Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

48 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

35 and crowley/rendon is getting a rudy's 
Saw sign in lot by the quicktrip

Never ate at one yet but they are spreading

A lot of people hate on them, but I like their brisket and chicken.  The cream corn is fantastic.

Anyone check out the new El Bolero in W 7th yet? They just opened.

Hell, this is perfect for you. 

Now think about $16 black margarita called “the Oilman,” made with charred agave.

There’s a “mule” made with ghost-pepper-infused blood orange tequila, and lots more fruity drinks like a pineapple-vanilla mezcalita or a “blackberry punch” with pineapple, jalapeno and tequila.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/eats-beat/article226419640.html

Edited by spystud13
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I like Fireside Pies and Rodeo Goat but that’s about it.

Cork & Pig has a decent happy hour ($5 cocktails and $5 pizza) but the rest of their food is mediocre and I try not to eat a full meal there.

Yeah I am ok with the Goar and Cork and Pig. The French dip at C&P is good. And Terra is good but I don't ever eat at that location. 

All the other shit looks and feels like it was conceived and designed by an army of consultants. 

Come on guys, Fred's has been in W7 before W7 was even a thing. Obviously they are exempt. 

My main beef is the restaurants along Crockett Row, which when they're not closing down after 3 months, are largely overrated crap. I still remember that "Italian" restaurant that was around in the early days of that development. By the end of the meal we were laughing about how poor the food and service was. 

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Come on guys, Fred's has been in W7 before W7 was even a thing. Obviously they are exempt. 

My main beef is the restaurants along Crockett Row, which when they're not closing down after 3 months, are largely overrated crap. I still remember that "Italian" restaurant that was around in the early days of that development. By the end of the meal we were laughing about how poor the food and service was. 

Patrizio's

3 hours ago, bluto said:

I do like the food hall. It's on the upper end of what I like to pay for lunch but I dig the lobster roll and poke bowl stalls. I don't see it surviving unless they're just killing it at night as lunch is very rarely crowded. 

Yep, i agree. Ive enjoyed all of the vendors that I've tried but it seems such a one off place. Its never top of mind for us.

I'm still trying to make my way to the food hall. For a while, I was hitting up rodeo goat and oni frequently. I did like the handroll sushi place, but still prefer going to Little Lily for my sushi fix. I need to check out the hype of Hurts Donuts and Dwell Biscuits (over by TCU). I highly recommend poke poke on magnolia, they took over the bentleys hot dog spot.

51 minutes ago, dmtx said:

I'm still trying to make my way to the food hall. For a while, I was hitting up rodeo goat and oni frequently. I did like the handroll sushi place, but still prefer going to Little Lily for my sushi fix. I need to check out the hype of Hurts Donuts and Dwell Biscuits (over by TCU). I highly recommend poke poke on magnolia, they took over the bentleys hot dog spot.

buddy of mine used to swear by lil lilly but the sushi guy he liked left and he said it wasnt as good.  i never have been.  is it still pretty good?

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

buddy of mine used to swear by lil lilly but the sushi guy he liked left and he said it wasnt as good.  i never have been.  is it still pretty good?

well damn... its been a few months. been frequenting poke poke, the handroll place, oni and tokyo cafe. maybe soon, i've been on a pork bao buns kick.

Off-topic, but anyone been to Slovacek’s? 

The classic name in kolaches has a new home.

Gerik’s Ole’ Czech Bakery, the insiders’ kolache stop a block east of Interstate 35 and the Czech Stop, will reopen next door after puzzling West guests for a week.

The phone calls and questions started coming in last week: “Where’d Gerik’s go?” “What happened to Gerik’s?” “Why’s Gerik’s closed?”

Let the pastry panic come to an end.

The Anderson family will reopen Gerik’s inside their Pizza House restaurant next door, leaving 40 years of morning coffee-and-kolache gatherings in what used to be a smokehouse and then Nors Bakery.

Gerik’s gave up that lease, so it’s now offering its full menu inside the Pizza House.

If you’ve never strayed from the late-night haunt at the Czech Stop, please note that West’s traditional Czech-American families buy kolaches from Gerik’s or the orignal town shop, Village Bakery.

Then they buy sausages or klobasniky (“sausage kolaches”) at Slovacek’s, the mega-convenience store across Interstate 35.

(The Czech Stop is great at midnight, but if you’re in West before 6 p.m., look for Gerik’s.)

Gerik’s new location is inside the Pizza House, 505 W. Oak St., 254-826-3805.

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Off-topic, but anyone been to Slovacek’s? 

Yes. but i only get their meat sticks. I usually pass on kolache's. BUT i always get cinnamon rolls from czech stop. Cinnamon rolls at gerik's are monstrous, or at least i think its gerik's that has the big ass cinnamon rolls.

Kona Grill on University is done. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/article226773969.html

Crockett Row has also recently seen the opening of Cinnaholic, a gourmet cinnamon-roll chain, and there’s more: Pakpao Thai, owned by the same group that ownes El Boldero, will open this summer at 2932 Crockett St., most recently home to Rafain Brazilian Steakhouse, which closed in March 2017.

Gourmet cinnamon rolls? Jesus fuck. 

Round 2 of spy’s restaurant reviews... Enchiladas Ole on N. Sylvania. That shit was fucking GOOD. Got the Vaquero enchiladas, ground sirloin with ancho chile sauce & cheese. Badass. The house margarita was perfectly balanced, & the beans may have been the best I’ve had. Also ordered a side of fresh japs for $.50, that was without question the largest serving of those I’ve ever seen at a restaurant. 

https://www.enchiladasole.com/menu

Only open for dinner Thurs-Sat though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Round 2 of spy’s restaurant reviews... Enchiladas Ole on N. Sylvania. That shit was fucking GOOD. Got the Vaquero enchiladas, ground sirloin with ancho chile sauce & cheese. Badass. The house margarita was perfectly balanced, & the beans may have been the best I’ve had. Also ordered a side of fresh japs for $.50, that was without question the largest serving of those I’ve ever seen at a restaurant. 

https://www.enchiladasole.com/menu

Only open for dinner Thurs-Sat though. 

Best Tex/Mex in Fort Worth maybe even DFW. Only downfall is the parking is terrible. 

Ole is damn good stuff, there was a lot of talk they were moving up to NRH or HEB area a while back but doesn't seem to have materialized. Those brisket enchiladas will stay on your breath for days though, quite strong 

This was a pretty scathing review of the Haltom Theater diner, where Ole was supposed to go. 

Plans keep changing for the restaurant at the restored Haltom Theater, and it may take a while to establish the adjoining lunch-and-dinner cafe.

Retired Clown Burger owner Bill Louthanmade his debut Friday night at the 78-year-old moviehouse, grilling sliders with queso that were very much like the simplest burgers served at his family’s nearby grill on Stanley Keller Road.

Louthan will grill sliders from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. every Friday.

Plans for an Enchiladas Ole expansion didn’t work out, but Ole owner Mary Patino Perez will serve a Sunday brunch beginning in March.

For now, the menu is still a disjointed selection of items such as a cheesesteak “Haltom hoagie,” a stuffed sausage, nachos or street tacos.

Some of the prices still seem more like you’d find at a concert concession stand. Two simple street tacos sell for $10; same for the tiny, barren slider, just beef and queso on a bun with a few fries.

The restaurant did not have basics last weekend such as iced tea. I asked for hot sauce with the tacos; the server brought sriracha.

All this will work out in time. The owners have been busy getting a performing arts theater open, and the restaurant will improve.

It’s open at 11 a.m. daily for lunch through dinner at 5611 U.S. 377 (East Belknap Street); 682-250-5678, haltomtheater.com.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:17 PM, Errestaurants said:

Best Tex/Mex in Fort Worth maybe even DFW. Only downfall is the parking is terrible. 

Parking in the back before 5:30pm on Friday was a breeze.  Ole has the best queso with beef I have ever eaten.  Small bowl with the Texican enchiladas make this my favorite Mexican restaurant in Cowtown