2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

7 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I'll be interested to see if ISU gets their shit back together. Whatever happened to the team cohesion will be tested and regardless will reflect on the HC. I'm beginning to think that with the exception of TTech this has been a down year for the league. Outside of the Red Raiders nobody really jumps out to me as being a deep run in the tourney type team though Texas may surprise some. JMHO.

I kind of agree with all of this.  I've been a Prohm fan, and am certainly not giving up on him as our coach, but I'm starting to have serious doubts.  If he can regroup this squad and make a couple runs over the next 2-3 weeks, this slide will be long forgotten by our fanbase.  This wasn't a year where anyone had expectations until lo and behold the team started winning a bunch.

But this slide has been every bit as bad as I've made it out to be.  Last Saturday was a step in the right direction, but that step doesn't mean much if there isn't follow through.  Regardless, he's earned next year, but if we go 0-2 over the next few games, his seat will be warm next year.

The league definitely feels down, outside of Tech.  KSU can do damage if healthy, but I don't think that's the case.  Maybe KU will wake up, having been relieved of the pressures of previous years.  Down from them, the rest of us will be doing very well to get to the second round, and the second weekend would be a home run.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

As stated a few days ago, it's not so much about the negativity ... it's that this is a Texas board and we just don't give a shit about ISU enough to be interested in the never-ending series of complaints about the state of the Cyclones basketball team.

This thread isn't about Texas basketball.  It's a Texas board, but one that's always had tons of fans of other schools.  There's always a thread that's devoted to the Big 12 season.  Am I missing something here?  Over half the posters in this thread aren't Texas fans.  They post about their team.  There are Tech fans posting about Tech, KU fans posting about KU, Baylor fans posting about Baylor, OSU fans posting about OSU, etc.  There's tons of threads about Texas basketball and I don't post in any of them, as I assume the other schools fans don't either.

Christ, it wasn't even a complaint.  Picking a healthy Baylor team to beat ISU is pretty much the definition of realistic.  A key story line in the Big 12 season this year has been the cliff dive that ISU has done.  That's not excessive negativity.  They have lost a shit load of games recently after being in the title race for 2/3rds of the season.  It's just a fact.

If you don't want fans of other schools posting on the board, put that at the door.  If I was spamming Texas threads, I'd get it, but it's pretty germane to the thread where it's at.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Correct, this isn't a Texas thread and many of the contributors are not Texas fans. As far as I can tell, however, most of the people reading any thread on this site are Texas fans, and you're the only one who provides a constant stream of bitching/whining about the perceived underperformance of your team. It got old months ago.

I enjoy talking fishing or biking or hoops or whatever with you, but the Debbie Downer routine is tiresome. This season sucks. You're disappointed. I get it. We all get it. But after months of non-stop bitching and whining, what complaint or pessimistic prediction can you share that isn't just another iteration of what you've said before?

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Correct, this isn't a Texas thread and many of the contributors are not Texas fans. As far as I can tell, however, most of the people reading any thread on this site are Texas fans, and you're the only one who provides a constant stream of bitching/whining about the perceived underperformance of your team. It got old months ago.

I enjoy talking fishing or biking or hoops or whatever with you, but the Debbie Downer routine is tiresome. This season sucks. You're disappointed. I get it. We all get it. But after months of non-stop bitching and whining, what complaint or pessimistic prediction can you share that isn't just another iteration of what you've said before?

Two posts up?  ISU has been in a nasty funk, but there's still a lot of opportunity for this team to "erase" it.  The next two weeks will be pretty crucial to Steve Prohm's overall tenure here.  They're basically two separate opportunities for this team to correct itself and end the season relatively successfully.  

The team that won in Lubbock, Manhattan, and ran KU out of the gym in Ames will make some noise.  The team that got swept by TCU, Baylor, and blown out in Morgantown will get smoked.  Hope to see the former!

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Cam Lard will play tomorrow, allegedly.  He was neither hurt nor formally suspended for Tech, but didn't see playing time.

Hard to tell if his presence is good or bad.  Talented guy, but lots of speculation that he's a bit of a cancer, has had obvious issues staying out of trouble, and if he's at the center of whatever vortex has engulfed this team.  The Tech game was the best we've looked since Manhattan, nearly a month ago.  Maybe it wasn't a coincidence?  Glad I'm not the guy making that call.

19 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

No one's asking you to read the thread. This is a Big 12 thread let him bitch if he wants to bitch who cares?

I read the thread because I'm interested in general Big 12 news, not because anyone has asked me to.

And I'm absolutely not the only one who's tired of Al's "poor me" routine.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

I read the thread because I'm interested in general Big 12 news, not because anyone has asked me to.

And I'm absolutely not the only one who's tired of Al's "poor me" routine.

Fair enough but after reading CF I can see why Al chooses to bitch here rather than there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Fair enough but after reading CF I can see why Al chooses to bitch here rather than there.

Talking sports on CF is horrible.  I only post Off Topic there.

In the past, Surly/Shaggy has always been receptive to self deprecating handwringing.  A void where I had no real life connections.  There's something therapeutic about yelling into the void, and then going on with your day as opposed to letting sports control anything other than a couple hours at a time of your life.  It was easy to do it here, as opposed to social media where I look like a jackass to family and friends.  I think most other fanbases would behave similarly given where we're at.  ISU fans badly wanted to win a regular season title, and like many past years, it was in reach for much of the year.  When we fell apart, we crashed.  Compared to what I read on CF, I figured my brand of "we're dog shit, and we always fuck up, oh well, have another beer" was pretty mild.

I may have to resort to just yelling into the literal void.  Like the cellar room in my basement.

23 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

LoL That pleasure has not been mine.

I don't haunt any other team's fan sites, tbh, but I do celebrate the diversity here.

Don't do it.  If CF didn't suck for sports talk, I wouldn't be here.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

56 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In the past, Surly/Shaggy has always been receptive to self deprecating handwringing.  A void where I had no real life connections.  There's something therapeutic about yelling into the void, and then going on with your day as opposed to letting sports control anything other than a couple hours at a time of your life.  It was easy to do it here, as opposed to social media where I look like a jackass to family and friends.  I think most other fanbases would behave similarly given where we're at.  ISU fans badly wanted to win a regular season title, and like many past years, it was in reach for much of the year.  When we fell apart, we crashed.  Compared to what I read on CF, I figured my brand of "we're dog shit, and we always fuck up, oh well, have another beer" was pretty mild.

I may have to resort to just yelling into the literal void.  Like the cellar room in my basement.

It just seems the frequency/intensity of the handwringing has increased dramatically this season. That is my perception, however, and not necessarily fact.

You can post however and as often as you'd like. I'm not a moderator, and I'm not that popular, so my opinion doesn't carry that much weight.

That said, I will most likely roll my eyes and post another GIF the next time I see another "poor me, ISU sucks" post from you. It's the kind of asshole I am.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

I post here, because the off topic boards are fantastic and I live in Austin.  But I do try, even in the Big 12 thread, not to dwell too much on KU or get into prolonged conversations with Jhawk...which we could b/c we often disagree.

Anyway, I think Tech is the only legitimately good team in the league, but all of KU, Iowa State, K-State, and Texas are good enough to get out of the first weekend, then you never know.  Bracket might collapse for you.  Baylor doesn't do anything for me, they'd be the most surprising of the top 6 to make the Sweet 16 to me.  Hell of a coaching job by Drew to drag that group to 10-8 and tournament lock status.

Edit: To break the KU-centric rule I just discussed...I actually really like KU's chances in the tournament even though I don't really like this team.  If they can dodge a first round upset to get the jitters out, they could beat most anybody.  They start 4 freshmen and have been dog shit on the road, but they're done with road games.

Edited by VolenteHawk
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It just seems the frequency/intensity of the handwringing has increased dramatically this season. That is my perception, however, and not necessarily fact.

You can post however and as often as you'd like. I'm not a moderator, and I'm not that popular, so my opinion doesn't carry that much weight.

That said, I will most likely roll my eyes and post another GIF the next time I see another "poor me, ISU sucks" post from you. It's the kind of asshole I am.

It's probably a fact.  This has been a strange year.  Last year we were bad, and we knew we'd bad, and that was fine.  This was a roller coaster of "hey, these guys are alright" to "holy shit, KU's not the great, we might actually win this thing" to last week's WVU game.  I found myself more caught up than past years, and a team that truly was in the "beat anyone/lose to anyone" camp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's probably a fact.  This has been a strange year.  Last year we were bad, and we knew we'd bad, and that was fine.  This was a roller coaster of "hey, these guys are alright" to "holy shit, KU's not the great, we might actually win this thing" to last week's WVU game.  I found myself more caught up than past years, and a team that truly was in the "beat anyone/lose to anyone" camp.

The entire B12 season has been weird..... WVU and Texas have been the most disappointing.

KU would be 3rd....

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is really the only place I know besides Reddit where you can get conference-wide discussion.  And I fucking hate Reddit's lay out.

Pretty much this. And on Reddit the conversation is too dense to really have conversations. It's mostly just people yelling past each other.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Let me get this straight...we can get blown out by KU and finish 16-16 and we are going to the tournament? 

Well the last time Shaka got a shitty team that did not deserve to be there into the tournament they went to the Final Four.

I can't see any scenario where UT gets in with a loss to KU.  St. Mary's already stole a bid and I bet at least 2 more get stolen.  UT would be the worst record to ever get in to the tournament.  I just don't see .500 being a precedent that is set.  I think UT is definitely in with a win against KU and we are probably the best match up you could have hoped for based on UT vs. KU in style and personnel.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I can't see any scenario where UT gets in with a loss to KU.  St. Mary's already stole a bid and I bet at least 2 more get stolen.  UT would be the worst record to ever get in to the tournament.  I just don't see .500 being a precedent that is set.  I think UT is definitely in with a win against KU and we are probably the best match up you could have hoped for based on UT vs. KU in style and personnel.

Yep this is my assessment as well

2 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Apologies in advance for asking something that was probably discussed upthread somewhere, but what was the process used that made KSU the 1 seed and Tech the 2 seed? Was it Tech's home loss to ISU?

"Each team’s record versus the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.  When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tiebreaking procedures), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.  The lone exception to this guideline would be if there are only two tied teams in the group placement and one of the teams won both regular-season games.  In this instance, the tie is deemed broken and comparison of the seed rather than the placement will be utilized."

You and KSU split the season series and had identical records against (3rd place) KU. However, KSU went 2-0 against (4th place) Baylor while you guys went 1-1.

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Paul SabinESPN Analytics 

Highest leverage game of the day is TCU vs Oklahoma State. With a win BPI projects TCU has a 82 pct chance to make the tournament. With a loss, that drops to 5 (!) pct. espn.com/bpi

Are ours out for tomorrow yet?