Monday Night Football: 49ers @Packers

TexasMan

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Garbage call on the defensive contact. Followed by blatant holding that scramble. Really bad refs here

yeah that was complete garbage holding on sherman.  not a sherman fan but that is ridiculously ticky tack if it is even holding.

Just now, dcar00 said:

yeah that was complete garbage holding on sherman.  not a sherman fan but that is ridiculously ticky tack if it is even holding.

Rodgers, Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees... they always seem to be on the positive end of those calls. That's the way these things go.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I have absolutely nothing against Rodgers. He's amazing. I just don't understand the yearly anointing of Rodgers (or even Mahomes as some said that last night could be a "passing of the torch"moment) as the best in the game when the greatest QB ever is still alive and well (and won an MVP and went to the Super Bowl 8 months ago).

At least the players got it right and voted him the best player in the league this offseason.

You should relay that message to Captain Pliability. He's said Rodgers is better than him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I have absolutely nothing against Rodgers. He's amazing. I just don't understand the yearly anointing of Rodgers (or even Mahomes as some said that last night could be a "passing of the torch"moment) as the best in the game when the greatest QB ever is still alive and well (and won an MVP and went to the Super Bowl 8 months ago).

At least the players got it right and voted him the best player in the league this offseason.

Most accomplished =/= best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Any doubt how that game would end?  I’m surprised it took an illegal contact to get it done. 

The last play I assumed was an intentional throw away to burn a few seconds to make sure the kick was the last play of regulation. 

Agreed on last play call being a time burn, plus the niners had been pretty solid on kick returns all night. Obviously worst case was a bad snap but besides that, no way AR gonna make a dumb throw and a penalty wasn't a killer as worst case was 15 yds but clock was stopped already so no runoff. 

Yeah, Rodgers is the man.  Brady has the hardware, but I think Rodgers is the best in the business.  His throwing motion, release, and ball flight and placement - its stupidly impressive to watch.  Add in his plus (diminishing) athleticism and he's at the top of the pyramid for me.  

I'm hoping we have a Rodgers starter-kit in Rising, sans some of AR's bitchassedness.  

Edited by BigVegasHorn26

15 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Most gifted also =/= best.

True.

But I think Brady was right when he said Rodgers would put up better numbers with their offense and institutional knowledge. And I think the Pats (at least Belichick, maybe not Kraft) believe that they could plug any above average QB in and they’d be just as good. 

Brady is a great player. But Belichick is the greatest coach, and it’s more about their system. I don’t think in a vacuum Brady has ever been the best QB in the league at any given point in his career, let alone best ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

But do you bring it up on games he doesn’t play in? Is that your thing too? 

The horse is dead, Jim. You've been following him around for 2 days now, can you drop it please? Brady didn't play in this game and yet there's discussion, why is that?

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

True.

But I think Brady was right when he said Rodgers would put up better numbers with their offense and institutional knowledge. And I think the Pats (at least Belichick, maybe not Kraft) believe that they could plug any above average QB in and they’d be just as good. 

Brady is a great player. But Belichick is the greatest coach, and it’s more about their system. I don’t think in a vacuum Brady has ever been the best QB in the league at any given point in his career, let alone best ever.

All of this. We've seen the Pats plug in QB's before and they did pretty darned good, good enough to get good contracts with other teams where they sort of fizzled.

25 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Here was aggie08’s post after the Chiefs/Pats game last night. I’m fairly fucking certain Rodgers didn’t play in it. 

And this was, literally, the first post that I've made even tangentially about Brady in the entire history of Surly.  I admit, it was a wordy, roundabout way to make a shitty point, but it got your "panties in a bunch" enough to call me out on the following night's game thread?  And I'm the weird one?  Carry on, though.

50 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

All of this. We've seen the Pats plug in QB's before and they did pretty darned good, good enough to get good contracts with other teams where they sort of fizzled.

This has already been discussed ad nausea, but the Matt Cassel year is highly-overstated.  He took a stacked roster (and Randy Moss who has made every QB he's ever played with look good) that went undefeated the year before, and only won two games against teams who finished the year with winning records, and got blown the fuck out by the 3 best teams on their schedule.  With Brady, they're the prohibitive favorites that year; without him, they miss the playoffs. 

I agree, though: there is a chicken or the egg discussion to be had.  Obviously, I'm not crazy enough to think that Brady would have had this level of success wherever he was drafted.  But, conversely, neither would Belichick had he not had to put a scrawny 6th round pick into the game after an ugly 0-2 start to his 2nd season in NE. The Spurs are the closest comparison that I can think of for the Patriots (you know, minus all the cheating): neither Duncan or Pop wins as much without the other, but that doesn't diminish their individual greatness; it was just a perfect fit of leadership style and coaching savvy.  As with Pop, Hoodie's team-first, sacrifice-your-ego culture doesn't work unless your best player buys in.