2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Listening to Brad Townsend yesterday and he brought up Tobias Harris unsolicited.  He's pretty tapped in to the Mavs so I thought it was interesting that he brought it up.

I think Tobias is really well suited for a third banana role. And he's matches up with the Mavs (which is to say Luka's and KP's) success timeline much better than someone like Horford. But that would really have the Mavs loading up on guys who struggle to defend their own position, let alone being able to switch/offering defensive versatility. But I mean... if they score 1.2 pts every possession, who gives a fuck?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Listening to Brad Townsend yesterday and he brought up Tobias Harris unsolicited.  He's pretty tapped in to the Mavs so I thought it was interesting that he brought it up.

isn't he going to get > $30 per?  no thanks.

Love this best case from ESPN:

Projected cap space: $28.8 million

Potential free-agency targets: Kemba Walker, Al Horford, Patrick Beverley

Best case: The Mavericks have a window to use their salary-cap space to bring in high-priced players before extending Kristaps Porzingis. They make the necessary moves to create $37 million in room and use that to sign both Al Horford and Patrick Beverley. These are two tough, defensive-minded veterans who can knock down the 3, maximize their contributions without needing the ball and teach the younger Mavs how to win.

Worst case: Dallas signs Porzingis to a max extension that doesn't have protections against future injuries and a full four-year deal is required to bring in the 33-year-old Horford, tying the team's long-term viability to two risky situations. -- Snellings

I'm on record not loving the Horford idea but I'd take him on a 2 year deal or a 2+PO. I 1000% want Bev. He and Brunson running point would be a nice. Add THJ in the mix in the guard rotation and that' pretty solid.

My realistic 15

PG: Beverly, Brunson, Burke

SG: THJ, Broekhoff, Reaves

SF: Baby Goat, DFS, Jackson

PF: Unicorn, Powell, Kostas, Roby

C Horford, Kleber

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BallamaticBevo said:

Love this best case from ESPN:

I'm on record not loving the Horford idea but I'd take him on a 2 year deal or a 2+PO. I 1000% want Bev. He and Brunson running point would be a nice. Add THJ in the mix in the guard rotation and that' pretty solid.

My realistic 15

PF: Unicorn, Powell, Kostas, Roby

C Horford, Kleber

had to do a doubletake on the username.  where've you been?

I'm on record not loving the Horford idea but I'd take him on a 2 year deal or a 2+PO. I 1000% want Bev. He and Brunson running point would be a nice. Add THJ in the mix in the guard rotation and that' pretty solid. My realistic 15

PF: Unicorn, Powell , Kostas, Roby

C Horford, Kleber

Shut up and take my $9.95

• Like 1

KP is going to sign an extension. Originally he was going to play on the qualifying offer and test free agency next summer. Hopefully there is no drop off in his game coming back from the injury.

Reading the various reports online, it is looking more likely the Mavs will not max contract anyone but look to add several players to support Luka and KP.

3 hours ago, RexWilson said:

KP is going to sign an extension. Originally he was going to play on the qualifying offer and test free agency next summer. Hopefully there is no drop off in his game coming back from the injury.

Reading the various reports online, it is looking more likely the Mavs will not max contract anyone but look to add several players to support Luka and KP.

That is the correct way to play this. We need to see how KP is after this injury and not playing in a long time. And see how him and Luka play together. Then go from there and assess which is the best type of 3rd player to add them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

That is the correct way to play this. We need to see how KP is after this injury and not playing in a long time. And see how him and Luka play together. Then go from there and assess which is the best type of 3rd player to add them.

disagree.  FA class is terrible next year.  if we wait for 2021 we'll only get two years of luka.  go for it now.  we have the money and we think we have something.  gotta roll the dice.

disagree.  FA class is terrible next year.  if we wait for 2021 we'll only get two years of luka.  go for it now.  we have the money and we think we have something.  gotta roll the dice.

That plus I don’t think the cap space will be there if Dallas signs anyone else to anything longer than a one year deal this offseason.

17 minutes ago, CBT said:

That plus I don’t think the cap space will be there if Dallas signs anyone else to anything longer than a one year deal this offseason.

Heard Kevin O'Connor claim today that we could have Brogdon on books at ~$25mm and in summer of 2021  have just Luka, KP, and Brogdon under contract and ~$43mm in cap space based on projected cap. So then Kostas' brother comes on board and it's 7 straight titles.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Heard Kevin O'Connor claim today that we could have Brogdon on books at ~$25mm and in summer of 2021  have just Luka, KP, and Brogdon under contract and ~$43mm in cap space based on projected cap. So then Kostas' brother comes on board and it's 7 straight titles.

I heard that.  I don't think that's taking into account Dorian and Maxi and what ever they might get.

But yeah essentially 

Powell is 100% getting an extension past next season. I think that Maxi will also. Small chance DFS does too. So, that money would count if we keep them. I do like the idea, I just don’t see how the money works if Dallas signs another decent sized deal this year.

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

What is out there right now? Kemba is not coming here. Are you going to get Beverly and another mid level player? Ehhh that isn't going to get it done, especially if the Lakers get Kawhi. You would still be behind the Rockets. And the Nuggets. Most likely the Blazers. This isn't about going all out right now. Luka and KP are very young. I don't see anyone out there who can come in here and put us in contention for 2019-20.

5 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

There is no way Dallas competes in the next two years.  Not a chance on any of the major FA’s this year.  Not being a dick, just being realistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

There is no way Dallas competes in the next two years.  Not a chance on any of the major FA’s this year.  Not being a dick, just being realistic.

Exactly. Dallas is right now in a good situation. They are just starting their new era. Houston will get old. Lakers are going all in right now. They aren't worried about the future. We will see what happens with GSW. Denver is very young but they aren't some team who puts fear in you like GSW did. They are not in any hurry to win now like the Lakers with Lebron. Now that doesn't mean dick around and not make any progress. I need to see Dallas make the playoffs here soon. It's been too long. 

Here's what I hope. 

Pat Bev

A 5 who can bang maybe Ed Davis or someone.  It's C by  committee so we need someone I don't really care who it is.

Re-sign Maxi  because I don't think he's a big that  can get played off the floor

Upgrade Jackson and DFS and CL and THJ if you can

I'd like THJ to play in the second unit with JJ.  I think his ceiling is a scorer off the bench.

As long as they can upgrade a few spots 3 through 8 on their roster I'm happy.  I don't care if they spend all of the 30 million or so they have available.

Be better in 2 weeks than you are today and reassess 

Also I would stalk some of these reported deals to see of if I could be a facilitator for a 1st rounder or a young player

Looks like it'll be a Pat Bev + one offseason. Disappointing considering how bad the FA class looks next year. Hoping that we get Brogdon or Harris but looking unlikely. 

I'd be ok with Boogie on a short contract plus Bev. Team would be fun to watch and compete for a playoff spot in the west next year.

I'm of the opinion that most of the supporting cast is so average that you can improve the team by upgrading with cheaper lesser name players.

Of course this thinking may be brought on by years of Dwight Howard DAJ and Deron Williams.

Also read that if Bojan goes to Utah that means they want have the money for Favors.

What is out there right now? Kemba is not coming here. Are you going to get Beverly and another mid level player? Ehhh that isn't going to get it done, especially if the Lakers get Kawhi. You would still be behind the Rockets. And the Nuggets. Most likely the Blazers. This isn't about going all out right now. Luka and KP are very young. I don't see anyone out there who can come in here and put us in contention for 2019-20.
There's a lot more out there now than next year. Who are you saving cap space for? Draymond next year? Giannis after that? Like you said, you need to compete NOW while baby goat is still cheap. This is the best FA class ever. If you sit this one out it would be a spectacular miscalculation
The West is the widest open it's been this decade. Dallas is going to compete this year for a playoff spot. Get some pieces in FA now, see what you're missing and then let the front office fill those spots. They've been exceptional at that.