2018-2019 Rangers Offseason Thread

CowtownHorn

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

This is not your Granddad's or even older brother's artificial surface.  This is something new.  Arizona's Chase Field will be using it this season, so at least we will know what we are in for ahead of time, and maybe we can change the plan if it's completely shitty. 

Heat > indoor baseball >> indoor fucking carpet baseball. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Another has-been added to compete for a rotation spot in Jason Hemmel.  Minor league deal.

The Texas Rangers have lost outfielder John Andreoli on a waiver claim to the San Francisco Giants, the team announced today. Andreoli had been claimed on waivers earlier in January by the Rangers, and was designated for assignment in order to open up a 40 man roster spot for relief pitcher Shawn Kelley.

In addition, the Rangers have signed veteran pitcher Jason Hammel to a minor leauge contract.Hammel, 35, gives the Rangers some rotation depth for the spring, and a potential depth piece at AAA Nashville, should he and the Rangers agree he will stay in the organization if he doesn’t make the major league club.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/2/1/18207318/texas-rangers-sign-hammel-lose-andreoli

I hope to never open one of this writer's articles ever again:

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/2/4/18205453/texas-rangers-name-change

Two, it creates a prevalent yet outdated image. Whenever you say Texas, it calls forth scenes of cattle and the Stockyards. The stadium still plays a slew of yokel pleasing tunes, overdosing the fans on an abundance of country fried “charm.”

It’s not accurate, hasn’t been for years. The Metroplex is one of the most modern areas in the country, not just the state. Portraying the people who live, work, and fan here as horse riding cowpokes is outdated and insulting. A name change would allow for a brand change, the opportunity to update what is now an embarrassingly crude image of Texans in modern times.

Two, it creates a prevalent yet outdated image. Whenever you say Texas, it calls forth scenes of cattle and the Stockyards. The stadium still plays a slew of yokel pleasing tunes, overdosing the fans on an abundance of country fried “charm.”

It’s not accurate, hasn’t been for years. The Metroplex is one of the most modern areas in the country, not just the state. Portraying the people who live, work, and fan here as horse riding cowpokes is outdated and insulting. A name change would allow for a brand change, the opportunity to update what is now an embarrassingly crude image of Texans in modern times.

What a dumb motherfucker
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

I mean, look at this regarded motherfucker.  Fucking wearing a fox on his head and thinking he’s got jokes.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/thesamuelhale?lang=en

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

The date Beltre's number will be retired.

51342233_10161318259990384_7915525925100

I love him more than any other former player I cheered for.  That probably changes when Dirk hangs em up. But I don't know.

Don't overpay for Cliff Lee and instead use that money on AB.  Good job JD.

43 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I love him more than any other former player I cheered for.  That probably changes when Dirk hangs em up. But I don't know.

Don't overpay for Cliff Lee and instead use that money on AB.  Good job JD.

Yep him and Pudge are probably my 2 favorite Rangers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Perhaps in the history of baseball, or at least in my lifetime. There are probably minor league staffs with better pitching.

That'd be pretty bad considering some of the pitiful rotations we've witnessed.  Remember when Ishmael Valdez was our opening day starter?  Some of them rotations that had scrubs like Mark Clark, Dave Burba, Chan Ho Park, ect. were bad.

Woodward is getting a lot of praise so far for his work with the young hitters. I think the players disliked Banny a lot more than we were led to believe. Seemed like he was peak grumpy old man. 

I still believe there is All-Star potential to unlock with Gallo, Maz and Rougie but it’s really a put up or shut up year for all 3. The future would sure look brighter if they had good years...

34 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

Woodward is getting a lot of praise so far for his work with the young hitters. I think the players disliked Banny a lot more than we were led to believe. Seemed like he was peak grumpy old man.

I still believe there is All-Star potential to unlock with Gallo, Maz and Rougie but it’s really a put up or shut up year for all 3. The future would sure look brighter if they had good years...

A friend of a friend that is on the FSSW crew has been telling me this for 2 years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Speaking of opening day starters, who is going to be ours this year?

Assuming no injuries

1) Minor

2) Lynn

3)Miller

4) Volquez

5) Smyly

Smyly and Volquez are interchangeable depending on how they do recovering from TJ and not pitching last year. Also, we only play 4 games in the first 5 day. So expect to see one of Volquez or Smyly (or even Miller, he only pitched 16 innings last year) start on the injury list to give them a little more time

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Assuming no injuries

1) Minor

2) Lynn

3)Miller

4) Volquez

5) Smyly

Smyly and Volquez are interchangeable depending on how they do recovering from TJ and not pitching last year. Also, we only play 4 games in the first 5 day. So expect to see one of Volquez or Smyly (or even Miller, he only pitched 16 innings last year) start on the injury list to give them a little more time

Thanks for that. Are y'all going to opening day? I have been to the last 3. Not too sure if I am going this year. My buddy gets the 10 game season ticket plan and they give him opening day included. We always sit in the All You Can Eat Seats in RF (2nd level).