2018-2019 Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

Got my Opening Day tix in a pre-sale yesterday, Cheapest ticket was $90 for the upper deck, and that includes upper deck in the outfield. Jesus. I bought 'em because, well, opening day. And I'm taking my eight-month-old son to his first baseball game! I know that means we'll miss a ton of it, but it will be worth it. No football games 'til he's much older.

• Like 2

I'm so pumped for Opening Day. Going to be very bittersweet since this is the last one. The prices I've seen for my current seats in the new ballpark are probably going to be too much for me to continue full season. I may have to cut down to half season or just cut them out all together.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:58 PM, futureman said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Derek Holland had a lights out start to the season in 2017 when he left Texas. Opposing batting average of .227, averaging 8 Ks per 9, ERA of 2.3, but then went 3-10 and had his ERA balloon up to 6. Perez will probably end up the same way.

5 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Damn, that’s an extremely team friendly deal. The best thing that could happen to this team is for Leclerc to dominate 2019. Trade value would be big!

I think this is a long term thing unless he sucks. Two club options for the 5th and 6ths years a 6 & 6.25M would put him at the lower end of shut down corners right around the time they should be competing for championships again

Some takeaways from that tweet

• Those field level suites will probably be empty most of the year or filled with people disinterested in the game. The days of seeing your average fan on TV are probably over. "The gang goes corporate"
  • Netting that covers nearly the entire foul line? Holy shit.
  • The exterior area that is heavy in metal and brick reminds me a lot of the White Sox spring training stadium and that place is so goddamn hot that even shaded seating is brutal. I can't imagine that area being a hang out spot for fans especially when June begins through mid September

12 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Looks like Jerry World and Minute Maid park had a kid.

best comment on twitter

Spot on. Another new stadium that has zero personality, which is the norm for any NFL stadium built these days. I'll miss the current ballpark. This one looks sterile. 

12 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Some takeaways from that tweet

• Those field level suites will probably be empty most of the year or filled with people disinterested in the game. The days of seeing your average fan on TV are probably over. "The gang goes corporate"
  • Netting that covers nearly the entire foul line? Holy shit.
  • The exterior area that is heavy in metal and brick reminds me a lot of the White Sox spring training stadium and that place is so goddamn hot that even shaded seating is brutal. I can't imagine that area being a hang out spot for fans especially when June begins through mid September

The netting thing is going to be standard across MLB given the recent accidents that have occurred over the last few years. 

Somehow I ended up going to the first ever game at Enron Field and from the very first time I saw it, I thought it sucked. Completely void of any character- just plain. I used to love making fun of it. 

Fast forward to today and the Rangers have made an identical fucking replica of the damn thing. They really missed an opportunity here. The design is miserable. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Somehow I ended up going to the first ever game at Enron Field and from the very first time I saw it, I thought it sucked. Completely void of any character- just plain. I used to love making fun of it. 

Fast forward to today and the Rangers have made an identical fucking replica of the damn thing. They really missed an opportunity here. The design is miserable. 

Is the roof system tech such that it stifles the design of the rest of the park?  Or is this the rangers cheaping out on design costs by recycling much of the design used for Houston, which should be obsolete by now as it’s like 15 years old. 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is the roof system tech such that it stifles the design of the rest of the park?  Or is this the rangers cheaping out on design costs by recycling much of the design used for Houston, which should be obsolete by now as it’s like 15 years old. 

Your guess is as good as mine. I think its probably cheaping out on build costs by using the same construction styles used in every other stadium/strip mall/office complex being designed and built in America right now. It’s like every building that is announced in uptown Dallas right now looks the exact fucking same. Most of the buildings going up here in Austin look exactly the fucking same as well. I suspect its because the design elements are cheap and non-offensive. I dunno. 

But- the feeling you get walking thru the current Ballpark is so much better than the feeling you get walking thru the juice box. Arlington feels authentic and cozy...feels like baseball. Houston feels like it should have a Sbarro and an Old Navy. 

I like the ballpark, and I like Minute Maid. 

But there shouldn’t be another Minute Maid. 

Stadia and ballparks should have their own identity. The ballpark does look like oriole park in some ways, but not in others. 

The last thing we need is another era of cookie cutters like the 70s that produced such greats as veterans stadium, riverfront stadium, and three rivers stadium. None of which are still around. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 10:55 AM, TheFlagship said:

Damn, that’s an extremely team friendly deal. The best thing that could happen to this team is for Leclerc to dominate 2019. Trade value would be big!

The only question now is whether it will be Tommy John surgery or thoracic outlet.

4 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Odor walked three times in three plate appearances yesterday..... including a 9 pitch ab

"He's been talking to me since I got here about looking for my pitch," Odor said. "And I've been telling him I like to hit, not take walks. Now, I'm starting to get what he means. I want to get better. I want to be a better hitter. If I stay with this, I'll be a better hitter."  --Rougned Odor

Thanks for waiting 5 years, dick.

8 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Only problem is he would take away at bats from Willie and we really need to find out if Willie will be good or not.

Having the veteran presence of Choo and Pence could help Willie leaps and bounds in his progression. I've read a few stories this offseason about Willie going through a "transformation" of sorts not only physically, but also mentally. So hopefully he's focused and ready to learn, not mope like the previous 2 years when the opportunities/results weren't there for him.

19 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

Only problem is he would take away at bats from Willie and we really need to find out if Willie will be good or not.

The only problem with that is that he wouldn't get enough playing time. 

DH- Choo

LF - Gallo

CF - DeSheilds

RF - Mazara

Bench - Tocci/Pence

Personally, I would rather see Calhoun and Tocci get everyday reps in the minors and keep Pence as the bench OF. Hopefully, move Choo at the deadline or next winter. 

Also, I believe Calhoun played all his OF in LF last year in the minors, so he wouldn't really be a back up for CF or RF. Ideally, it would best if he went to Nashville and learned a little of RF and CF, while getting everyday AB. 

Edited by Jameslaw121