TRAVEL: Points, Miles, Discounts, Tips, Advice & Questions

Spankytoes

13 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

We aren't members.  Not convenient for us given our location 30 min. W of Oak Hill.  I would assume we have to be Costco members, yeah?

Try https://www.carrentals.com/

or https://www.southwest.com/html/specialoffers/car-offers.html?clk=GSUBNAV-OFFERS-CARS

Edited by Spankytoes

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Compact car selected, using all 8 available Rapid Rewards partners, prices vary from $ 323 (Dollar) up to $ 369 (National).  From prior posts, it appears that Hertz has the "whatever is in your aisle" option, but I don't recall if that is only if you're on their corporate program or a Hertz club member, etc.

2 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Nissan Versa or Equivalent, has Hertz @ lowest price ($ 282 total) up to the same high price of $ 369 for National... but without the bonus points (2,400).

So my question here is... for the $ 41.00 difference on the SWA site (higher price) vs. the CarRentals page, is there any big value to that?  We're not frequent fliers & my current SWA acct. has a whopping 2,742 points in it.  The added 2,400 points would come close to doubling that, but I don't know if that's worth the variable.

Help out a schlub, y'all.

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Nissan Versa or Equivalent, has Hertz @ lowest price ($ 282 total) up to the same high price of $ 369 for National... but without the bonus points (2,400).

So my question here is... for the $ 41.00 difference on the SWA site (higher price) vs. the CarRentals page, is there any big value to that?  We're not frequent fliers & my current SWA acct. has a whopping 2,742 points in it.  The added 2,400 points would come close to doubling that, but I don't know if that's worth the variable.

Help out a schlub, y'all.

Depends on whether or not you are traveling somewhere. I regularly fly LGA-DAL for around 6500 points each way, which is a $129 ticket. That would mean your points are worth about $90. If you are paying $41 to obtain them, you’re only getting $50 or so worth of value on a one-way.

In other words, no, it’s not worth it.

You can get all kinds of codes from Retailmenot, but you have to individually search the car companies. Flyertalk also has a rental code section. 

No. It's akin to asking what kind of automobile is best: A car, a truck or an SUV? It depends on your personal needs. I've raked in points from, and have had top tier Elite status from, Radisson, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton and IHG at various stages depending on where I was going and what I needed to accomplish in terms of comfort. Holding 200,000 IHG points and Spire Elite status doesn't do you much good if you need 3 nights in Reykjavik since IHG doesn't have any properties there. Both Radisson and IHG have shit perks for their top tier Elites, so even if you stay at the Intercontinental or Radisson Blu, you won't get lounge access or breakfast like you would with Hilton or Marriott. But, IHG and Radisson points are extremely easy to obtain due to promos and you are almost assured to find one of their brands in 90% of the places you want to go. If you need 3 nights at a Holiday Inn or Park Inn in Berlin, and don't plan on eating breakfast at the hotel anyway, you can earn a free night in 1-2 stays rather easily. Hyatt is the nicest chain, IMO, as even their "budget" properties tend to be either upscale or roomier. But, their presence sucks globally. If you were going to Paris, the Park Hyatt Vendome is an outstanding hotel with an excellent breakfast included for Elites. It's not so great for Rome where Hyatt doesn't have any properties. 

Personally, I'm a Hilton guy first as I've found them to be the most consistent value with good Elite benefits. (Breakfast for 2, consistent upgrades, Resort Fees waived, Executive Lounge access, etc.) But that changes due to my travel habits. If I need 2 rooms, I book the 2X points rate on my Hilton Aspire. If I need 3+ rooms, I book an IHG hotel at the bonus points rate on my IHG card. Why? Because Hilton caps you on 2 rooms for earning points while IHG allows up to 8 rooms. If I absolutely needed the stay to maintain Elite status, I would book 2 rooms normally and a 3rd room at the same hotel through Rocketmiles to get some airline miles on AA or BA. So you have to take your travel habits into consideration as well. If you don't travel for business often, but have a need to book multiple rooms, IHG is a better choice. If you travel to more remote places, Radisson may be the better choice if the hotel qualifies for a MegaPoints promo, which gives you 10,000 points per night per room in addition to your normal earnings. 

There's no "one size fits all" answer.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Flying three different times on SWA in the coming two weeks (El Paso to Cali, Cali to San Antonio, San Antonio to El Paso). Is this Boeing planes being grounded thing going to fuck that up?

The max is only 5% of their 750 plane fleet.  

Mr Toes is right on the hotel thing. 

Best top elite is definitely hyatt, however that comes with a significant tradeoff in earnings and locations. 

I too have a hilton amex (ascend) as well as the ihg card. Spire isn’t really worth shit, but it is better than nothing. Diamond is good, but not as good as it once was. Every program has its listed benefits, but the individual hotel can make a huge difference.

Between hilton and ihg, I can find a property just about anywhere I am going. Some places might not be as close as I would like, but most are. On a rare occasion I need to book away from either chain I just put it on the sapphire reserve. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Between hilton and ihg, I can find a property just about anywhere I am going. Some places might not be as close as I would like, but most are. On a rare occasion I need to book away from either chain I just put it on the sapphire reserve. 

Rome is a great example of that occurring. Last time I went in 2017 with my son and parents, we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Cavalieri, which is an excellent hotel. But, it was necessary to take the provided shuttle each day to get into Central Rome because the hotel was built into the hills to provide a great view. My only other option was the Hilton Garden Inn, which is the mid-level brand, which was closer to Central Rome but enough of a walk to the subway and sites that it didn't make a lick of sense to consider it beyond the expanded dining options. 

On the flip side, Hilton in London is fantastic. If you want to stay by Paddington for easy LHR access, you can. Mayfair for luxury, it's there. Kensington for a Central location, there's 3 choices in comfort. (The Doubletree is my favorite) 

What I like most about IHG is the low redemption values. If I want a Holiday Inn in Munich, it's 35,000 points regardless if I book it in January or during Oktoberfest. Hilton will spike points on you from 50,000 per night to 70,000 per night during Oktoberfest and only marginally offers 1,000 point savings from time to time. However, Hilton allows you to get your 5th night for free on a points redemption. So if I want to go to Jamaica, I can get a room at the Jewel Dunn All Inclusive for 5 nights for the "cost" of 4 and my resort fee waived due to my Diamond status. Neither are really great for Cash + Points value, albeit, IHG holds the edge. 

Rome is certainly a great example. There are options, but nothing really close in. I looked at that as an option for last December, but couldn’t make the numbers work. Not to mention internal flights weren’t on an ideal schedule for the rest of the trip. It ended up good anyway, even got to “protest” for a couple of blocks the last day in Paris. 

35 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Rome is certainly a great example. There are options, but nothing really close in. I looked at that as an option for last December, but couldn’t make the numbers work. Not to mention internal flights weren’t on an ideal schedule for the rest of the trip. It ended up good anyway, even got to “protest” for a couple of blocks the last day in Paris. 

Speaking of Paris...

Wife made me book a trip as punishment for the guys trip to Oktoberfest/Amsterdam/Brussels. Going for 5 nights over Labor Day weekend. However, I imposed the condition that we go out to Omaha Beach, which has been on my list of places to see.

Our house to JFK: $6.50 on LIRR/AirTrain, JFK-CDG in J Class: $11.20 (Probably do the Flagship Lounge instead on Centurion as it's post-security), Uber from CDG - Intercontinental Le Grand: $45.00; 3 nights at the Intercontinental Le Grand: 210,000 IHG points, 2 day Car rental (Full Size)- 1,800 Hertz points; Rental Car Fuel: $50.00, 2 nights at the Ibis Bayeux Port en Bessin: 22,352 Citi TY points; CDG-JFK in Coach: $220.00 (Airfare sale), Uber to house: $35.00

Total Cost: $367.70 or $183.85 per person for Airfare, transport, lodging and Car Rental/fuel + cost of food. (Breakfast included for 3 days)

Edited by Spankytoes
  • Like 3

I know this has been covered, but can I get some cliff's notes on how to maximize the CSR benefits?  I signed up for CSP in the last couple of months and have received my 50K point bonus.  In the last couple of pages I saw a couple of references to maximizing value by also having a companion card like the Chase ink business, what's the deal there?

My goal is to pay for a chunk (or hopefully all) of my airfare for 2 to France/Spain in June of 2020

TIA

Are we talking the Reserve or Preferred? There's a huge difference there, as well as minor strategy differences.

First things first, what is your target? You mention airfare, but what class? Business? Economy? Business class going east, premium economy coming back?

Next, what is your 5/24 situation? Chase will not allow you to acquire new cards if you have opened 5 or more accounts in the past 24 months. With having opened the card you mentioned above just recently, that's 1/24 at the bare minimum.

IMO, if you're looking to MAX your UR points, there are 4 cards to target. You already have a sapphire (whichever one), so that leaves 3 more. I'll put those in the order you should apply for them. (Note: application spacing is basing on you being at no more than 3/24. If you're over that, then we can adjust once that is known.)

Ink Business Preferred (safe to apply now)
Typically has an 80k welcome bonus, $95/AF, 3x points on travel, cable, phone, internet, shipping, and advertising with a $150k/yr cap on 3x earnings.

Freedom (apply 45 days after Ink application is approved)
$150 welcome bonus, $0 AF, 5% back in combined purchases with a $1500 cap per quarter. Now it says $150 for a bonus, but those are actually paid in UR points (15k). If redeemed for cash back, then it's a $150 value at 1¢/pt. This one you have to pay extreme attention to because of the rotating categories. They'll tell you what they will be for each quarter, but it's your job to make sure you use it wisely.

Freedom Unlimited (apply 60 days after Freedom is approved)
$150 welcome bonus (in UR points, just like the Freedom) and sometimes up to $250 (25k UR points). $0 AF,  and 1.5% straight cash back.

Now for the basic strategy. You already have 50k points from the sapphire. The ink bonus puts you at 130k, the Freedom tops that to 145k, and then the Freedom Unlimited tops that to 160k. This is just from your welcome bonuses, before spending anything more than the minimum spend requirement.

Now here is where you want to pay attention. You have to make damn sure you use the right card in the right place, or you'll lose on maximizing your points.

Dining: Sapphire
Travel: Sapphire (ONLY if you have the Reserve), or Ink
Random Categories: Freedom (Be sure to know what/where those quarterly categories are.)
Anything not covered above: Freedom Unlimited

The hardest part is keeping track of the rotating categories for the Freedom. It can be easy to get confused right around switch time, but it's not too bad. Just use caution, and write it down if you need to. I wrap a post-it around my card, and keep it in my wallet for quick reference. There's also a note on my phone, and one on each of my computers. You can always look them up in the chase app as well.

The Freedom will let you buy up to $1500 of shit across all the bonus categories for each quarter, which nets you 7500 points. Everything else comes down to your spending habits, and which bonus category you can hit. If you dine out or travel a lot, then make sure you get the 3x for that. Doesn't matter how much, but use it everywhere. (Gas does NOT count as travel, so that's a Freedom Unlimited thing, unless the bonus for Freedom is Gas.) Some general things that DO code as travel: Hotels, airfare, parking, trains, uber, cabs, etc. Always use the sapphire (if CSR) or Ink for travel. Dining, always use the sapphire. Even a happy hour drink from sonic, use it. Every point counts.

Here's a few tips for dealing with Chase. You absolutely have to play nice with them, and can't really game the system any more. They have become flat out assholes about that shit, and will shut you down and take your points before you can even think to ask for them to use lube. For the Freedom, you want to put a little bit (not a lot, but maybe $100 a quarter) of non-bonus spend on it. Same for the ink and sapphire. Next thing is don't try to avoid the annual fee by cancelling a card early. They may claw back your welcome bonus. So if you get a chase card with an annual fee, expect to keep it 2 years before doing something else. (This last one is a hair cautious, but better safe than sorry with Chase.) If you do decide to cancel a card with an annual fee, wait for the fee to hit your statement, and then call in and downgrade to a no AF card in that product family. From a Sapphire it's down to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, or down to an Ink Business Cash (Freedom equivalent on business side) or Ink Business Unlimited (Freedom Unlimited equivalent).

Chase can be very, very good. They are the most sought after cards at the top of every list. However, you have to play in their sandbox and follow their rules. Best not to do anything that could jeopardize that relationship, and they've been known to blackball people for a very long time.

When applying for Chase cards, you have to play by their 5/24 rule. They also have application rules beyond that. Those are typically no more than 2 applications within 30 days, and no more than 3 within 90 days, and you don't want to cut it too close and risk wasting a pull. (This changed last summer, as did the time between sapphire product bonuses.) I spaced them out a bit conservatively above, but it will keep you safe and within their rules for sure.

With initial relationships, Chase is typically not willing to allot you more than 50% of your income in combined credit lines. This may or may not be an issue for some people, so just throwing it out there. They also like to give out higher credit lines when they feel safe in doing so. Most of the time those aren't needed, and can hinder applications for other Chase cards. For example, they gave me an initial line of $30k on my IHG card. Wait, what? I didn't need, nor want, that much on that particular card. I sent Chase a secure message and had them back it down to $10k. You don't necessarily have to do that, but if you're at the 50% limit, or a new card would put you over that, then they may decline your application instead of auto approving it. If this happens, call their reconsideration line and ask if you can allocate credit line from another card so that you may be approved for the new one. If that was all that was holding it up, they will approve you without a problem. If you were denied for another reason, just walk away and keep what you have and work with that.

Then there is the whole redemption side of things, but we can get into that later. The short of it is that most times you're going to transfer out to a partner and not use the Chase portal.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BTW said:

I know this has been covered, but can I get some cliff's notes on how to maximize the CSR benefits?  I signed up for CSP in the last couple of months and have received my 50K point bonus.  In the last couple of pages I saw a couple of references to maximizing value by also having a companion card like the Chase ink business, what's the deal there?

My goal is to pay for a chunk (or hopefully all) of my airfare for 2 to France/Spain in June of 2020

TIA

What thunder said above. I'm a Chase points whore. That's all I really focus on, in addition to the SWA companion pass trick, see my previous posts for running that scam (just earned my CP good to 1/1/21!). But I would add really maximizing your spends. Knowing the categories above of course, but really gaming the system. For instance:

0. NEVER EVER SPEND CASH.

1. do you have a spouse? Run the same credit card plays for them. Double points. NEVER EVER make them an authorized user, that counts as a 5/24. I've been doing this for years. I can barely get below 250k Chase points using just my account and we travel as much as our schedule permits. My wife has never used a Chase point in her life. I have no idea how much she even has. Each of you start applying for cards. Stagger apps if needed so you can hit the spends in a timely manner. But if you have a wife, that's not usually a problem.

2. Freedom for example. $1500 per quarter, 5x max. If you don't get to the $1,500 normally, manufacture it. If gas this quarter, buy gas gift cards from Valero. If groceries or drug stores or Lowes or Sams, buy gift cards for other things you want to keep at 5x, like gas. And so on. Never fail to spend your $1,500/quarter. 

3. Ink, my favorite. I own my own business. The OG ink card is 5x at office supplies. I have 2! Used to have 3!! Same for current Ink Business Cash credit card. Anything I can buy at Office Depot, I do. Office supplies but other things you could get elsewhere, like stamps. And I do them thru the Chase shopping portal and have them delivered to me for free, and that makes the bonus 7x!! And my favorite, they sell gift cards. You're a man, and you're 40, you need some shit at Lowe's? Of course you do. 5x. Amazon? 5x. Wife need some shit for the kids from JC Penney or Kohls? 5x. And so on. Go thru the CSP whenever possible and the points are even more...

You have to manufacture points by the multipliers.

4. transfer all your points to the CSR for a bit more redemption value, but I always check transfer partners first, transferring to Hyatt may be cheaper that booking thru Chase UR.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the information.  This is a great resource.  Here is a quick rundown of my situation:

I've had the Chase SWA Plus Business card for nearly a decade and have earned a companion pass with my spending for the last 6 or so years.  This has been my "primary" card and I used to put pretty much everything on it (to make sure I got to the companion bonus).

I also have carried what is now the Hilton Ascend card for about 7 years and used it when staying at Hilton properties and when I met my Companion Pass threshold each year.

The card I recently got is the Chase Sapphire Preferred (sorry for the confusion), but Thunder was very clear when that card should be used.  Since I got it, I have put every single meal I've eaten on it (including fast food) and will continue to do so.

I think I'm up to 2/24 at the moment.  Between the CSP and the fact that I applied for a chase card for one of my business entities and due to a technicality (they didn't like that the mailing address and physical address were different), I never finished that application, but I know they ran my credit so I assume that counts toward my 5/24.  That leaves me 3/24.  Also, I didn't think about doing my wife's cards separate, so I will do that from now on.  I did the CSP as a join application, but will make sure to use her remaining 4/24 wisely. 

Lastly, on the travel, the goal is to get Business or First class going East and Business/Premium Economy coming West, being what every I can afford.

Follow up questions:

Can I get multiple small business cards?  I have a couple more business entities that don't have case cards attached to them, so could I get multiple 80k bonuses?

Since my wife it co-owner of several of the business entities, do you guys know if they will flag it if I have her separately apply for a business card for the same entities for which I have a business card?

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

4. transfer all your points to the CSR for a bit more redemption value, but I always check transfer partners first, transferring to Hyatt may be cheaper that booking thru Chase UR.

The Chase portal almost always tries to scam me for international flights. Chase wants $100k to fly to Frankfurt in June unless I take two connections. Transfer to United and it's 30k miles.

52 minutes ago, BTW said:

Wow, thanks for all the information.  This is a great resource.  Here is a quick rundown of my situation:

I've had the Chase SWA Plus Business card for nearly a decade and have earned a companion pass with my spending for the last 6 or so years.  This has been my "primary" card and I used to put pretty much everything on it (to make sure I got to the companion bonus).

I also have carried what is now the Hilton Ascend card for about 7 years and used it when staying at Hilton properties and when I met my Companion Pass threshold each year.

The card I recently got is the Chase Sapphire Preferred (sorry for the confusion), but Thunder was very clear when that card should be used.  Since I got it, I have put every single meal I've eaten on it (including fast food) and will continue to do so.

I think I'm up to 2/24 at the moment.  Between the CSP and the fact that I applied for a chase card for one of my business entities and due to a technicality (they didn't like that the mailing address and physical address were different), I never finished that application, but I know they ran my credit so I assume that counts toward my 5/24.  That leaves me 3/24.  Also, I didn't think about doing my wife's cards separate, so I will do that from now on.  I did the CSP as a join application, but will make sure to use her remaining 4/24 wisely. 

Lastly, on the travel, the goal is to get Business or First class going East and Business/Premium Economy coming West, being what every I can afford.

Follow up questions:

Can I get multiple small business cards?  I have a couple more business entities that don't have case cards attached to them, so could I get multiple 80k bonuses?

Since my wife it co-owner of several of the business entities, do you guys know if they will flag it if I have her separately apply for a business card for the same entities for which I have a business card?

5/24 is number of cards opened in the last 24 months, not by application or partial application. Say you applied for an Amex Platinum card and were declined for whatever reason, that will not count on your 5/24. Now you go to Lowe's or some place and can't pass up their "free money" promotion and open a store card, it will count. Open an account and close it 13 months later, but it's only been 18 months since you initially opened it? It counts, even though it's closed. It's a bit tricky to get the hang of initially, but it's really pretty simple. A quick check though something like credit karma and you can count anything up.

Now here's the fun twist to all that shit. Notice above that I put the business app first? It was intentional. Why? Most (not ALL, but most) business cards don't get reported to your personal credit report (unless you fuck up.) Cap1 and a couple other outliers DO report business cards to your personal profile, so be careful before applying and google first. However, chase doesn't even count their own cards. However, it will count on the number of apps in X number of months, so be careful there. One further twist though: Chase will check your 5/24 status when opening a business account, even though business cards don't count against that. This is why you want to do your business apps first. This is because you're already under 5/24, and new business accounts will not count once they are opened. So if you want to do multiple business accounts, do those first, and do them no sooner than 50 days from the last approval.

Definitely do separate apps for the wife, vice a joint app. Just remember that you can still use her income in your totals, if you need to beef it up a tick.

Speaking of which, be careful with authorized users. Whether you are on her card, or she is on yours. Chase will initially see an AU account as their own and include that in the 5/24 score. So for example, if your wife added you to two cards which put you right at 5/24 instead of 3/24, they would deny your application. A call into the reconsideration line to explain that 2 of those accounts are AU and you're not responsible for them will clear it up. A pain, but it happens for some.

For redemption purposes, you're most likely going to transfer to one of the partners vice using the chase portal. Especially at the 1.25 rate with the preferred. Even with the Reserve, it's usually rare that it works out better than a transfer. Of course that's assuming availability, etc. Chase switched over to having Expedia provide the results in the travel portal last fall. I'm not impressed. Seems the prices went up from the old one. Either way, the portal is still based on the ticket price while a redemption through a partner is not.

Avoid using BA going across the pond. They have massive surcharges on their award tickets. Internal flights within Europe and such are fine, and typically a good value. Now, that doesn't mean Avios can't be used TATL, as you could transfer to a BA account, and then move them to an Iberia account. Iberia doesn't have the fuel surcharge. If going to Spain, I would look at that option first. If going to France, you could look at Lufthansa (via united) or maybe Delta via Air France. There are options, but definitely do your homework to narrow down your airline options and what suits your need. (I'll never fly United, for example. Fuck em in the mouth.) If you want to shoot for an F redemption, definitely go for Lufthansa.

For business cards, you can certainly hold one per business entity. Just remember that even though the accounts will not count against 5/24 once opened, you still must be under 5/24 to apply.

With regards to your last question, I'm not sure if your wife could apply for a card for the same entity as what you already have. Spanky may be able to better answer that question. However, nothing is stopping her from opening at least one business account on her own as a start-up sole proprietor. You can google that one, but let's just say it's pretty easy to qualify as a business.

With business cards, just be careful on what you buy with them. There are certain purchases which Chase may question about whether or not they are for legitimate business purposes. It's rare, but does happen and has been reported on FT many times. (Granted, a lot of the people there are typically pushing the envelope on spend.)

2 hours ago, mycox said:

The Chase portal almost always tries to scam me for international flights. Chase wants $100k to fly to Frankfurt in June unless I take two connections. Transfer to United and it's 30k miles.

I wouldn't say so much that it's an outright scam, but it certainly isn't always a good value or use of points. The difference is that in the portal, points are a fixed value. That value is deducted from the going rate for a particular rate or fare. So if a fare is high, it takes more points. When you transfer to a partner, you can easily get more value per point than the 1.5¢ (CSR) value through the Chase portal.

Take a round trip for DFW-LHR on AA. Typically $4k, or higher close in for J. That comes out to about 267k points though the Chase portal, or 115k through AA (MileSAAver) or even 220k for AAnytime. Even at the top end of the award chart, you still come out almost 50k points to the better. Similar for other airlines as well, give or take.

ETA: You can find good deal through the portal on occasion though. I did last fall for a one-way from CDG-MAN. I think this was more because it priced as 2 awards through BA, since it was 2 segments. Either way it was a little cheaper through Chase in number of points. Not a lot, but points are points.

Edited by thunderlounge

The Chase portal is absolutely a scam.

If you look at hotels, flights, etc. and don't purchase, the price is higher the next time. Every time. I've had the page time-out and had to log in again and the prices were higher. There is no doubt in my mind this occurs, I've checked it just for sport on itineraries I don't intend to make. So check your partners first, the the portal, and be prepared to book if in that rare case it is lower. The thing I use it for mostly is rental cars. Every so often a hotel.

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

The Chase portal is absolutely a scam.

If you look at hotels, flights, etc. and don't purchase, the price is higher the next time. Every time. I've had the page time-out and had to log in again and the prices were higher. There is no doubt in my mind this occurs, I've checked it just for sport on itineraries I don't intend to make. So check your partners first, the the portal, and be prepared to book if in that rare case it is lower. The thing I use it for mostly is rental cars. Every so often a hotel.

Never had that happen. Old or new. Then again I’m overly cautious using any booking site and use a private window. While they “could” track all that shit by login, I don’t think it’s worth the space to do it, so most just use cookies. 

So, had my thumb up my ass the past few years on maximizing my points and want to change that.  Currently have the SWA bottom-of-the-food-chain $69 AF and Chase Sapphire (not Preferred, not Reserve, but the poors-no-AF version).  

Was looking at upgrading to CSR, but with our spending habits, the CapOne Venture looks more enticing.  Venture is 2x on all purchases vs CSR 3x on dining/travel only.  Plus, I could take advantage of the signup bonus with Venture, no bonus available for us for simply upgrading from CS to CSR.  It does look like CSR has more flexibility on transferring/maximizing with various programs.

Thoughts?  Other options I should consider?  I see a lot of CSR love here, but do not see much feedback on Venture, didn't know what people's experiences were with it?  I do know that Chase customer service has been great.  I had a CapOne card several years ago and don't really recall any issues with them.  Thanks in advance.

The real question comes down to two things. First, would you spend enough on travel/dining to make the CSR worth having the 3x. If yes, then the next question is how long have you had the plain sapphire, did you get a points bonus when you signed up for it, and if so was that bonus received more than 48 months ago?

If the CSR would be worth it for the dining and travel at 3x, then the only thing holding you back is that generic sapphire. Going out on a limb, I'd guess it's more than 4 years old, and no bonus when you signed up.

Now the only kicker is if you had a Reserve or Preferred, and downgraded to that plain sapphire. If so, then you have to meet the 48 month wait from the last time you received a sapphire welcome bonus. For the continuing discussion, I'll assume that doesn't apply and you can move forward. Pay attention to the words in bold type below, as these will be key when talking to Chase.

1) Do a product change from your sapphire to a Freedom Unlimited. (See above for generic explanations between the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.) By doing a product change you won't have a hard pull, you keep the same credit line, and you also keep the entire account history. This is good stuff all around.

2) Wait 2 weeks, maybe even 3, and apply for the CSR straight out. That gives plenty of time for the internal systems at Chase to update that you hold the FU, and not a sapphire product. (Since you can't hold more than one sapphire product at a time.) Typically it's only 4 or 5 days for those updates to happen, but always better to be safe than sorry.

You can do this all by secure message from your account on the Chase site. You can also call, which may be quicker. Just remember this key phrase, "Hello, I would like to do a product change and downgrade my Sapphire card (ending in XXXX) to a Freedom Unlimited."

Now then, your strategy from there becomes based on your goals, and your 5/24 status.

But to maximize your points from there, follow what I suggested above, skipping the cards you already have. (So Ink Business Preferred, wait, then get a Freedom.)

That will put 4 UR earning cards in your wallet, maximizing what points you can.

Once you have Chase squared up on those, if any of the co-branded cards are of value to you, then you can fill up any remaining 5/24 slots with those. The real key here is to GO SLOW. Chase is a fickle mistress, and she can be a real cunt if you try to coax her too quick.

Once you are set with Chase, then you could look at something like a Venture, but ONLY if their travel partners line up with the ones you would transfer out to from Chase. If not, then maybe something from AMEX would better line up instead.

The real "trick" is figuring out which partners are of value/use to you, and aligning the cards to stack points towards those carriers. I say carriers as a hotel redemption/transfer won't typically provide the value with UR points as airlines do. If you want hotel points, get a co-branded hotel card from Chase and/or Amex. For the hotel cards, just be aware that typically outside of hotel transactions, the points on the card aren't great. One exception to that is the Hilton Amex cards. For example, the Ascend ($95AF) has 6x on gas/groceries. The Aspire ($450AF) instead gets 7x on dining, and flights booked through Amex Travel. The IHG card with Chase also gives a bonus for gas/groceries, but it's only 2x. For the Hyatt and Marriott cards, I couldn't say. But just shop careful. I have a Hilton and the IHG card. Between the two, I can pretty much find a place to stay most anywhere. On the rare occasion that things are so podunk as fuck, then I grab what I can at 3x on the CSR and say fuck it.

• Like 1

Lots of good info, thanks!  Back of the envelope calculation shows about $500 additional rewards each year just by changing cards before even factoring in savings by transferring miles to partners or using the UR portal to maximize value. 

You are correct in your assumptions that it has been several years since opening the regular sapphire (>48 mos) and we did not downgrade from CSR.  And I believe we only have one card opened in the past 24 mos (puts us at 1/24 now).  We're not hotel loyal people, as a lot of time we do airbnb.  Air is mostly SWA, but will be in the market late this year for a Euro airfare.  Couple of follow ups: 

1) After we do the product change and downgrade from sapphire to FU, then wait a couple weeks to get off the books with sapphire, we are then eligible for CSR bonus points, correct?

2) Pros and cons of shelling out additional $75 to have wife as an AU on CSR?  

3) Would a product change from the ghetto SWA to priority SWA count toward 5/24, I'm guessing no?  Of course, if we go with CSR, there's more value using it instead of SWA, so thoughts on even keeping that one going forward?  

4) Also, just figured out my wife got a Ink Business Cash card for her business, she thinks it was about 2 years ago.  From your post upthread, looks like we should be using that for cable, phone, internet, shipping, so we can link that up to bundle the points into our UR?  

Thanks again for your help and patience.  

I just got a miles and more card offer aka Lufthansa.  20,000 pts with first purchase and another 40,000 spending bonus with $5k in 3 months.   I am in the Chase penalty box until September and will go down to 3/24 by Oct so this shouldn't affect me.   Anyone have any experience with using Lufthansa miles?

My plan is to pick up a United explorer card with hopefully a 50,000 bonus.

In the insert in the cc app they included using the miles and more points for destinations in the US, Carribean, South America, Hawaii etc.  I assume that means I'd use the M&M site to book flights on United right?   

Edited by midtown

On 3/25/2019 at 9:32 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Lots of good info, thanks!  Back of the envelope calculation shows about $500 additional rewards each year just by changing cards before even factoring in savings by transferring miles to partners or using the UR portal to maximize value. 

You are correct in your assumptions that it has been several years since opening the regular sapphire (>48 mos) and we did not downgrade from CSR.  And I believe we only have one card opened in the past 24 mos (puts us at 1/24 now).  We're not hotel loyal people, as a lot of time we do airbnb.  Air is mostly SWA, but will be in the market late this year for a Euro airfare.  Couple of follow ups: 

1) After we do the product change and downgrade from sapphire to FU, then wait a couple weeks to get off the books with sapphire, we are then eligible for CSR bonus points, correct?

2) Pros and cons of shelling out additional $75 to have wife as an AU on CSR?  

3) Would a product change from the ghetto SWA to priority SWA count toward 5/24, I'm guessing no?  Of course, if we go with CSR, there's more value using it instead of SWA, so thoughts on even keeping that one going forward?  

4) Also, just figured out my wife got a Ink Business Cash card for her business, she thinks it was about 2 years ago.  From your post upthread, looks like we should be using that for cable, phone, internet, shipping, so we can link that up to bundle the points into our UR?  

Thanks again for your help and patience.  

I kept meaning to get back to answer you, but been stupid busy. 

1) Yes. You would be eligible for the CSR bonus. 

2) whether it is worth it or not is up to you. No extra bonus for it though.

3) nope. A product change does not count, as it is still the same overall account.

4) I referenced the business ink preferred. The cash one is a little different.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 2:05 PM, thunderlounge said:

1) Do a product change from your sapphire to a Freedom Unlimited. (See above for generic explanations between the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.) By doing a product change you won't have a hard pull, you keep the same credit line, and you also keep the entire account history. This is good stuff all around.

2) Wait 2 weeks, maybe even 3, and apply for the CSR straight out. That gives plenty of time for the internal systems at Chase to update that you hold the FU, and not a sapphire product. (Since you can't hold more than one sapphire product at a time.) Typically it's only 4 or 5 days for those updates to happen, but always better to be safe than sorry.

You can do this all by secure message from your account on the Chase site. You can also call, which may be quicker. Just remember this key phrase, "Hello, I would like to do a product change and downgrade my Sapphire card (ending in XXXX) to a Freedom Unlimited."

Do you get the bonus points for doing a product change if it's been more than 2 years since you got any bonus points?  I've had a CSP for years but now want to upgrade it with a CSR as well as add a FU (especially for the 80K signup points).  I don't have 2-3 weeks to wait for a CS replacement... 

Do I apply and get the CSP first and then ask to downgrade my existing CSP to a FU? Do I need to apply for both?  Can I get the 50K for applying for the CSR and the 80K for applying for the FU?  (I've got no worries with the 5/24 rule...)

1 hour ago, Grimas said:

Do you get the bonus points for doing a product change if it's been more than 2 years since you got any bonus points?  I've had a CSP for years but now want to upgrade it with a CSR as well as add a FU (especially for the 80K signup points).  I don't have 2-3 weeks to wait for a CS replacement... 

Do I apply and get the CSP first and then ask to downgrade my existing CSP to a FU? Do I need to apply for both?  Can I get the 50K for applying for the CSR and the 80K for applying for the FU?  (I've got no worries with the 5/24 rule...)

I believe it is 4 yrs for Sapphire bonuses now.  But I have all the same questions as you as I plan to do the same when the time comes.  Rules may change again but I have about 9 months before doing this. (upgrade to CSR, get bonus and keep all existing CSR points)

1 hour ago, PantsTent said:

I believe it is 4 yrs for Sapphire bonuses now.  But I have all the same questions as you as I plan to do the same when the time comes.  Rules may change again but I have about 9 months before doing this. (upgrade to CSR, get bonus and keep all existing CSR points)

From what I see, the bonuses are allowed after 24 months...

15 hours ago, Grimas said:

You cannot receive a welcome bonus for any Sapphire card if you have received any Sapphire bonus in the past 48 months. For other Chase cards it varies. But we're talking CSR or CSP here. If someone got a CSR say on May 1st of 2017, met the spend requirement in the first month and the points posted on May 27th, they could not get another Sapphire bonus until at least June of 2021. The 48 month window goes from when the points post, not when the account was opened. So in theory it could be up to 52 months since the account was opened if someone took 90 days to meet the spend, and then it took a cycle for the points to post.

You typically will NOT get a bonus when doing a product change. On occasion you may get an upgrade offer, which has a bonus attached to that. But those examples are rare, and I'm not sure I've seen those with Chase to begin with.

You absolutely do not want to apply for a sapphire product when you already hold one. They will reject your application, and not even blink.

The FU does NOT have an 80k bonus point attached to it, it's $150 (which is 15k UR points.)

You want to follow the original information. Downgrade the CSP to a FU, wait and then apply. That is the quickest way to get it accomplished and end right. You can wait a week between the downgrade and the new app for the CSR, but I would wait 2 just to be safe. There are reports of it only taking 4 days for the downgrade to propagate through the Chase internal system, but I wouldn't personally risk it.

If you cancel your current CSP you will be 8-9 weeks away from having both cards, as it takes about 30 days or a little better for all of the internal Chase systems to sync that you closed that account. Then you would have to apply for one card, wait another 30+ days and apply for the second.

So a short summary of what you need to do, and the fastest way to get it done is:

1) Do a product change on your CSP and change it to a Freedom Unlimited.

2) Wait at least a week, 10-14 days would be better.

3) Apply for CSR.

That's it, you're done on that route for a hot second.

By doing the above, you save 6-7 weeks, keep the old account history, only need 1 hard pull, and don't risk running afoul of anything weird.

When you downgrade your current CSP to a FU, one important benefit is you keep the entire account history. It just becomes a FU instead of a CSP. So you wait a week, then apply for the CSR. It also doesn't add a hard pull, which is another plus.

Just remember that in addition to 5/24,  Chase also has a 2/30 and 3/90 rule as well.

Edited by thunderlounge
  • Like 3

Thanks! 

Does that 48 month wait keep you from getting the 80K in points if I were to apply for an Ink card (different product)? (I confused the points in the email above and said incorrectly you could get them with a FU card). I was thinking to first get the Ink so i can get the 3x on travel (and the points) and then do your steps above the product change to the FU from the CSP...  If i can't get the 80K points for the Ink, i won't be worth the hard pull.

Also, if my wife is on my cards, does each application count as 2 pulls or one?

The Business Ink Preferred is not a Sapphire product. It is not included under the 48 month Sapphire bonus window. 

So yes, if you’re also getting a business card then get that first. I would also do the product change as well. Don’t hold me to it, but when you talk to Chase to do that, I think you can still use your old card in the interim while they send the new one. 

If you want your cards expedited, call in to apply, and ask them up front. 

If they need a reason, tell them you’re travelling soon.

What do you mean that your wife is on the cards? Is she an AU? If so, then it’s only 1 pull. If a joint account, they will pull each of your files.

I can’t recall the steps off hand, but you’ll have to combine user accounts/access between your new business card and your personal cards. IIRC it’s add personal to business, but not 100% sure on that. It’s been a while. 

We have a CSR (I am primary, spouse is AU).   We previously had a CSP (primary plus AU).  I also previously had a business Ink.  I can't remember when we had these cards and all of this is very interesting but also confusing.    Can I call Chase and ask about a card and find out if either one of us is eligible for the sign on bonuses before we apply?  We use the the Chase Rewards for one nice vacation a year plus rental cars, so it's nice.  Most of our spend is on AA cards right now, but am considering the Bonvoy card with the nice signup bonus now.

Maybe? You can ask, but I’m not sure they would be able to answer sufficiently. 

You should be able to see your cards (open and closed) through credit karma. If you currently have a CSR, and got the bonus for it, you won’t bave had it long enough to qualify for another bonus. They changed the time from 24 to 48 months last summer, right before people Would have started becoming eligible under the 24mo language. So looking at when you opened an account, add 4 months, and that should tell you. So if you opened the account on May 1 of 2016, the soonest you would be able to get another SAPPHIRE bonus (for either sapphire card) would be June of 2020, but better to wait until September of 2020 to be safe. (I’m saying add 4 months because if you met the spend requirement in month 3 and it posted on that statement, then when those points posted is your time reference.)

Note that the Sapphire cards (Preferred and Reserve) are the only ones (as of today) that have the 48 month language. Thus it only applies when dealing with applying for those cards.

Ink cards, specifically the Ink Business Preferred, aren’t factored into that. Neither are either of the Freedom flavors, although they all earn UR points.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:13 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Thanks, @Spankytoes .  I don't have the info saved, but back 2+ years ago on our last trip, someone gave me the code for the employee pricing .  I didn't do any price comparisons & simply went on the assumption it was the better deal to use.  I think that was from Enterprise.

Might've been me. I found a better code, actually. 

Spoiler

Budget discount code (BCD): A161400 .  Bell Canada employee discount. Cannot be used with coupons. Alternatively: Budget Friends and Family BCD: U112000 can be used with coupon codes. I got the absolute best price from the Bell Canada code though. Went from like $2XX to $3X.

11 hours ago, KYHorn said:

...Stuff...

I found the old code; had entered a contact in my phone from the last go (who woulda thunk to look up "Budget" in my address book?).

The old code still worked & the cost was $ 23.++ less than the code listed in your post above.

I had issues with their website, however - wouldn't process the transaction.  I called customer service & after 22+ minutes of holding & back & forth ("Max", customer service guy: "We hab issues where our com-uters are updating, so I will set up payment for the rental counter and reduce the price by $ 20 for your inconvenience.").

"Jetta or similar" for $ 252.21 after all deductions, fees, etc. on a rental pickup 02 April @ 2300 with the return on 07 Apr @ 1530.

The internment is on Thursday 04 April & we are supposed to be @ Arlington National by 1415; reception @ Fort Meyer afterwards.  There will be a Caisson & I am curious if this will be The Old Guard or an Air Force Honor Guard.  I think I may walk behind the Caisson with my son & see if Mrs. Rox will drive the rental (cars cannot be left anywhere on route).

Thanks for your assistance on this; same to you, @Spankytoes.

• Like 1