2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

Rick Carlisle said it best when he talked about Deshawn Stevenson after we won the title.  I tried to find a linkable quote,  but 15 seconds of google searching failed me.   It was something like this:  you can have one crazy person on a team, it can actually be healthy, but under no circumstances can you get him a crazy friend.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Surprised to see OKC moving on from Adams. Wonder if they're looking at picking up Javale McGee or even potential trade for Capela.

They’re paying the luxury tax for a team that can’t get out of the first round in one of the leagues smallest markets.  This would be a salary dump.  I bet we could get him for a conditional 2nd rounder if we absorbed his contract without sending any money back, but IMO, that would be a terrible use of our cap space.  If they want to take Lee or Hardaway back, then sure, but there’s no reason for okc to do that.

I like him, but I'm not sure I love him enough to eat $11mm of the cap space. What if that's the reason we don't get Beverly or Brogdon? DFS is a much better defender with the ability (maybe?) be the 3 and D guy Dallas needs. I don't know, I see where you are coming from.

Does anyone here view Donnie as a good or even above average GM? If it weren't for him hitting it big on a generational talent who carried us for the last 20 years, Donnie would go down as one of the worst drafting GMs in NBA history. How many 1st round draft picks have we actually even hit on in the last 20+ years? 3? maybe 4?  (Dirk, Josh Howard, maybe Devin Harris and of course Luka) Our championship team had no business winning with the roster we had. Even as the 7th leading scorer in league history DIrk may be an all-time underrated talent. He basically carried garbage ass rosters to the playoffs for most of his career. 

I guess the fact that he wanted Giannis is good for his case. But he's awful in the draft.

His ability to work trades throughout Dirks career was impressive though. Got Jamison for nothing. Then used him to get Harris. Got Terry for Antoine Walker. Got Kidd when a lot of people thought that was a bad deal.  He got Caron Butler, Haywood and Stevenson for freaking Josh Howard and Gooden.

He built that championship team with excellent trades.  Hopefully he did the same this past winter.

• Like 1

I blame most of the years of ineptitude on Cuban trying to outsmart the room and not realizing where the Mavs were in relation to other teams as FA destinations. That's just based on my low opinion of Cuban being a narcissist.  I'm not sure how much blame we should assign to Donnie.  Maybe more than I'm giving him.

Their neglect of the draft in the latter half of Dirks career has been criminal.  Cheap controllable players are important.  Always have been and always will be.  

Never seen Roby play until last night.  Never even heard of Reaves.  

My initial reaction is that they are the type of athletes the Mavs need.  Bouncy and long. Seem to be really good defenders.  The type you should try to surround Luka with. 

Reeves is already on a 2way so they must like him.  I assume Kostas stays on a 2 way and that means Roby should make the roster.  But I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, I'm gruntled as I tend to be.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hopefully, we've found some contributors. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:42 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Does anyone here view Donnie as a good or even above average GM? If it weren't for him hitting it big on a generational talent who carried us for the last 20 years, Donnie would go down as one of the worst drafting GMs in NBA history. How many 1st round draft picks have we actually even hit on in the last 20+ years? 3? maybe 4?  (Dirk, Josh Howard, maybe Devin Harris and of course Luka) Our championship team had no business winning with the roster we had. Even as the 7th leading scorer in league history DIrk may be an all-time underrated talent. He basically carried garbage ass rosters to the playoffs for most of his career. 

What? Donnie has worked miracles to keep a competing team around Dirk for years and years past his prime with little cap room or assets.

Yes the draft sucked, because the organization as a whole, decided the draft wasn't the way to go, and they usually used picks as ways to add talent to the team.  It was a different NBA until recently, and lately he's had a good track record(the only reason DSJ was moved is because they got a transcendent player that didn't fit well with him).  Finding guys like Brunson in the 2nd round is a plus.

I have little doubt that if they truly tried to ever rebuild(which they NEVER did until the last 3 years, that they would have at the very worst been above average drafting.  They were just so good for so long with Dirk, and had to use assets like draft picks to keep putting teams around him.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:16 AM, Trey3216 said:

Y’all have to remember that the Mavs rarely even had 1st round picks over a 14 year period.  They traded them for roster filling purposes. 

Pretty  much.

AS for FA, it's different now.  You may not see it this year as Luka is just a 2nd year player and KP is coming off injury...but in the next few years you'll see more guys flocking here to play with the young guys.

On 6/21/2019 at 12:42 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Cuban ran this team into the ground after the Finals in 2011. Nothing but patchwork rosters the rest of Dirk's career. Dirk still had enough in the tank for us to make noise for some years. He mis read the CBA after the lockout and went all in on DWill and Dwight (both overrated and no one to build a team around) and fell on his face. Then we scrambled and made a terrible knee jerk trade to get Odom. That set in motion the demise.

I did like the Rondo trade but him and Rick didn't fit together at all. And it blew up. We have only won a total of 5 playoff games since we won it all. No series wins. Both the Mavs and Rangers met the same fate after the 2011 seasons. No success at all after, although the Rangers were actually contenders in years after unlike the Mavs.

I don't have tons of faith in this front office building a championship roster from scratch and relying on the draft to do it. Unless you are the Heat when they built that team, you need to build your core in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Cuban ran this team into the ground after the Finals in 2011. Nothing but patchwork rosters the rest of Dirk's career. Dirk still had enough in the tank for us to make noise for some years. He mis read the CBA after the lockout and went all in on DWill and Dwight (both overrated and no one to build a team around) and fell on his face. Then we scrambled and made a terrible knee jerk trade to get Odom. That set in motion the demise.

I did like the Rondo trade but him and Rick didn't fit together at all. And it blew up. We have only won a total of 5 playoff games since we won it all. No series wins. Both the Mavs and Rangers met the same fate after the 2011 seasons. No success at all after, although the Rangers were actually contenders in years after unlike the Mavs.

I don't have tons of faith in this front office building a championship roster from scratch and relying on the draft to do it. Unless you are the Heat when they built that team, you need to build your core in the draft.

Good stuff..... Mavs need to avoid the Horford deal and stay younger with more cap freedom.  Horford is good for at most 1-2yrs then he's done.  Adding a cheaper veteran on a shorter contract makes more since.... Patrick Beverly or Reddick might be possibilities??

Edited by LTtxfan

I don’t mind the Horford move as part of other bid off season moves. But him by himself is not enough.

You pull off that rumored Horford and Kemba move(lots of movie parts and speculation, nothing concrete) and they just put the rebuild in hyper speed.

But other wise the Mavs are at least 2 years away from serious contention with any other moves

On 6/22/2019 at 12:43 PM, Vic Mackey said:

That's literally what this same front office did in 2011. It's obviously extremely difficult and unlikely to happen again, but I'll take this front office over most of the others in the league. 

• Like 1