2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

Watch Kansas fans suddenly acknowledge that they care about the Big 12 tournament (assuming they do something there).

No idea what to expect tonight in Morgantown.  We're either going to get right in a big way, and get the boys recalibrated to make a run over the next few weeks, or we'll seal the deal on this year's implosion.  Don't see much middle ground.  WVU plays hard enough to beat us.  They've beaten better teams there already this year.  The next two games will say a lot about where Prohm is at.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

In honor of this special occasion I present the greatest hits from the Phognet game thread last night.

"I don't care if we miss shots, I'd just be happy if we attempted shots on the offensive end."

"An embarassement of basketball resources from top to bottom, only to look like an average Juco team."

"Don’t post in this forum often. Just wanted to say Fran is a fucktard"

"I’ll be stunned if this team makes it out of the first round. We are exceptionally mediocre."

“'Clank' is a good nickname for Moore. I like it."

"This team doesn’t care. Plus they suck."

"Fran suggesting that we don’t let OU go on another run, and that we cut the lead to 10 instead.

A basketball guru this guy is."

"Self needs to make a decision about Garrett. have good offense. or play Garrett. pick one."

"We have a nasty combination of not being able to shoot or guard."

"Sounds like Popovich is about to hang it up with the Spurs. Kinda hoping Self gets offered the Spurs job by his old buddy RC Buford and takes it. The magical ride at KU is over. NCAA sanctions are sure to follow this abortion of a season. It’s going to get ugly. Probably time to reset."

"Lol at fran saying we need to shoot another 3...what a fucking douche"

"Garrett's profile looks like an Egyptian sarcophagus."

"We are going to flat out suck next year. Maybe Charlie Moore grows two feet. It’s possible"

"You see so much terrible end of half and end of game execution. I think these guys watch a lot of NBA games, and they watch James Harden or somebody take the ball and hold it until they have six seconds left, then make some move off the dribble that results in a made shot at the buzzer. They think that’s how they’re supposed to do it. In college it ends up looking like clowns trying to fuck each other during a fire drill."

Which mid-major team beats us in the 1st round?

"All of them."

"Everybody associated with the team should apologize after this debacle.

Coach Self should pull a Snyder and get out his crimson and blue pen and write a letter to the fans."

"On selection Sunday, there’s going to be a well-coached mid major licking its chops to tear into this paper tiger team in the first or second round."

"Lol. Seriously. Where is that d bag who called me out for calling out ku in Stillwater? Feel better about your life and fandom??"

"I'm eagerly awaiting the post where someone presents the metrics that show Garrett is a great player."

"This broadcast sounds like an obituary, and rightfully so."

Jesus Grimes

"Lol, how many times has this been posted this year?"

How do you play this uninspired in March?

"How do you play this uninspired in any month?"

"Vick only senior, probably not going to be there Sat, would be an interesting message to send to have empty stands at AFH to say this was unacceptable?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jeez that's brutal. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Insert all of you piling on me for being negative, but I expect he doesn’t play again. It’s just what happens.

These last 3 weeks have been a total dumpster fire in comparison to first 2/3rds of the season, and if we were going to pull out of it, Shayok was a necessary component. Hard to see us playing more than 4 more games without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The race for 3rd and 4th place in the league is still in play! Out of all the D1 coaches out there only 10 or so have had ranked teams every year for the last 10 years and the BXII is lucky enough to have TWO of those coaches - Bill Self and Scott Drew. The others are names like Izzo, Boeheim, Coach K, Sean Miller, Calipari et al., so these guys are in pretty good company.

.Now Baylor hasn't been ranked this year so that record is in danger of dying but, maybe, just maybe, a win over the JHawks this Saturday will extend that streak with a last week of the season top 25 ranking.

Rock Choke!

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The fight rumor is all over ISU Twitter. Sounds like a borderline locker room brawl.

Jesus Christ.

Tough guys in the locker room with each other...giant pussies on the court with the other team.  

Done with these twats.

• Like 1

Juggling a roster full of egos isn't easy. I've watched Scott Drew manage it fairly well for a number of years but a year or so ago it blew up on him. He had a good track record of redshirting guys and keeping most happy and they'd stay 5 years. You have a guy sit out a year and he expects to play but then you get a guy who's more talented or a better fit and the feels get hurt. Attitudes change. Al Freeman and Chuck Mitchell both transferred out of the program and iirc Terry Maston was a bit of a crybaby and would check out. It's largely why Drew's got such a young roster this year and had to rebuild rather than just reload. Hope Prohm can figure it out. It's also not uncommon to see a coach clean house. It will be interesting to see how much if at all the roster turns over for ISU and if any of this carries over to next years squad.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Juggling a roster full of egos isn't easy. I've watched Scott Drew manage it fairly well for a number of years but a year or so ago it blew up on him. He had a good track record of redshirting guys and keeping most happy and they'd stay 5 years. You have a guy sit out a year and he expects to play but then you get a guy who's more talented or a better fit and the feels get hurt. Attitudes change. Al Freeman and Chuck Mitchell both transferred out of the program and iirc Terry Maston was a bit of a crybaby and would check out. It's largely why Drew's got such a young roster this year and had to rebuild rather than just reload. Hope Prohm can figure it out. It's also not uncommon to see a coach clean house. It will be interesting to see how much if at all the roster turns over for ISU and if any of this carries over to next years squad.

Yep. Knight had a lot of problems with that early on with Tech, which was hilarious because the team was garbage. The weak weeded themselves out pretty quickly.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, Machinator said:

You realize that you're talking about TCU, right?

I mean, there was a reason Pittsburgh cut bait with him but it's not like TCU can go out and hire someone who's proven to be any better than Dixon. He's a great offensive coach who had them at a top 30-ish level despite injuries, and the roster situation is even worse this year.

He was known as a defensive coach right up until maybe this year or last year at the earliest.  

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This will cheer you up Jhawk....

Kansas probably plays 1st game of B12 Tourney against the Longhorns.....

Jayhawks  #3 seed     Texas  #6 seed

The problem is Texas is probably the worst matchup on paper for us. Could get bounced and end up a low 4 seed. Crazy to think that’s bad for a program but damn. The expectations are insane, even when you know they’re insane. 

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

The problem is Texas is probably the worst matchup on paper for us. Could get bounced and end up a low 4 seed. Crazy to think that’s bad for a program but damn. The expectations are insane, even when you know they’re insane. 

In football, we went 10-3 in 2007 and that was considered a mediocre year by many at the time. Being a blue blood in a sport is a blessing and a curse.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

I'm gonna be pissed off if this bunch of quitters decides to show up and actually make an effort on Saturday when Tech is playing for a conference title. 

Lol. I’d just as soon forfeit than see this game get played

The ISU upheaval like someone else said can cut both ways for Tech. Only theory I have is that the Cyclones were focused to win the Conference (especially after the win in LBK) and one loss became 2, and so on. It’s harder to herd talented college players than people think. 

This is the biggest basketball game of the season, and arguably in the Beard era for Texas Tech. We Techsans (despite numerous examples of clutch and clinic in recent situations) are not going to rest easy. Honestly, I wish I could enjoy this more than I am.

btw, I don’t care if kitty wins or not..A Tech win to get a share or better is validation. 

Fuck Baylor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

The ISU upheaval like someone else said can cut both ways for Tech. Only theory I have is that the Cyclones were focused to win the Conference (especially after the win in LBK) and one loss became 2, and so on. It’s harder to herd talented college players than people think. 

This is the biggest basketball game of the season, and arguably in the Beard era for Texas Tech. We Techsans (despite numerous examples of clutch and clinic in recent situations) are not going to rest easy. Honestly, I wish I could enjoy this more than I am.

btw, I don’t care if kitty wins or not..A Tech win to get a share or better is validation. 

Fuck Baylor. 

Crazy that Texas, Tech and K-State have never won Men's B12 Basketball Tourney.

Texas has won/tied regular season Men's B12 Basketball Championship 3 times; K-State 1 time; Tech none.

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Fuck all of you who bagged on my negativity. This team is an abortion.

It's not that we disagree with your sentiment, it's that this is a Texas board, so we really don't give a shit about ISU enough to be reading about how disappointed you are every third post.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Fuck Baylor. 

Regular season, yes.

Not bigger than a Tournament game.  Damned sure not bigger than Villanova last season.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's not that we disagree with your sentiment, it's that this is a Texas board, so we really don't give a shit about ISU enough to be reading about how disappointed you are every third post.

This will all be over soon enough.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Same for the kansas posters.  

With ISU tanking hard, and it being the last home game for them I am nervous about Tech blowing it and ISU stepping up and playing angry.  So much on the line for Tech, I hope they take care of business and win, but I am not going to breath until that game is over and Tech wins.

With ISU tanking hard, and it being the last home game for them I am nervous about Tech blowing it and ISU stepping up and playing angry.  So much on the line for Tech, I hope they take care of business and win, but I am not going to breath until that game is over and Tech wins.

If these guys were playing cohesive ball, and just getting bad break after bad break, I could see this.

But they clearly don’t want to play at this point. Their body language is horrific, and they’re openly fighting each other. They’re extremely lazy defensively after playing like banshees the first half of conference play.

I’m glad you guys will get a share. Don’t want KSU winning outright.

This ISU team is not a cornered wounded animal fighting for its life. It’s Weekend at Bernie’s.

6 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If these guys were playing cohesive ball, and just getting bad break after bad break, I could see this.

But they clearly don’t want to play at this point. Their body language is horrific, and they’re openly fighting each other. They’re extremely lazy defensively after playing like banshees the first half of conference play.

I’m glad you guys will get a share. Don’t want KSU winning outright.

This ISU team is not a cornered wounded animal fighting for its life. It’s Weekend at Bernie’s.

My guess is that a player fucked another player's girl.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

My guess is that a player fucked another player's girl.

I don't remember who said it, but basically all basketball beefs come down to gambling debts or fucking someone's chick.

EDIT:  Bill Simmons said that

Edited by Al_4_ISU