Earl Campbell being Earl Campbell

Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

Watching film of Earl trucking people should be a mandatory part of the recruiting process.  for offensive players AND defensive players.

One of Earl's famous "trucking" plays starts around 1 minute mark

• Size
  • Power
  • Strength
  • Speed
  • Elusive
  • Big Heart
  • Teammate
  • Leader

Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the most hilarious part of watching those videos is why you would ever have someone go after the QB.  just send 2 guys at Earl and make the QB keep it.

maybe it was tried and didn't matter anyway.

the most amazing thing is Earl's strides and how fast he gets to top speed.  It's crazy to see a guy that big hit top end that fast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Man, so many memories. I'm the same age as Campbell, and we were in Jester Dorm at the same time. Hate to see him having to use a scooter now. Guy was a beast on the field, and nicest person you'd ever want to meet off of it. 

Also, Walter Payton gone. 

Houston Oilers gone. 

Damn, those old Oiler whites were great. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Snacks said:

The #34 should be retired from the entirety of organized Houston sports... Little League, Middle School, High School, College, Pro... (I will allow Dynamo FC to take a shot, I guess...)

Nolan would like a word.

Actually that would BE indredibly awesome. 

Edited by TOR

I had a class with Earl. Big class. He was there everyday but wouldn't ask questions. He sat beside the great linebacker Lionel (pronounced like the toy train) Johnson. Earl would lean over and whisper to Lionen, then Lionel would raise his hand and ask the question. Earl preferred being quiet when there were a lot of people around.

On campus, he'd happily talk to anyone. Everytime I saw him, Earl looked so happy with life. Great son of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I had a class with Earl. Big class. He was there everyday but wouldn't ask questions. He sat beside the great linebacker Lionel (pronounced like the toy train) Johnson. Earl would lean over and whisper to Lionen, then Lionel would raise his hand and ask the question. Earl preferred being quiet when there were a lot of people around.

On campus, he'd happily talk to anyone. Everytime I saw him, Earl looked so happy with life. Great son of Texas.

Dang, you're old.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 12:59 PM, hookemATL said:

I met Earl at a book signing at Rooster Andrews a long ass time ago.  They were giving out free EC Sausages and tea while the public waited in line to meet the man.  I got him to sign the brim of my 90s era paint splash Longhorn cap and a copy of his autobiography for my Dad ("Peace and Love, Earl").  I remember so clearly how HUGE his hands were.  He shook my hand but he could have easily just shaken my entire forearm. 

If there is a bigger Texas legend (not just UT, but State of Texas), then I haven't met him.  The badassedist of all BAMFs.

I think I was in the same line as you also getting that book signed for Pops.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, yoladu said:

for obvious reasons, i never noticed the referee jumping completely off his feet, signaling the touchdown, before.

Anytime I watch old game film, I'm struck by how enthusiastic the officials seem to be about every signal. They're way too reluctant to give the wrong call now. 

6 hours ago, Eggo said:

Anytime I watch old game film, I'm struck by how enthusiastic the officials seem to be about every signal. They're way too reluctant to give the wrong call now. 

They’re too busy on their phone checking to see if a bank deposit has cleared.