Major Applewhite Gets into Heated Exchange with DT Ed Oliver

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

This is America, an 18 year old shouldn't be forced to go to college if he doesn't want to, and an NFL organization should have the right to draft the kid if they want to. This cat and mouse game between colleges and players now is just stupid, allow these guys who want to make their money to go make it, no point in forcing them to go to college.

But it's the NFL rule. Same as when NBA used to allow high school players and then changed their mind to the one and done rule. The NFL does not want to draft high school kids and for good reason. They are not ready in any sense coming out of high school. They actually added an extra year to when you could declare for the draft. I remember back in the day you could come out after a few years. Now it's 3.

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am talking more of regular season totals. Then adding onto that number with their conference title game and whatever bowl game.

If you delineate regular season vs entire season, that's fine. I'm just saying its a metric that Mack liked to use that's lost its meaning. Winning at a .910 clip is far greater than winning at .715. Something something Mark Twain...

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

But it's the NFL rule. Same as when NBA used to allow high school players and then changed their mind to the one and done rule. The NFL does not want to draft high school kids and for good reason. They are not ready in any sense coming out of high school. They actually added an extra year to when you could declare for the draft. I remember back in the day you could come out after a few years. Now it's 3.

I know it is an NFL rule, it is a stupid rule. You don't think Leonard Fournette, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Jadeveon Clowney, etc... couldn't have gone straight out of high school. Let the guys who want to go to college go to college, the ones that don't, don't have to. If an NFL team doesn't wants to draft an 18 year old Leonard Fournette they don't have to. It saves the wear and tear on their body that they would get by playing in college and they don't have to play right away. Patrick Mahomes didn't play right away and he played 3 years in college. Take an 18 year old kid who you think is ready, bring him a long slowly, put weight on him his 1st year, and play him when you think he is ready.

You could say a kid who is 18 that thinks he is ready for the NFL, gets much more out of going straight there, learning the system and participating in football activities full time than going to college.

Edited by Texas25
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

You don't think Leonard Fournette, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Jadeveon Clowney, etc... couldn't have gone straight out of high school. 

No, not even remotely.  They all had great careers starting out strong against other "kids".  This is the same stupid "could Alabama beat the Browns" argument.  No.  No they could not.  Those kids....they'd get donkey stomped by grown ass men.  

44 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

This is one of the dumbest things I have read. Major should leave UH, who is in the best G5 conference in one of the most fertile recruiting areas of the country for UTSA or Texas State in Conference USA. Give me a fucking break. UH has been the second best program in Texas behind TCU this decade. Why shouldn’t they have high standards and expect 10 wins with the results they have. Fertitta loves Major and that’s really all that matters. 

since 2008 UH has been ranked 17/20 in 2011 and 8/8 in 2015

Baylor was ranked 12/13 in 2011, 13.13 in 2013, 8/7 in 2014 and 13/13 in 2015

hell aggy was ranked 5/5 in 2012 and 18/18 in 2013 and if you want to bring up the losing seasons at Baylor well UH has had 2 in those 10 seasons while aggy has had none

so higher ranked both seasons with no losing seasons (aggy) or ranked 2X as often with higher rankings (Baylor) it is pretty clear that UH is at best the 4th best program in Texas over the last 10 seasons

not to mention Texas....3/4 in 2008, 2/2 2009, 18/19 2012 with 3 losing seasons

so by what you said for a DECADE Texas has done significantly better in that decade being ranked 50% more and with much higher rankings

so that makes UH the 5th best program in Texas over the last decade with it probably being TCU, Texas, Baylor, aggy, UH

If you delineate regular season vs entire season, that's fine. I'm just saying its a metric that Mack liked to use that's lost its meaning. Winning at a .910 clip is far greater than winning at .715. Something something Mark Twain...
Well Mack was at Texas. Major is at Houston. 2 totally different programs and expectations. We scoffed at 10 wins because Mack could never beat OU, which stopped us from going to national championships.

10 wins consistently at Houston is great for them.

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No, not even remotely.  They all had great careers starting out strong against other "kids".  This is the same stupid "could Alabama beat the Browns" argument.  No.  No they could not.  Those kids....they'd get donkey stomped by grown ass men.  

It isn't even remotely similar to saying Alabama could beat the Browns. There is zero comparison to saying one individual that goes against the norm and that is a freak is ready to go to the NFL, and saying an entire team of college kids could beat an entire team of grown men. Not even remotely similar in the slightest. Guys go to college, get drafted, and don't play right away, no reason a kid out of high school shouldn't be able to do the same thing. People operate under assumptions based on nothing for some reason and you are assuming that if a kid was drafted out of high school he would play on day one. I don't think that would be what would happen at all except in extremely, extremely rare cases. The ones that did go I think would either sit out or play very minor limited roles for a year, learn the system, and get a full year in an NFL S&C program before seeing the field.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

It isn't even remotely similar to saying Alabama could beat the Browns. There is zero comparison to saying one individual that goes against the norm and that is a freak is ready to go to the NFL, and saying an entire team of college kids could beat an entire team of grown men. Not even remotely similar in the slightest. Guys go to college, get drafted, and don't play right away, no reason a kid out of high school shouldn't be able to do the same thing. People operate under assumptions based on nothing for some reason and you are assuming that if a kid was drafted out of high school he would play on day one. I don't think that would be what would happen at all except in extremely, extremely rare cases. The ones that did go I think would either sit out or play very minor limited roles for a year, learn the system, and get a full year in an NFL S&C program before seeing the field.

So maybe something like a minor-league type system where they can grow and develop?  Maybe with multiple "conferences" where teams could play both against each other and outside their geographical region?  You could even offer this guys "scholarship" type opportunities to offset costs.  And they'd play on a different day obviously.  Say starting Thursday, and go through Saturday.  I like it......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So maybe something like a minor-league type system where they can grow and develop?  Maybe with multiple "conferences" where teams could play both against each other and outside their geographical region?  You could even offer this guys "scholarship" type opportunities to offset costs.  And they'd play on a different day obviously.  Say starting Thursday, and go through Saturday.  I like it......

I'm not necessarily supporting Texas25 on this point, but the point of college football is not to be a minor league system for the pro leagues, even though that is what it has morphed into.

39 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

I know it is an NFL rule, it is a stupid rule. You don't think Leonard Fournette, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Jadeveon Clowney, etc... couldn't have gone straight out of high school. Let the guys who want to go to college go to college, the ones that don't, don't have to. If an NFL team doesn't wants to draft an 18 year old Leonard Fournette they don't have to. It saves the wear and tear on their body that they would get by playing in college and they don't have to play right away. Patrick Mahomes didn't play right away and he played 3 years in college. Take an 18 year old kid who you think is ready, bring him a long slowly, put weight on him his 1st year, and play him when you think he is ready.

You could say a kid who is 18 that thinks he is ready for the NFL, gets much more out of going straight there, learning the system and participating in football activities full time than going to college.

No it isn't. It is a massive safety issue. This is one of the most retarded arguments I've seen on here. 

18 year olds are NOT built to play in the NFL. I don't care what they did/do in high school or college. The difference in physical maturity between an 18 year old and a 22 year old is MASSIVE. 

NFL football is incredibly violent - rule changes or not. Goodell is not taking on that liability to see some 19 year old hot shot literally get killed on the field. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

that's a horrible chop block.  i'd sit out the last 4 games too if i were him.  

yes it was. could have been a real issue for him.  I'm sure Major is not happy about him sitting, no coach would be, but the issue is not him sitting.  the issue is there is a rule on the sideline.  All Oliver had to do was follow the rule that was clearly communicated(yes I know it is a rule about wearing a particular jacket on the sideline) but he chose to ignore it.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Nah, sick of watching guys quit on their teams, let the guys who head to college knowing they are going to quit midway through their Junior season go straight out of high school and let NFL organizations and the player decide how they want to handle their development. Pretty simple. There are guys who depending on their birth date would be 19 before the first game of the NFL season rolls around. If they sit out a year they would be 20 by the time they are taking their first snap. You're splitting hairs when saying a 19-20 year old isn't ready but a 21 year old is. Just creating arbitrary barriers at that point.

Nah, sick of watching guys quit on their teams, let the guys who head to college knowing they are going to quit midway through their Junior season go straight out of high school and let NFL organizations and the player decide how they want to handle their development. Pretty simple. There are guys who depending on their birth date would be 19 before the first game of the NFL season rolls around. If they sit out a year they would be 20 by the time they are taking their first snap. You're splitting hairs when saying a 19-20 year old isn't ready but a 21 year old is. Just creating arbitrary barriers at that point.

Let's illustrate this since you don't seem to understand. Here is a video of an 18 year old being hit by another 18 year old: 

Now, instead of BJ Foster, pretend it's Earl Thomas. 

6 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

OK, I'll let Roger Goodell and the owners know.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

The reason the NFL is able to have guys wait at least 3 seasons from high school graduation before being eligible for the draft is that they can legitimately claim that it’s being done for player safety reasons.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Let's illustrate this since you don't seem to understand. Here is a video of an 18 year old being hit by another 18 year old: 

Now, instead of BJ Foster, pretend it's Earl Thomas. 

Again, you're beating a straw man to trying and win an argument. The vast majority of the small group of kids that did decide to go straight out of high school would not play right way. The difference between a 19-20 year old that has sat out a year, played and participated in football activities (like an NFL S&C program) full time, and a 21 year old that has played 2 and 1/2 years of college football is very little.

Not to mention their are stipulations the NFL can put into contracts that don't allow them to play right away but participate in all other team activities, almost like a red shirt. Which I would imagine a lot of organizations wouldn't have a problem with as their is still a ton of value getting them in your organization, letting them learn your system, and transitioning to life as an adult.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The reason the NFL is able to have guys wait at least 3 seasons from high school graduation before being eligible for the draft is that they can legitimately claim that it’s being done for player safety reasons.

It is the one sport who can claim that. No way a 18yr old is ready for the NFL. Maybe a kicker or punter is about it. If you skipped college and went from the speed of the high school game straight to the NFL, they would not survive. I could only imagine what comedy would ensue if an 18yr old went to play QB in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Again, you're beating a straw man to trying and win an argument. The vast majority of the small group of kids that did decide to go straight out of high school would not play right way. The difference between a 19-20 year old that has sat out a year, played and participated in football activities (like an NFL S&C program) full time, and a 21 year old that has played 2 and 1/2 years of college football is very little.

Not to mention their are stipulations the NFL can put into contracts that don't allow them to play right away but participate in all other team activities, almost like a red shirt. Which I would imagine a lot of organizations wouldn't have a problem with as their is still a ton of value getting them in your organization, letting them learn your system, and transitioning to life as an adult.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The same people that think Bama couldn’t beat the Browns are they same ones who thought we couldn’t kick those commies’ asses in the miracle on ice. 

at this point it is hard for the National Fieldgoal League to get any shittier and all of this "pay the college players" and skipping games because they think they will be drafted is making college football shittier so lets move the shittiness further to the NFL and if some of these "ready for the league" players get the shit knocked out of them that is on them and their parent or 7 on 7 mentor handler and the college game will be better for it

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

so lets move the shittiness further to the NFL and if some of these "ready for the league" players get the shit knocked out of them that is on them and their parent or 7 on 7 mentor handler and the college game will be better for it

That requires the NFL to allow these players to enter the league earlier. The NFL doesn't seem to have any interest in doing so.

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

at this point it is hard for the National Fieldgoal League to get any shittier and all of this "pay the college players" and skipping games because they think they will be drafted is making college football shittier so lets move the shittiness further to the NFL and if some of these "ready for the league" players get the shit knocked out of them that is on them and their parent or 7 on 7 mentor handler and the college game will be better for it

None of this shit matters.. The players union and the NFL owners don't want to draft kids out of high school. It's a collective bargaining issue, and one of the issues on which the union and the owners agree. It's never gonna fucking happen. So if everyone would stop spraying stupid diarrhea all over this thread, that would be great. 

• Like 4

It is all fun and games until it hits home, hasn't really effected Texas yet but it will be funny watching the script be flipped when a kid for Texas just walks away right before the Big 12 championship game because he wants to prepare for the draft and doesn't want to get hurt. Going to be a really enjoyable experience and it is doing wonders for college football currently. Malik Jefferson, DeShon Elliot, Michael Dickson, all sat out the Texas Bowl, what happens when we get Nick Bosa'd in the midst of a potential CFP run? That will be really enjoyable.

Give them the choice to leave out of high school and give the NFL the option to draft them. The NFL just like they have a rule not allowing 18 year olds to be drafted out of high school and that they must go to college for 3 years, can just as easily institute a rule that a player out of high school can be drafted but must sit out a year in the name of "player safety".

Edited by Texas25
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Just my opinion on a message board just like yours. I can be a dick about it if you'd like.

Not trying to be a dick, but your opinion is bad.  Not only from the safety standpoint, but because you're also suggesting that NFL organizations operating under a salary cap are going to leap at the opportunity to pay a statistically likely bust to sit around and acclimate themselves for a year.

It's an opinion, but not a good one, and not one you should let outside your head for anyone to hear.

Again, not trying to be a dick.

• Like 1

Just now, Texas25 said:

It is all fun and games until it hits home, hasn't really effected Texas yet but it will be funny watching the script be flipped when a kid for Texas just walks away right before the Big 12 championship game because he wants to prepare for the draft and doesn't want to get hurt. Going to be a really enjoyable experience and it is doing wonders for college football currently. Malik Jefferson, DeShon Elliot, Michael Dickson, all sat out the Texas Bowl, what happens when we get Nick Bosa's in the midst of a potential CFP run? That will be really enjoyable.

Give them the choice to leave out of high school and give the NFL the option to draft them. The NFL just like they have a rule not allowing 18 year olds to be drafted out of high school and that they must go to college for 3 years, can just as easily institute a rule that a player out of high school can be drafted but must sit out a year in the name of "player safety".

You're literally complaining about a thing that hasn't happened. 

But congrats on your paternalistic judgment of the character of a bunch of teenagers, many of whom come from poverty, and who are putting their entire family's financial future and stability in jeopardy every time they take the field for free to make a University hundreds of millions of dollars a year.  

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

You're literally complaining about a thing that hasn't happened. 

But congrats on your paternalistic judgment of the character of a bunch of teenagers, many of whom come from poverty, and who are putting their entire family's financial future and stability in jeopardy every time they take the field for free to make a University hundreds of millions of dollars a year.  

They aren't playing for "free" that is another stupid talking point that is spewed. To each their own. Their are accommodations that university's can make in the form of stipends but that opens up a can of worms and Texas can pay a much more expensive stipend to each athlete than UTSA can, and for Texas it is a chump change. So we are left with this current system, really entertaining just watching guys walk out on their teams, love it. 

College football better hope the NFL never changes that rule to go straight from HS, it'll completely ruin the college game because it'll be a sport devoid of any top talent a lot like CBB has been ruined by the one and done rule and a lot more players deciding to go straight to NBA out of high school starting around late 90s. Before Kobe only Kevin Garnett and a couple others really did it. Kobe kind of kick started that whole exodus. 

The college football model is trash and is completely biased against the players by profiting billions off of them and giving them practically nothing, and not even allowing them to profit off their own name and likeness. That's the real disgrace that needs to be changed. 

If someone came up to any of us and guaranteed millions of dollars with the only stipulation being we cannot get physically injured in the next 6 months we'd all be wrapped in bubble wrap on the couch. Anyone who blames the player for sitting out is an asshole who's blasting someone for doing the same thing they would do in their shoes. 

Major is the leader of that program. He needed to take control and tell Oliver if he's going to play he'll suit up, but if he's going to sit for the draft he won't be with the team. Major had the control but he didn't prevent this issue the way he should have. 

• Like 2

Also - let's please not pretend that college players at major programs (the ones that you are talking about that could potentially go early) are destitute or some shit. 

I mean for fuck's sake... 

But yeah - I'm sure he paid for that chain working part time at the library under work-study. 

5 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Not trying to be a dick, but your opinion is bad.  Not only from the safety standpoint, but because you're also suggesting that NFL organizations operating under a salary cap are going to leap at the opportunity to pay a statistically likely bust to sit around and acclimate themselves for a year.

It's an opinion, but not a good one, and not one you should let outside your head for anyone to hear.

Again, not trying to be a dick.

You aren't, no problem that you don't agree with me, I understand I am in a minority, doesn't bother me. Just though that comment was amusing, when people make comments mocking the very nature of a message board. No shit Roger Goodell doesn't care what I think.

5 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

They aren't playing for "free" that is another stupid talking point that is spewed. To each their own. Their are accommodations that university's can make in the form of stipends but that opens up a can of worms and Texas can pay a much more expensive stipend to each athlete than UTSA can, and for Texas it is a chump change. So we are left with this current system, really entertaining just watching guys walk out on their teams, love it. 

Sure. For those athletes that earn a scholarship but have no chance of turning pro, it's an exceptionally great deal for them. They get a free education and access to a network of job opportunities. I think in general the whole institution of scholarship athletes is a great deal.

But that's not what you're bitching about, is it? You're complaining about players choosing not to play when they think they're going to get drafted high in the NFL draft. That's not the same thing. Those are the players that a hundred thousand fans pay to go see. Those are the sports where the University makes a hundred million dollar profit annually. So I'd argue that those players are not getting their fair market value out of the arrangement.

As far as your "So we are left with this current system, really entertaining just watching guys walk out on their teams, love it". Here's the deal - you are not entitled to shit because you cheer for a college football team or attended the University. No one owes you anything.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

It is all fun and games until it hits home, hasn't really effected Texas yet but it will be funny watching the script be flipped when a kid for Texas just walks away right before the Big 12 championship game because he wants to prepare for the draft and doesn't want to get hurt. Going to be a really enjoyable experience and it is doing wonders for college football currently. Malik Jefferson, DeShon Elliot, Michael Dickson, all sat out the Texas Bowl, what happens when we get Nick Bosa'd in the midst of a potential CFP run? That will be really enjoyable.

Dickson was the MVP of the bowl game. 

Might want to start sitting this one out like Oliver

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Minority of one? I have literally never heard or read this argument outside of your posts here. 

Adrian Peterson is on record of saying he didn't think he needed college football. Nick Bosa was listed at 6'3 250 lbs as a Senior in high school. He is now 6'4 263 lbs and is ready for the NFL apparently. Just arbitrary guidelines. It has been talked about before.

Edited by Texas25

Adrian Peterson is on record of saying he didn't think he needed college football. Nick Bosa was listed at 6'3 250 lbs as a Senior in high school. He is now 6'4 263 lbs and is ready for the NFL apparently. Just arbitrary guidelines. It is been talked about before.

Your argument essentially breaks down to the NFL should retract their current rule prohibiting players from being drafted and institute a rule that allows players to be drafted but requires them to sit for a year.  Why the hell would the NFL institute a rule that requires them to pay more money for a system that results in the players getting less experience?  That's just fucking stupid.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sure. For those athletes that earn a scholarship but have no chance of turning pro, it's an exceptionally great deal for them. They get a free education and access to a network of job opportunities. I think in general the whole institution of scholarship athletes is a great deal.

But that's not what you're bitching about, is it? You're complaining about players choosing not to play when they think they're going to get drafted high in the NFL draft. That's not the same thing. Those are the players that a hundred thousand fans pay to go see. Those are the sports where the University makes a hundred million dollar profit annually. So I'd argue that those players are not getting their fair market value out of the arrangement.

As far as your "So we are left with this current system, really entertaining just watching guys walk out on their teams, love it". Here's the deal - you are not entitled to shit because you cheer for a college football team or attended the University. No one owes you anything.

Didn't say I was entitled to anything , but when this continues and escalates, you're going to see fan attendance continually decline because if the players don't care then why should I and you will have a domino effect. Also when you make the comment that "No one owes you anything" you are playing with fire. Do universities have the right to seek reimbursement on tuition from players who left early and didn't finish a season that semester? Nobody owes anyone anything in life, that is a dangerous tight rope to walk.

20 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Wrong.

more importantly, how many of the people you cited as examples were on the sidelines after they decided to move on? None. If you’re going to focus on your future, great, I wish you the best of luck, thanks for all the contributions to the program, see in the future when you visit during the bye. Don’t unofficially quit on the team but stay on the sidelines as a disruptive force. If you don’t want to be part of the team, you don’t get to participate in the emotional ride. Shit or get off the pot.

Just now, Longhornfan1024 said:

Your argument essentially breaks down to the NFL should retract their current rule prohibiting players from being drafted and institute a rule that allows players to be drafted but requires them to sit for a year.  Why the hell would the NFL institute a rule that requires them to pay more money for a system that results in the players getting less experience?  That's just fucking stupid.  

What were the Chiefs thinking in 2017 drafting Patrick Mahomes with the 11th overall pick and sitting him behind Alex Smith for a year? What a bunch of idiots.

• Fuck You 1

Adrian Peterson is on record of saying he didn't think he needed college football. Nick Bosa was listed at 6'3 250 lbs as a Senior in high school. He is now 6'4 263 lbs and is ready for the NFL apparently. Just arbitrary guidelines. It is been talked about before.

adrian peterson is a dumbass, though.

the thing is, nobody should begrudge these kids taking care of their primary asset: their bodies. even if that chop block didn't injure the kid, it had to be a wake up call that he's one play away from the nfl dream going goodbye.

hell, even if he gets into the nfl, the way the deals are structured fucks the players anyways. there are no guarantees in football.

but even so, if you are going to sit, do so respectfully. major seems like he's trying to keep the team together, but if he was jumping around on the field in warmups, i can imagine that would piss off a coach. again, if you are going to sit, sit respectfully. don't hot dog around during warmups and start conflicts with the coaching staff. if you're going to do that, you'd be off my sideline for good.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

these players are getting a value of several million dollars out of the arrangement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrangEngr said:

Wrong.

more importantly, how many of the people you cited as examples were on the sidelines after they decided to move on? None. If you’re going to focus on your future, great, I wish you the best of luck, thanks for all the contributions to the program, see in the future when you visit during the bye. Don’t unofficially quit on the team but stay on the sidelines as a disruptive force. If you don’t want to be part of the team, you don’t get to participate in the emotional ride. Shit or get off the pot.

I am an idiot for including Michael Dickson, dude was MVP of the bowl game, thanks for calling that out. No idea why I thought he sat out.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Didn't say I was entitled to anything , but when this continues and escalates, you're going to see fan attendance continually decline because if the players don't care then why should I and you will have a domino effect. Also when you make the comment that "No one owes you anything" you are playing with fire. Do universities have the right to seek reimbursement on tuition from players who left early and didn't finish a season that semester? Nobody owes anyone anything in life, that is a dangerous tight rope to walk.

The Universities do not offer four year scholarships. The have the option to renew scholarships on an annual basis. If Universities start guaranteeing four year scholarships then they may have recourse to seek scholarship reimbursement for players that leave early. 

9 minutes ago, po elvis said:

these players are getting a value of several million dollars out of the arrangement.

Several million dollars? Bullshit. According to what study?

Edited by irishtexan

Just now, irishtexan said:

The Universities do not offer four year scholarships. The have the option to renew scholarships on an annual basis. If Universities start guaranteeing four year scholarships then they may have recourse to seek scholarship reimbursement for players that leave early. 

I'm talking even individual seasons. Nick Bosa played two and a half games this year. Can Ohio State seek reimbursement for the fall semester?  No they shouldn't be able to. But just like I'm not entitled to anything neither is any player who plays the game. Pretty empty argument to be making.

24 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

Adrian Peterson is on record of saying he didn't think he needed college football. Nick Bosa was listed at 6'3 250 lbs as a Senior in high school. He is now 6'4 263 lbs and is ready for the NFL apparently. Just arbitrary guidelines. It has been talked about before.

Judging on your post history in this thread - this may come as a surprise to you - but the younger you are the more likely you are to suffer a TBI. The NFL - meanwhile - already has and has had an out of control issue with TBI/concussion/CTE. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3818791/

Adding 18 year olds to the mix would be incomprehensibly stupid for the NFL to do for the single factor that it poses a major health and safety hazard. There is nothing else worth discussing. End of story. 

Next you're going to tell me you think we should give 13 year olds driver's licenses. 

Edited by ztejas

Ed Oliver should not play another down of college football because he will be drafted in the first round no matter what and playing for his team is not worth the risk of blowing his knee out and losing millions. 

Major Applewhite should be pissed that he's sitting out and kind of being an asshole about it because it is bad for the team and it makes Major's job harder. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio