Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Finally tried Panther City BBQ, not too bad! Haven't been to this area since Heim was at the trailer and wow it's changed so much. Brisket was a bit average, turkey was moist and delicious, pulled pork great, pork belly burnt ends great, and the beef rib was awesome. Mac and cheese was super, silky, creamy, and sexy. What a great departure from the trend of overwhelming that side with pepper. One thing that really stuck out to me was ordering the beef rib. The only time I've ever had anything resembling a confrontation at a restaurant was at Heim when the cashier and I got into an argument about what an "end cut beef rib" was. They tried to tell me that all beef ribs are end cuts and that wasn't what I was wanting. I wanted a beef rib that was on the end so one side is exposed meat and the other is charred/unexposed. I thought it was simple to get but they were really combative. Cut to Panther City and I asked for the smallest beef rib they had and the guy at the front said "I'll get you an end cut beef rib". Couldn't be happier with that interaction lol

17 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Finally tried Panther City BBQ, not too bad! Haven't been to this area since Heim was at the trailer and wow it's changed so much. Brisket was a bit average, turkey was moist and delicious, pulled pork great, pork belly burnt ends great, and the beef rib was awesome. Mac and cheese was super, silky, creamy, and sexy. What a great departure from the trend of overwhelming that side with pepper. One thing that really stuck out to me was ordering the beef rib. The only time I've ever had anything resembling a confrontation at a restaurant was at Heim when the cashier and I got into an argument about what an "end cut beef rib" was. They tried to tell me that all beef ribs are end cuts and that wasn't what I was wanting. I wanted a beef rib that was on the end so one side is exposed meat and the other is charred/unexposed. I thought it was simple to get but they were really combative. Cut to Panther City and I asked for the smallest beef rib they had and the guy at the front said "I'll get you an end cut beef rib". Couldn't be happier with that interaction lol

I went by Friday and grabbed a pork sandwich to eat in the truck. Really like the sauce they serve on the side. Beans were good a little spicier than normal but i like that. My only complaint about them is it takes a long time to get your food no matter if there is a line or not. 

Was just in Denton yesterday for some El Pollo Loco & In-N-Out, a short 120 miles from the house right now, it seems someone was "funny" up in Okieland recently:

In-N-Out Burger confirms 'Here Soon' banner in Tulsa is a prank

Fox News-Dec 6, 2018
"We just became aware of the rumors about In-N-Out Burger coming to Tulsa and unfortunately they are not true," said Carl Arena, vice ..

• 2 weeks later...

Finally hit up one of the Dayne's Craft Barbecue pop ups. They were at Martin House Brewing yesterday. 

Very high praise. Great rub on the brisket. The lean was moist and spot on. The ribs had some type of light glaze sauce on them. I was looking at it kinda funny (oh great its kc style), but it was on very thin, not overbearing and worked well on the ribs. 

On 12/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, wild_turkey said:

Anyone been to Saint Emilion since they reopened?

i too am curious, they got a good review in Texas Monthly (yeah yeah yeah)

their menu looks great

yelp reviews of the after the re-open look pretty solid outside of this gem - for anyone who is curious they opened a new place that had the menu of the old place and took the old place to more a bistro concept.

Very disappointed in the "new" Saint-Emilion, this used to be our favorite restaurant in the metroplex. Now the food is okay and cheaper, I would rather pay the original price and the food be fantastic. They need to switch Paris 7th and Saint-Emilion back! Why fix something if it isn't broken!!

this person just needs to go to Paris 7th and call it a day.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, bluto said:

News said it'll be a few wks depending on weather, can't imagine what kinda shit show it woulda been around there if it happened during Christmas season as if it's not bad enough. 

Let's hope the Montgomery Street road crew is not working this one or it could be years.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i too am curious, they got a good review in Texas Monthly (yeah yeah yeah)

their menu looks great

Okay, to follow up on my own question, I've now been to Saint Emilion twice in the past few weeks. The first time was great (hence the second visit). The second time was good but not great, although I think that's partly due to what we ordered and they were short a server so service was slow. I'm ok with slow service as long as the wine doesn't run empty.

I never went to Saint Emilion prior to their remodel. From what they told me, their former menu is now being served at Paris 7th, which is their upscale restaurant. Saint Emilion is now intended to be a little more casual with a French country bistro menu.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Okay, to follow up on my own question, I've now been to Saint Emilion twice in the past few weeks. The first time was great (hence the second visit). The second time was good but not great, although I think that's partly due to what we ordered and they were short a server so service was slow. I'm ok with slow service as long as the wine doesn't run empty.

I never went to Saint Emilion prior to their remodel. From what they told me, their former menu is now being served at Paris 7th, which is their upscale restaurant. Saint Emilion is now intended to be a little more casual with a French country bistro menu.

so, is that a thumbs up from you and worth a trip? haha

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

so, is that a thumbs up from you and worth a trip? haha

Yeah it's a thumbs up from me and worth a trip. I give them a mulligan on the second visit. The atmosphere is nice and cozy, the wine list is good and inexpensive, and the food is overall good.

• Like 1

Went by there today, place is weird AF. Nice folks. On the wall their tag line is "American food with Indian flavor" or some weird shit like that. Asked for 5 wings just to try em and told em I liked spicy... get home and discover 5 wings with the generic store bought Asian zing type sauce on the side. Wings were definitely fresh but there's zero reason for me to go back. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, spystud13 said:

Daddy Jack’s closes this weekend. Only went once years ago, wasn’t impressed, but it made it two decades. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/eats-beat/article224082740.html

I loved the one on Greenville Ave but it closed in like Spring 2017. Too bad, was open for 30+ years

2 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Anyone know why they did most of Montgomery in concrete but left asphalt on the northbound lanes between El Campo and I-30? Why not go concrete all the way?

They still have work to do, they are just shutting down during the rodeo. 

Arlington, but still. 

Regardless what you think of the name, the new Cartel Taco Bar has one great taco.

The blackened-chicken-bacon-mac-and-cheese taco is a work of taco genius, and makes it worth the venture to Arlington’s East Front Street and the Urban Union bar district.

In a flour tortilla, Cartel Taco comes up with a combination reminiscent of those at Velvet Taco.

The blackened chicken brings plenty of spice on top of the smoked 5-pepper mac-and-cheese.

For $4.25, it’s the top-of-the-line taco on chef Paul Checkeye’s menu that also includes a fried-chicken-bacon-blue-cheese taco, a barbacoa-ghost-pepper-sauce taco and seven other premium choices on 6-inch tortillas.

There’s also a menu of smaller street tacos, including not only fajitas or fish but also rotisserie chicken and smoked salmon. They’re $1 on Wednesdays.

The side dishes are creative: pepper Jack cheese sticks coated with crushed corn chips, spicy fried green beans, a “taco soup” and salsa-verde quesadillas or nachos.

The chips come not only with queso but also with pork rinds fried and cracklin’ fresh. If you love pork rinds that come to the table crackling, this is your place.

Besides the ill-considered name — Grease Monkey Burger Shop owner Greg Gardner says it’s from his band, the Texas Cartel — Cartel Taco Bar suffers from one other lack of taco-shop credibility.

The only hot sauces in the dining room are Cholula and Tabasco. There’s no El Yucateco or even Valentina, and no complimentary salsas with the tacos.

The taco shop complements other Urban Union restaurants such as the smash hit Tipsy Oak burger patio.

It’s open for lunch and dinner daily — no breakfast tacos — at 506 E. Division St., but technically closer to East Front Street; 817-200-6364, carteltacobar.com.

Anyone been to Grease Monkey? It was always packed when I tried, plus the kitchen closes at 10. 

And this is a fast fucking closing. 

Americado, the West Berry Street dining hall/restaurant that had undergone several changes and even came back from a previous closing, has closed again.

The reasons for the closing are unclear. After seeing some Facebook posts about the closing, the Star-Telegram found the doors open shortly after noon on Thursday — Americado is not typically open for weekday lunch — and a couple of employees inside. One confirmed the closing but declined to say why.

Americado, which opened in March 2017, closed in early November of the same year but quickly bounced back. 

The latest incarnation — as a mini-food hall — may have been the best. Vendors included Brix Barbecue and Shin’ Ya Ramen, both of which received praise (including from such non-Fort Worth outlets as D Magazine) and developed followings. That incarnation didn’t last very long, however; Star-Telegram “Eats Beat” columnist Bud Kennedy wrote about it less than two months ago in a November column.

saw this review, has anyone been to the one in downtown? 

I was there recently. Haven’t done any research but it felt like to me they took over an office building and converted it to a hotel. Location is walkable to lots of restaurants. The hallway on the floor with rooms is really disjointed. The room I was in certainly had a non-traditional layout but was large and of decent quality. I happened to be there on the grand opening night so they were having a free happy hour in the lobby which was packed. I’m not familiar with their branding and strategy and where it fits with other hotels but it’s a bit quirky as mentioned in the reviews in that linked thread.

2 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I was there recently. Haven’t done any research but it felt like to me they took over an office building and converted it to a hotel. Location is walkable to lots of restaurants. The hallway on the floor with rooms is really disjointed. The room I was in certainly had a non-traditional layout but was large and of decent quality. I happened to be there on the grand opening night so they were having a free happy hour in the lobby which was packed. I’m not familiar with their branding and strategy and where it fits with other hotels but it’s a bit quirky as mentioned in the reviews in that linked thread.

That used to be one of the twin Radioshack office buildings that straddled the Tandy Center Mall.

This was the very next paragraph after the part I quoted. 

Brix told the Star-Telegram’s Bud Kennedy that it is getting its Airstream trailer, aka the “SmokeStream,” ready to be mobile and that it is in discussions with other business to give it a permanent home. Brix also has a couple of pop-ups planned and is scheduled to be part of Ring of Fire: A Next-Level Cookout on April 7 at this year’s Fort Worth Food + Wine Festival.

Doing a long weekend staycation in Ft Worth. Started at Crockett Food Hall (I had the chicken and waffles and she had the lobster salad). Walked over to the Kimbell and then Ampersand after for a coffee. 

I’m now brewery hopping between Hopfusion and Collective Brewing. Great start to the weekend. 

• Like 3