2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

4 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

As bad as we are, I'm encouraged for the future.  HCMB has our undermanned team playing hard when they have nothing to play for.  

Yeah, I thought you all were done for earlier in the season when you lost those 3 players.  It's been an amazing team to watch this past month.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:25 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Watch Kansas fans suddenly acknowledge that they care about the Big 12 tournament (assuming they do something there).

If winning it paves a Tulsa - KC path (that we can't exploit anyway) then it has some meaning...otherwise, the Phillips 66 Invitational remains simply a very good reason to party.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy that Texas, Tech and K-State have never won Men's B12 Basketball Tourney.

Texas has won/tied regular season Men's B12 Basketball Championship 3 times; K-State 1 time; Tech none.

Meh, when you're playing Kansas or Iowa State it's a road game.  The couple good looks UT has had in the finals were all legitimately great KU teams...you put '08 Texas in any other year and they're probably champs.

19 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Meh, when you're playing Kansas or Iowa State it's a road game.  The couple good looks UT has had in the finals were all legitimately great KU teams...you put '08 Texas in any other year and they're probably champs.

Since realignment, only KU and ISU have won it.  I think that trend ends this year.  KSU fans will pack the house.

If winning it paves a Tulsa - KC path (that we can't exploit anyway) then it has some meaning...otherwise, the Phillips 66 Invitational remains simply a very good reason to party.

It's always been beneficial to our seeding.  This year is a great example.  If we somehow made a run it would be the difference between a 7/8/9 seed and a 4 seed. 

To your last point, sports are simply a very good reason to party.  I think the narrative that it doesn't matter started when Mizzou won it in 2012 after you guys won the regular season, and comes off as KU fans putting it down because they haven't dominated it to the same extent that they did the regular season.  I don't think anyone puts it above the regular season title, but it's far from meaningless.  Conference tournaments have significant impacts in setting the field, and like you said, it's one hell of a party.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Since realignment, only KU and ISU have won it.  I think that trend ends this year.  KSU fans will pack the house.

It's always been beneficial to our seeding.  This year is a great example.  If we somehow made a run it would be the difference between a 7/8/9 seed and a 4 seed. 

To your last point, sports are simply a very good reason to party.  I think the narrative that it doesn't matter started when Mizzou won it in 2012 after you guys won the regular season, and comes off as KU fans putting it down because they haven't dominated it to the same extent that they did the regular season.  I don't think anyone puts it above the regular season title, but it's far from meaningless.  Conference tournaments have significant impacts in setting the field, and like you said, it's one hell of a party.

Its meaningless to KU fans and it should be.  We haven't built our egos on that.  If any KU fan sees winning the tourney title as a better deal than winning the conference regular season then they are an idiot.  Even in our best years, I have only looked at the tourney as extra games knowing that we are battling for a 1 or 2 seed in the real tourney.  If we could outlast the teams we are battling (say its UNC or KU for the last 1 seed) then I care more about lasting 1 more game than UNC than I do about actually winning the tournament.  If we win, we win and its always great to win a game, especially some of the great games the tourney has produced.  The party is just awesome.  I'm coming up to KC next week and will be at the tourney on Thursday afternoon and Friday evening.  I'll be buying drinks.

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Its meaningless to KU fans and it should be.  We haven't built our egos on that.  If any KU fan sees winning the tourney title as a better deal than winning the conference regular season then they are an idiot.  Even in our best years, I have only looked at the tourney as extra games knowing that we are battling for a 1 or 2 seed in the real tourney.  If we could outlast the teams we are battling (say its UNC or KU for the last 1 seed) then I care more about lasting 1 more game than UNC than I do about actually winning the tournament.  If we win, we win and its always great to win a game, especially some of the great games the tourney has produced.  The party is just awesome.  I'm coming up to KC next week and will be at the tourney on Thursday afternoon and Friday evening.  I'll be buying drinks.

There's a lot of middle ground between "better than winning the regular season" and "meaningless".

No one thinks it's better than winning the regular season.  But KU fans spend a lot of time lecturing ISU fans about how meaningless it is.  I've been to ISU/KU games in the Sprint Center, and it's anything but meaningless to those folks, no matter how much they want to push that narrative to chest puff another fan base.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

As bad as we are, I'm encouraged for the future.  HCMB has our undermanned team playing hard when they have nothing to play for.  

He seems like he's setting the table for some badass basketball.  Good Okie Lite hoops is good for the Big XII.

46 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If the money used was dirty or wire fraud was involved. 

Dirty how? Like came from illegal means? Or something else? I'm just wondering how something that has literally been going on since college sports existed suddenly gained the interest of the Feds. 

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Dirty how? Like came from illegal means? Or something else? I'm just wondering how something that has literally been going on since college sports existed suddenly gained the interest of the Feds. 

Yep.  Or taxes weren’t paid on that money.  There’s a million ways to get nailed.  

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

KU historically has the Big 12 title and their NCAA seed locked up before KC. It’s usually an exercise in not getting hurt and getting ready for the real tournament. The Champions Classic, holiday tournaments (especially Maui), the conference tournament, and the Final Four are parties for KU fans. The 1/2 round site and regional are usually uneasy stress fests, because we’re favored with nothing but downside. Those aren’t much fun at all until we’ve gotten through.

And it goes back way further than 2012. For a stretch, Roy’s NCAA success was better in years when we got beat. Many of our fans actually thought there was something to that. Under Self it’s pretty random, but it’s just not a meaningful tournament. Once we make the finals I root for us, because there is no reason not to by then...but I’d rather we lose before that and stay healthy. And it’s institutional, there are no Big 12 tournament banners in Allen.

Again, I think if you dominated it the way you dominate the regular season, you would openly care more.  Definitely not arguing the institutional nature of it.  But it isn't meaningless because you guys "officially" don't care.  It's the only way to guarantee a spot in the Dance for bubble teams, and for most programs it has a very real effect on their seed.

It's rare to see a bad team get hot and win it.  It's almost always a team that's in the Top 4 of their conference, and ranked (when P5 schools are involved).  It's a resume builder, a great party, and it means something.  The "meaning" of sports is purely arbitrary in the first place, anyhow.

Obviously no one wants to see a guy have an injury that keeps him out of the Dance, but how often does that really happen?  ISU has won 5 conference tournaments in my cognizant fan hood, and we've never had to sacrifice player health in the process.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's a lot of middle ground between "better than winning the regular season" and "meaningless".

No one thinks it's better than winning the regular season.  But KU fans spend a lot of time lecturing ISU fans about how meaningless it is.  I've been to ISU/KU games in the Sprint Center, and it's anything but meaningless to those folks, no matter how much they want to push that narrative to chest puff another fan base.

You're 100% right for the most part.  I was talking more about how KU fans shouldn't be talking about how the tourney is more important to us now than the regular season.  If you hear a KU fan try to downplay the regular season then they are an idiot.

17 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

When exactly did paying athletes become a federal crime?

The crime is that allegedly the student athlete does not know his eligibility is being killed.  So adults are brokering deals and bribing people and directing kids without their knowledge, effectively ruining their amateur status based on the rules of the NCAA.  It is alleged that the universities didn't know and that makes it fraud because the universities are spending millions on kids who are not eligible to play.  The whole case is built around the idea that the kids and the universities are unaware this is happening. 

36 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

You're 100% right for the most part.  I was talking more about how KU fans shouldn't be talking about how the tourney is more important to us now than the regular season.  If you hear a KU fan try to downplay the regular season then they are an idiot.

Agreed.

I never meant to say that KU fans would downplay the regular season.  Just that they might quit bagging on the tournament.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

20 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

0-5 in the title game. It got to the point I just didn't bother to watch because I knew the outcome.

Edit: Ok actually 0-6. I had forgotten about 2000-2001.

Edited by Valmy77

Saturday, 3:00 pm, Gallagher-Iba Arena. OSU v. WVU, the Battle for the Bottom. Don't miss it!

Seriously, if we could close out by winning a few games, and maybe even a first round tournament game in the bottom bracket, it would be a lift going into the offseason. Hope Huggy is nice and liquored up.

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

ISU holds the tiebreaker.

Yeah, earlier this week we knew it was all but impossible for us to be anywhere outside the 4/5 game in KC.

11AM on Thursday is a great time slot to keep me from taking extra time out of my day to watch Baylor abuse our lazy asses on the defensive boards, while that plucky white kid goes 9/11 from 3.

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sorry about this Al_4_ISU 

If Horns and Iowa State both end up 9-9 in B12 Conference, who gets the #5 seed for the Big 12 Tourney??

I played around with the Big 12 MBB tournament simulator.  I think Texas is basically locked into the 6 seed.

20 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tech is only favored by 2.5.

Either Vegas knows something regarding Shayok or a possible Tech health issue, or they’re going to take this one on the chin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The home/away records across the conference and college hoops as a whole say the spread is pretty legit.

Guns up for a solid follow through on the regular season for the Red Raiders.  Might as well push that school record for Big XII wins in a season a little higher.