2018 - 2019 Dallas Mavericks: Throw Some D's

CBT

54 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I have more respect for Dirk in his prime than any other player the spurs have gone up against. Straight up. Never played with a true superstar while they were in their prime, and that run you guys had to the finals was legendary for Dirk. He’s criminally underrated when people talk about the greats (especially wade), and it’s a damn shame you guys didn’t finish it off in 06 (and 07 really, but the spurs won that year). If he had both of those titles, or even one more title he’d be viewed a lot differently by the national media, which is ridiculous. 

Also that video was pretty awesome. Considering we were yalls main rival during his early prime years, I can see how they would make him emotional. It just makes sense that his last game would be at San Antonio. Those years were my favorite years as a basketball fan. Best rivalry in basketball at the time.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It's hard to pinpoint when my feelings for Dirk shifted from abject hatred to begrudging admiration to outright joy. The dude really is a class act, and the NBA is poorer for having lost one of its greatest players. 

For me it definitely happened during the ‘11 finals. I used to always poke fun at mavs fans for not having a title, but I think everyone around the country kinda backed the mavs during that finals against the heat. And it was obvious that he deserved a championship. Seeing Dirk be the best player in that series altered his legacy more than just about any one series for any player, at least as far as I’ve seen. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

Tried not not but a sports tear happened as he came off the floor for the last time. So awesome to hit that last shot at the top of the key and exit the floor to "MVP" chants in freaking san Antonio. Will always remember it and always treasure the memories he's provided me since childhood. Enjoy some earned rest, Dirk.  

• Like 1

I got to Dallas right about the time Dirk did. Always liked him. Had the privilege of covering him a little at the FWST and of all the Spurs’ main foils over the years, I have to say he earned the most respect from me and was my favorite. Super accommodating and very unassuming. I used to tell Mavs fans when they were ready to move on to just send him down I-35 when you were done with him. There aren’t many like him in pro sports. He will be missed. #dirty
  • Like 1

http://bleacherreport.com/post/dallas-mavericks/1eb756ed-5619-47de-a827-89aa407cdafd

Pop and Dirk at the end of the game. Also, the spurs fans staying afterwards giving him a standing O. I’m telling you, I don’t think there is another player (ever) that would get this kind of reaction from an SA crowd. 

My bad, it won’t let me embed 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

he's the last of his kind, a wholesome guy with raw emotions only of the good kind. Players these days only care about the money, not their teammates or the history of the game. They're mercenaries, cold blooded robots. Then we have Dirk, who plays for the love of the game, works hard, is a gentleman with the fans. Just a regular guy having fun. We can relate to him person to person. We won't see another like him again. 

• Like 1

Like everyone else, reminiscing on Dirk's career has me digging deep into his YouTube vault. I thought this series of Dirk's videos were pretty cool. First video is an interview of Dirk reflecting on his first time in America at the 1998 Nike Hoops summit. 

In the video he references his first English interview which you can watch below along with some of his highlights from that game.  Dirk set what was a record at the time with 33 points and 14 rebs. He went against Rashard Lewis, Al Harrington, and a few other names you might recognize.  He also played alongside Luis Scola on his world team. 

In the interview they mention that Dirk didn't really start playing seriously until Holger discovered him at 16 years old.  That's fucking unbelievable.  Literally picks up the game at 16 years and 2 years later he's an NBA pro prospect. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

It's not the talent.  It's not the accomplishments on the court.  It's not the respect he gets from teammates, players, and coaches across the NBA and the world.  It's not the community service that he does because he sincerely wants to make the world a better place, not because he thinks people are watching.  It's not the fact that he is a giant lovable goofball, who would gladly drink a beer or sing karaoke with strangers.  It's not his tireless work effort.  It's not his humility.  It's not his "team first" mentality.  It is not his generosity.  It is not his sense of humor.  It's not his genuine love of the game.  It's not his perfect hair.  It's not his signature uncoordinated crane technique fade away death to the infidels jump shot.   

It's the sum.  There has never been a player like Dirk, and there will never be another.  I miss him already.

• Like 5

It's hard to pinpoint when my feelings for Dirk shifted from abject hatred to begrudging admiration to outright joy. The dude really is a class act, and the NBA is poorer for having lost one of its greatest players. 

This is exactly how I feel as well. As a Spurs fan, I have abject hatred of all things Mavs. As a human and sports fan, I have nothing for respect for the career Dirk has had and the person that he has always been. Go enjoy a nice long quiet life, Dirk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kermit said:

Same.  I absolutely detested the Spurs and all their greatness.  Imagine hating guys like Duncan and Pop and Manu.  But I did.  I think 2012 was when I stopped hating and let myself appreciate.

Those were great games.  I'll miss them

Fuck I'm getting old

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Same.  I absolutely detested the Spurs and all their greatness.  Imagine hating guys like Duncan and Pop and Manu.  But I did.  I think 2012 was when I stopped hating and let myself appreciate.

Those were great games.  I'll miss them

Fuck I'm getting old

Yeah, we really are. Hopefully we can renew this rivalry with a new generation. 

The last 25 years or so have been a true golden age of NBA basketball in Texas. We may never see another period like it in this state.

Good point. Texas has been home to nearly 1/3 of the NBA championships in the last 25 years. That’s impressive.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The last 25 years or so have been a true golden age of NBA basketball in Texas. We may never see another period like it in this state.

That is what my drunk ass was trying to say last night. Just a badass time in this state watching basketball. Every summer was a blast when SA vs Mavs were on

• Like 1

I was a Mavs fan living in San Antonio during the most heated years of the rivalry.  I bought one of these shirts (mine does not have the white circle), but did not dare wear it around SA, as Spurs fans would stab a bitch, or at least spit in my taco or Whataburger. 

DirkSwish.jpg

I grew up in Dallas, but had always liked the Spurs before the Mavs came along.   The first professional basketball game I ever attended was the Dallas Chaparrals, who I saw in person as a 7yo kid at the old Colosseum at the State Fair.  The next season, Red McCombs and others bought the Chaparrals and moved them to San Antonio to became the Spurs.   I generally lost interest in professional basketball until the Mavs were born. 

I quickly became a huge Mavs fan, but the Spurs were still a likeable non-threatening team from a city I loved to visit, and I always thought highly of them until I moved there in 2001.  Once the rivalry heated up, the Spurs fans' hatred for all things Mavs eventually got the better of me, and I grew to hate them right back.  I'm back in Austin now, and the rivalry has mellowed with both teams not currently challenging for titles, allowing my natural admiration of the Spurs to return.  They do things the right way, and are my second favorite team in the NBA...at least until the next time they get between the Mavs and another title.  

If Dirk's last game could not be at home, I can't think of a better place than San Antonio.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

It's not the talent.  It's not the accomplishments on the court.  It's not the respect he gets from teammates, players, and coaches across the NBA and the world.  It's not the community service that he does because he sincerely wants to make the world a better place, not because he thinks people are watching.  It's not the fact that he is a giant lovable goofball, who would gladly drink a beer or sing karaoke with strangers.  It's not his tireless work effort.  It's not his humility.  It's not his "team first" mentality.  It is not his generosity.  It is not his sense of humor.  It's not his genuine love of the game.  It's not his perfect hair.  It's not his signature uncoordinated crane technique fade away death to the infidels jump shot.   

It's the sum.  There has never been a player like Dirk, and there will never be another.  I miss him already.

This is some good shit right here.  Props.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I was a Mavs fan living in San Antonio during the most heated years of the rivalry.  I bought one of these shirts (mine does not have the white circle), but did not dare wear it around SA, as Spurs fans would stab a bitch, or at least spit in my taco or Whataburger. 

DirkSwish.jpg

I grew up in Dallas, but had always liked the Spurs before the Mavs came along.   The first professional basketball game I ever attended was the Dallas Chaparrals, who I saw in person as a 7yo kid at the old Colosseum at the State Fair.  The next season, Red McCombs and others bought the Chaparrals and moved them to San Antonio to became the Spurs.   I generally lost interest in professional basketball until the Mavs were born. 

I quickly became a huge Mavs fan, but the Spurs were still a likeable non-threatening team from a city I loved to visit, and I always thought highly of them until I moved there in 2001.  Once the rivalry heated up, the Spurs fans' hatred for all things Mavs eventually got the better of me, and I grew to hate them right back.  I'm back in Austin now, and the rivalry has mellowed with both teams not currently challenging for titles, allowing my natural admiration of the Spurs to return.  They do things the right way, and are my second favorite team in the NBA...at least until the next time they get between the Mavs and another title.  

If Dirk's last game could not be at home, I can't think of a better place than San Antonio.   

I'm the exact opposite -- grew up in SA, moved to Dallas in 1998 when I was 25. Hell, the Spurs hadn't even won their first title when I came north -- we were the perennial bridesmaids. At any rate, was in the media and was around as the Mavs became the Mavs and admired and liked Dirk in my limited interaction with him. I called him unassuming on another thread -- hell, maybe this one -- and that's the word I keep coming back to. Like Duncan and Manu and Parker in SA, Dirk never gave off a better-than-you superstar vibe that is pervasive in the game today. Hell, I've got a couple of friends who have pics of them with Dirk and the Larry O'Brien trophy from when they took it to The Loon after the 2011 title!!!!

I don't hate the Mavs. I only saw them as a worthy adversary and obstacle to the Spurs winning the title. Not a huge Cuban fan but, whatever. They're not the cunt Rockets!!!!

I'm not the slightest bit surprised at how Dirk was showered with love in SA last night. Give respect (and Dirk always has), get respect. Period. If you go down the other path -- see Kawhi Leonard -- well, may God have mercy on your soul in that town! Dirk was a transcendent basketball player, a true trail-blazer. And overall good dude.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Kermit said:

3 hours ago, Hate said:

This is exactly how I feel as well. As a Spurs fan, I have abject hatred of all things Mavs. As a human and sports fan, I have nothing for respect for the career Dirk has had and the person that he has always been. Go enjoy a nice long quiet life, Dirk.

From a Spurs fan perspective, both these.

In addition to being just an unstoppable offensive force and ridiculous player and teammate, Dirk was just a cool fucking dude. If you can't like that guy, then there is just something wrong with you.

I would also be remiss in my Spurs fan thread shitting duties if I didn't note that he went out on a loss to the Spurs, just like most of the other times he lined up against them. 

• Like 4

One other note on the Spurs/Mavs rivalry... it was remarkable and almost uncanny how many of those games would come down to the last two minutes. And not just the playoff games either - the regular season games would seemingly always come down to the last two minutes too. When Dallas hired Avery -- one of ours -- it just escalated everything. That rivalry was so intense with so many great games. 

• Like 3