area.  The Asian massage parlor next door is being cleaned up and when I went in there Sunday, the staff said they were close.  Just need to knock down the wall, which they've stripped down to just the insulation. That will be a welcome expansion.  That place is always crowded.  
This is confusing because both the new locations are around White Settlement. According to below the one on White Settlement road is a fully new location and the one in White Settlement, an old bbq joint, is for catering only.

http://amp.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/bbq/article172883591.html

Went to the Crockett Street Food Hall yesterday. Had the lamb shawarma wrap, it didn't blow me away but it was fine for 8 bucks. 

The bbq place is "KC style". I got a look at the brisket, didn't look like a Top 10 option in Cowtown. 

There's a bar with macro beers and cocktails on tap. Will be interesting to see if it works. It was crowded yesterday but it's brand new, so... 

Hmmm I doubt it. But there is a bar in there so who knows. 

If it stays open late it will be a shitshow in there. 

Question... I see the Deep Ellum place is going up at 6th and University. What's going into the space at 5th and Uni (old Grotto)? They've laid a foundation but no signage indicating what's going up. 

Question... I see the Deep Ellum place is going up at 6th and University. What's going into the space at 5th and Uni (old Grotto)? They've laid a foundation but no signage indicating what's going up. 
The place is owned by some entity called "Austin City Taco."

I tried Brix BBQ in the Americado Food Hall on Saturday. The lean brisket, pork ribs, and homemade sausage were all excellent. The cilantro based coleslaw and ranch style beans were pretty good too. There is wait service, and one single menu/check for all of the food stands and the full bar. Much better set up than having to stand in line. Brix is only there weekends.

4 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
4 hours ago, TornACL said:

Read more  

The place is owned by some entity called "Austin City Taco."

I was expecting it to be A Starbucks right next door to another Starbucks. 

On 12/9/2018 at 12:33 PM, TornACL said:

Went to the Crockett Street Food Hall yesterday. Had the lamb shawarma wrap, it didn't blow me away but it was fine for 8 bucks. 

The bbq place is "KC style". I got a look at the brisket, didn't look like a Top 10 option in Cowtown. 

There's a bar with macro beers and cocktails on tap. Will be interesting to see if it works. It was crowded yesterday but it's brand new, so... 

I tried the lobster roll at The Dock and it was pretty good

The very last line makes me laugh. 

tis the season

Chapter Holiday Party
THURSDAY, DEC 13 | 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
@ WORTHINGTON NATIONAL BANK - SUNDANCE SQUARE | 500 Main St, Fort Worth, TX 76102

Join us for the best burnt-orange holiday party! Cost is $10 and includes adult beverages and appetizers, while they last. Purchase Tickets Here.

We will walk across the street for a picture under the Christmas Tree afterwards.

I moved to Frisco 6 months ago and went over to Fort Worth for the Wade Bowen concert on Saturday... 

Decided to go to Lonesome Dove before.

Food was good, not great. I thought the cocktails were spot on though.

However, most disturbingly, both my girlfriend and I were puking in the early morning hours of Sunday (and it wasn’t from booze). 

Not going to hold it against them too, too much since something like that could happened anywhere but I won’t be rushing back... I’d go again though if somebody wanted to go there.

8 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

I moved to Frisco 6 months ago and went over to Fort Worth for the Wade Bowen concert on Saturday... 

Decided to go to Lonesome Dove before.

Food was good, not great. I thought the cocktails were spot on though.

However, most disturbingly, both my girlfriend and I were puking in the early morning hours of Sunday (and it wasn’t from booze). 

Not going to hold it against them too, too much since something like that could happened anywhere but I won’t be rushing back... I’d go again though if somebody wanted to go there.

Tim's 20' radius of fun has that effect on people.

FW economic growth in a nutshell over last couple weeks... FW throws a party for getting an Amazon distribution hub in alliance that'll bring 300 jobs, most of which I assume will be blue collar. And Freese/Nichols relocated from SW FW to downtown with their 300 jobs.

Frisco gets the PGA hq and all of its trappings 

austin gets $1B Apple campus with eventual 10k-15k jobs

irving/dallas gets McKesson hq from Cali