Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

13 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Have to make the dreaded trip to DMV for renewal, is there a secret location that doesn’t suck? 

Get an appointment!!!  You can get one online. 

I waited 4 hours last month because I didn't have one.  You will still wait with an appointment but not nearly as long. 

• Like 1

Anyone been to either of these joints? Will have to check out the burger place. 

The Stockman’s Cafe is the nerve center of the Stock Show cattle barns, and not only because it’s open 24 hours.

For decades, ranchers and teenagers have gathered through the wee hours in the burger-breakfast stand inside a drafty cattle barn.

Now, the Stockman’s Cafe has moved to a fancy new home in Cattle Barn No. 1, featuring air conditioning, heat and a much larger menu of burgers, sandwiches and Coburn’s barbecue.

The Stockman’s has moved into the artisan-burger market, offering a “Grand Champion” barbecue-bacon-cheddar burger and a “Will” barbecue-Gouda-onion-string burger among six choices.

Top them with a choice of pickles from a gourmet pickle bar, including bloody-Mary pickles.”

Sandwiches range from a Cuban press to a ham-and-cheese with brown sugar-pineapple sauce, or a smoked turkey-cranberry sandwich.

The restaurant also serves brisket and jalapeno sausage, calf fries and Coburn’s hearty chili con carne.

Do not overlook the choice of potatoes: waffle fries, crinkle-cut sweet-potato fries, breakfast potatoes or baked-potato salad.

The morning breakfast menu includes breakfast tacos, paninis and biscuits with gravy.

Yes, there’s a Caesar salad or a chef’s salad.

The Stockman’s Cafe is open 24 hours inside Cattle Barn No. 1, 3501 Burnett Tandy Drive, 817-877-2400, fwssr.com.

The name is Downtown Cantina, referring to “downtown” Weatherford.

Downtown amounts to the courthouse, and maybe one block each way.

But don’t be fooled. Downtown Cantina would be a hit in any town.

The owners of Whistle Hill Cafe have taken the popular tacos-nachos-and-beer concept and refined it with upgraded tacos, more flavors and a full bar.

Taking over a former burger grill, Downtown Cantina offers nachos any Texan love: topped with brisket or pork, barbecue sauce, bacon, black beans and onion strings. It’s topped with cheddar-Jack cheese and another Downtown signature: a Sriracha crema.

It’s $10 worth of joy on the Parker County square. Or order the brisket on a quesadilla or taco, or on the tacos with Sriracha slaw.

Downtown’s tacos are larger than street tacos, and more complicated. The chicken and pork tacos come on flour tortillas, the brisket, fish and veggie on corn (unless you ask).

There are combinations like a surf-and-turf taco with steak, shrimp and pepper Jack; a Parker County pork-and-peach taco with cotija and peach salsa; a blackened shrimp taco with bacon and cheddar-Jack grits; and a fried cauliflower taco with sweet Thai chili aioli, or a fried-plantain taco with mango-pineapple vinaigrette.

Even the chips-and-dips combo shows a little extra care. The chips are completely different than with the nachos: thicker, crunchier and more dip-worthy, dusted with chile powder. You’ll have trouble slowing down on the chips when your tacos arrive.

For dessert, there’s a “cheesecake chimichanga”: cheesecake rolled in a flour tortilla, fried and served with white chocolate sauce or honey. I have no idea how anyone can eat dessert after a plate of these tacos and salsa, but the “chimis” are worth saving room.

Don’t expect Tex-Mex or enchiladas. Downtown Cantina is strictly about tacos, nachos, quesadillas or bowls, with sauces like serrano (or the ubqiuitous buttermilk ranch) and sides like elote.

With Topo Chico and a full bar, and Austin-based Yellowbird habanero or ghost-pepper sauce on the table, it’s like going to Austin but closer.

Downtown Cantina is open daily except Monday for lunch, dinner and late night; 105 College Ave., 817-341-6810; facebook.com/DowntownCantina.

Downtown Cantina is meh. I’d rather go to Shep’s or Vintage Grill. Shep’s just opened a new spot in FW down the street from TCU, I believe it’s called Shep’s off the Hook. If it’s anything like their weatherford ventures you should definitely check it out.
I am disappointed to hear Downtown Cantina is meh, I was hoping it would be a good local place to eat in Weatherford. I was not impressed with Vintage (although my visits were early in their existence) and while Sheps is pretty good I rarely think about.

I was too. There’s really no middle ground in Wford, you go from Shep’s to Fire Oak. Don’t get me started on Mesquite Pit, that place is terrible. Vintage isn’t bad for Wford but there’s obviously better places in FW. My two favorite spots in that area are Boo-Rays and Shep’s. We honestly find ourselves heading to Rooster’s in Decatur more often than anything in Wford.
Yeah, Weatherford doesn't offer much beyond chains. Mesquite Pit is terrible but for some reason I know people that love it. We love BooRays too and eat there often.

11 hours ago, bluto said:

Derek Allan bbq that's under construction at 8th/rosedale has my attention. Fbook pics of his product looks pretty damn strong. Wife is smoke too. 

Any background info on him/his operation?

Nada on this operation but that location has never been able to sustain any previous tenants.  Hope his product is strong enough to build a following-it is close enough to where the wife works at Harris to promise some lunch dates.  Also, here is a link to another barbecue operation that will be coming to Cowtown after closing in Whitney:

https://floresbbq.com/

Went to Panther City BBQ yesterday after reading the recommendations here.  SWEET JEEEEBUS the ribs are my most favorite item as the sweet sauce and coarse pepper coating on that juicy pork that pulled easily off the bone just can't be beat.  The brisket was moist with a good fat cap but could have used a little more smoke flavor, jalapeno cheese sausage was worthy of a second helping, and the burnt ends were like crack-couldn't get enough.  Got there at 11:35 and by 11:45, they had sold out of burnt ends and brisket-early is a must on Friday.

Went to Panther City BBQ yesterday after reading the recommendations here.  SWEET JEEEEBUS the ribs are my most favorite item as the sweet sauce and coarse pepper coating on that juicy pork that pulled easily off the bone just can't be beat.  The brisket was moist with a good fat cap but could have used a little more smoke flavor, jalapeno cheese sausage was worthy of a second helping, and the burnt ends were like crack-couldn't get enough.  Got there at 11:35 and by 11:45, they had sold out of burnt ends and brisket-early is a must on Friday.

Pics dang it

Nickel City, a multiple-award-winning east Austin bar, will add a Near Southside location in South Main Village sometime this summer, according to a report in Eater Austin.

Megan Henderson, director of events and communications for Near Southside, Inc., confirmed the move.

Nickel City identifies itself pretty quickly on its website: “Cold Beer, Mixed Drinks, Etc. Etc.” Eater Austin calls it “Austin’s Best Bar” in the headline on its report, and named it Bar of the Year in 2017, a few months after it opened. 

“That worn-in sensation at the neighborhood bar is intentional,” Eater Austin said in its story on its 2017 awards. “There’s the dive-bar aesthetic, drafts of Coors, kitschy gnome mugs, and stellar frozen drinks.” The entry goes on to say that the cocktails are even better.

Nickel City also won Bar of the Year in CultureMap Austin’s 2018 Tastemaker Awards, and was named Best New Bar by Austin Monthly. Garden & Gun listed it among the South’s Best New Bars and it made Esquire’s list of Best Bars in America, 2018.

“This is not your dad’s dive of off-brand well spirits,” says Esquire’s entry. “But precious cocktail joint it is not. Go ahead and order that shot at 3 p.m., or enjoy a dangerously delicious frozen hurricane, one of the most popular drinks on the menu.”

The Austin drink menu is divided among “Well Known” (classics); “Lesser Known” (twists on classics, such as an Oaxacan Old Fashioned made with Olmeca Altos Reposado Tequila) and “Unknown” (unclear if the “Irish Monk” is currently available, but the name alone intrigues us). There’s a selection of boilermakers and “Nickeltiki” specialty drinks. 

The Fort Worth location will be at 212 S. Main St., which puts it near the new home of Bearded Lady, the former West Magnolia Avenue gastropub that’s currently under construction in a new South Main location. According to the Eater Austin story, the Fort Worth location will be nearly twice the size of the Austin one.

“We’re looking forward to being part of Fort Worth,” Nickel City co-owner Travis Tober told Eater Austin. “It’s truly the most authentic city in Texas.”

The bar’s other co-owners are Craig Primozich and Brandon and Zane Hunt, who run Austin’s Detroit-style pizza joint Via 313. They also run Delray Cafe, an on-site food truck that’s expected to also be part of the Fort Worth location.

Delray Cafe’s menu, found on the Nickel City website, includes an Original Detroit-Style Coney Dog ($3.96 in Austin), a $3.83 “loose burger” — chopped hamburger, chili, mustard and onion served on a steamed hot-dog bun — wings, sliders, fries, tots and more. Plus there are such interesting combos as the No. 4: fries, Irish coffee and Coors for $12.89.

But Tober tells Eater Austin that there will be special items on the food and drink menus that will work as “homages to Fort Worth.” 

The Nickel City news comes on the heels of news that another popular bar concept, Concrete Cowboy, plans to open a Fort Worth location. That one will be in Crockett Row at West 7th and is also expected to open in the late summer or early fall.

Nickel City is on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, all at @nickelcityatx

Kinda want that loose burger now. 

NOMAAA cannot wait for the new CC. 

On 2/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, pch said:

Drove by Saturday and dropped in, way too late (115pm)for brisket but got the last of the pork ribs. They're beautiful and taste great too. 

Really liked the sausage also. Pulled pork was solid. We got the last of everything, they shut down after our order. 

Only thing I didn't care for was the coleslaw. But it's coleslaw so no big deal. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Contractors are active at the old Thurber Mingus/Froggy's site, there were several trucks and a roofing dumpster out front this morning.  The address is also spray painted on the boarded up window. And then there is this...

Even though he is a known asshole and not liked on Surly, if there is someone who can be successful in that space its probably him. Pretty sure he lives 2 minutes down white settlement rd.

does travis still post here?  he could probably elaborate on the problems with that location.  think i remember someone saying it has a lot more to do with the city/parking than the success of a restaurant owner.  or something. 

"you know something" - bob knight

5 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

does travis still post here?  he could probably elaborate on the problems with that location.  think i remember someone saying it has a lot more to do with the city/parking than the success of a restaurant owner.  or something. 

"you know something" - bob knight

What's weird is that Froggy's always had a pretty steady crowd even if you had your fair share of riff raff in there. Never forget the time I saw a chick about six months pregnant choking down some cigs on the patio. 

Crazy thing about Tim is that Adam Jones at Grace loves him. Says he is awesome. Adam is about nice of a guy you can be. I ran up a $3500 tab once at Grace and left without paying. Jenny texted my wife the next day saying i left without paying and no big deal shit happens. Gave a credit card over the phone. 

On 2/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Errestaurants said:

Crazy thing about Tim is that Adam Jones at Grace loves him. Says he is awesome. Adam is about nice of a guy you can be. I ran up a $3500 tab once at Grace and left without paying. Jenny texted my wife the next day saying i left without paying and no big deal shit happens. Gave a credit card over the phone. 

CSB-I first met Jennifer while working at Caravan of Dreams back in 1994.  Was glad to see her again when Grace opened.

• Like 1