2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'd venture that what Knight ran at IU was a motion with a purpose, as opposed to just running motion and hoping that something happens, while your outside three players weave back and forth with perimeter passing.

So, it works when it's well executed?  How is that any different than any other offense?

Tech's offense is suspect.  Earth shattering news right there.

1) It seems to be improving along with a deepening of the bench.

2) the defense is efforting...and kicking ass.  Points will happen regardless.

OU is 3-7 in the Big 12. I really want to see what the committee would do with them at 7-11. 
People would be so pissed if they got in but I think there's a decent chance it would happen. 

OU would be 19-12 at 7-11. They would get in with their schedule numbers. Then they will get eliminated 62-46 in a 11am Thursday tip.

6 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

OU would be 19-12 at 7-11. They would get in with their schedule numbers. Then they will get eliminated 62-46 in a 11am Thursday tip.

OU could lose their first round game or make a run to the elite 8. At 7-11 in the Big 12. 

That's why you always want to make the tournament. Outside of like the top 10 to 20 teams there isn't much separation. Anything can happen in the tournament.

I don't think anyone would be shocked if OU won a couple games in the tourney. Hell, they ran through the non-conference schedule. Their struggles are in Big 12 play. 

Edited by texasstrong12

OU could lose their first round game or make a run to the elite 8. At 7-11 in the Big 12. 
That's why you always want to make the tournament. Outside of like the top 10 to 20 teams there isn't much separation. Anything can happen in the tournament.
I don't think anyone would be shocked if OU won a couple games in the tourney. Hell, they ran through the non-conference schedule. Their struggles are in Big 12 play. 

Sure anything can happen. But OUs schedule was basically Notre Dames football schedule. Grind of mediums with better “names” than teams. OU is benefitting huge by not even having played a single Q4 game this season, which is amazing. But if the season ended now, OU only has one win over a tourney team (TCU) and two wins over a bubble team (Wofford, Florida).
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Sure anything can happen. But OUs schedule was basically Notre Dames football schedule. Grind of mediums with better “names” than teams. OU is benefitting huge by not even having played a single Q4 game this season, which is amazing. But if the season ended now, OU only has one win over a tourney team (TCU) and two wins over a bubble team (Wofford, Florida).

True. That's what Texas has working in their favor. They have 3 Kenpom top 15 wins (UNC, Purdue and Kansas). 

OU's best win might be Wofford (#31 in Kenpom). 

True. That's what Texas has working in their favor. They have 3 Kenpom top 15 wins (UNC, Purdue and Kansas). 
OU's best win might be Wofford (#31 in Kenpom). 

Yeah. UT has better wins than OU but worse losses. Also a few of the bottom quadrant games. Will be an interesting and exasperating journey for both of us I think.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Somebody should figure out the conference records in recent years of all the coaches in the Big 12 outside of Self. I bet almost everyone is near or below .500. 

This conference is brutal because there are a lot of good coaches in this conference and nobody can win consistently (except Self). 

Last three full seasons (leaving out coaches who joined their current coaches who joined later than that cutoff):

KU (Self): 44-10

WVU (Huggins): 36-18

KSU (Weber): 23-31

ISU (Prohm): 26-28

OU (Kruger): 25-29

Texas (Smart): 23-31

Baylor (Drew): 30-24

Edited by Machinator

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah. UT has better wins than OU but worse losses. Also a few of the bottom quadrant games. Will be an interesting and exasperating journey for both of us I think.

The real question is if OU can even go 4-4 to get to 7-11. I'm not so sure. 

Tech, @ Baylor, @ TCU, Texas, @ Iowa State, WV, Kansas, @ K-State. 

That's a brutal finish. I hadn't realized OU had already played 3/4 games against the two bottom feeders in OK State and WV. 

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I would say Huggins is the 2nd best coach in the league and he's lost 12, 9, 7, 5, 6, 7 and 8 games in the Big 12. 

The round robin schedule makes things brutal. You just aren't going to see many coaches with 14-4 and 15-3 type records in this league unless you have a top tier coach like Self. 

So OU, , Tech, Baylor, or whomever would be better with 300# of butter at the helm?

lolz.  He’s got longevity, for sure. I don’t see him as the best coach after Self at all.  

Edited by slorch

53 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wouldn't want Huggins because he's 65 years old but based on resume Kruger or Huggins are probably the 2nd best coach in the Big 12. 

Kruger and Huggins are both having down years but again what coaches consistently win in this league outside of Self? 

As much as it pains me to say it, Drew has won consistently.  He's never won the league, or a conference tourney, but he's got some deep NCAA runs, routinely keeps his team in the Top 25, and more often than not finishes above .500 in league play.

I hate Baylor to my absolute core, and he irritates the fuck out of me, but I'd have to call him a consistent winner.

54 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I wouldn't want Huggins because he's 65 years old but based on resume Kruger or Huggins are probably the 2nd best coach in the Big 12. 

Kruger and Huggins are both having down years but again what coaches consistently win in this league outside of Self? 

Beard has been totally inconsistent and unpredictable.  I mean they keep picking him 7th, so I understand the label.

23 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

As much as it pains me to say it, Drew has won consistently.  He's never won the league, or a conference tourney, but he's got some deep NCAA runs, routinely keeps his team in the Top 25, and more often than not finishes above .500 in league play.

I hate Baylor to my absolute core, and he irritates the fuck out of me, but I'd have to call him a consistent winner.

Since 2010-11 Drew has finished T-7th, T-3rd, T-4th, T-6th, T-4th, T-5th, T-2nd, and T-6th in the Big 12. We will see where he finishes this year. 

I'm not denying he's a good coach but he hasn't consistently won in the Big 12. Heck, his overall record in the Big 12 is 120-141. That record is skewed because he took over a Baylor program that was in deep shit but the point still remains. 

The context wasn't about NCAA tournament runs or top 25 finishes. The main point is that it's tough to win in the Big 12. Outside of Self, all these coaches are losing at least 6 games a year in league play. I view "consistent winners" as coaches that at least string together some 16-2, 15-3, 14-4, 13-5 type seasons. Again, that isn't a criticism of Drew. It's just tough to win consistently in the Big 12. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Since 2010-11 Drew has finished T-7th, T-3rd, T-4th, T-6th, T-4th, T-5th, T-2nd, and T-6th in the Big 12. We will see where he finishes this year. 

I'm not denying he's a good coach but he hasn't consistently won in the Big 12. Heck, his overall record in the Big 12 is 120-141. That record is skewed because he took over a Baylor program that was in deep shit but the point still remains. 

The context wasn't about NCAA tournament runs or top 25 finishes. The main point is that it's tough to win in the Big 12. Outside of Self, all these coaches are losing at least 6 games a year in league play. I view "consistent winners" as coaches that at least string together some 16-2, 15-3, 14-4, 13-5 type seasons. Again, that isn't a criticism of Drew. It's just tough to win consistently in the Big 12. 

With that definition, no doubt. 

51 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Drew is a very interesting case. He’s obviously a good coach and has gotten better with time. On the one hand, the pinnacle of his resume is two Elite 8 runs when the bracket fell apart (none of those 6 wins came against single digit seeds). On the other hand, he took over a situation as ugly as anything we’ve ever seen and turned it around. On that front he almost doesn’t have a comparison. Bill Snyder lite maybe?

8 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Drew is a very interesting case. He’s obviously a good coach and has gotten better with time. On the one hand, the pinnacle of his resume is two Elite 8 runs when the bracket fell apart (none of those 6 wins came against single digit seeds). On the other hand, he took over a situation as ugly as anything we’ve ever seen and turned it around. On that front he almost doesn’t have a comparison. Bill Snyder lite maybe?

I think that's a very fair comparison.

He's not elite, but he's done a pretty good job by any measure, and a remarkable one considering where he started.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think that's a very fair comparison.

He's not elite, but he's done a pretty good job by any measure, and a remarkable one considering where he started.

I think that to take a "fair" look at his record you need to start at the 2006 season. Before that he was playing with scrubs in large part and when the NCAA finally levied penalties for the Bliss fiasco he had a season where his scrubs started their season in conference play. No non-con. Still though, I don't think he's EVER beaten KU. Not once, iirc. Could be wrong on that but after 15 or so years you'd think the blind hog could find an acorn just once. He's been okay and seems to do well at the tourney game, both pre-season and post. In conference he's been barely above average.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

I think that to take a "fair" look at his record you need to start at the 2006 season. Before that he was playing with scrubs in large part and when the NCAA finally levied penalties for the Bliss fiasco he had a season where his scrubs started their season in conference play. No non-con. Still though, I don't think he's EVER beaten KU. Not once, iirc. Could be wrong on that but after 15 or so years you'd think the blind hog could find an acorn just once. He's been okay and seems to do well at the tourney game, both pre-season and post. In conference he's been barely above average.

He's never won @ Kansas.

They just won last year in Waco versus Self.  2013, 2018 in Waco. 2009 and 2012 in the Big 12 tournament.