2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

One of these days maybe our front office will learn to quit with the pipe dream of pinning all our hopes on big time free agent acquisitions. Trading for talent, which admittedly they’ve been good at, and drafting is our only mode for success. The best way to trade for talent is to draft talent. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

One of these days maybe our front office will learn to quit with the pipe dream of pinning all our hopes on big time free agent acquisitions. Trading for talent, which admittedly they’ve been good at, and drafting is our only mode for success. The best way to trade for talent is to draft talent. 

I might've missed something, I'll admit I haven't been following all of the rumors and chatter, but what big fish have they been seriously selling out for this year? I think when Donnie or Mark have been asked about Durant et al, they answer truthfully that they'd gladly welcome them but no where have I seen that they're going all out or hedging everything on them like in recent years. Seems to me like they have been pretty realistic about their chances with those kind of names this time around.

Dragic is a good move. Good player with only one year in his contract. If the team isn't getting it done you can trade his expiring contact to a team desperate for cap space. Having flexibility in another year or two will be big entering the prime of the Luka-KP partnership.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

He doesn't. But I am no fan of Olynyk

You are right. I was reading the rotoworld contracts and didn't realize they haven't updated it to remove the 2018-19 salaries. Still, he has money this year and a player option for 12m in 20-21, which I'd imagine he would take. 

Still seems like the Mavs are doing a really poor job with their cap space.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

Jones is a good to v good defender with upside. Not bad for less than 2 million.

Thanks

FWIW Fish is saying the deal as it is currently being reported is missing something.  The math (contracts) doesn't add up so to speak

I hope so

So we go into free agency with 2 young studs and $30+ million in cap space to try to surround them with 3 and D guys and all we accomplish is taking the shit from the bottom of the Miami roster to allow Miami  to accomplish what they want while we address none of our needs.