Top Chef: Kentucky

spystud13

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I get that.  I love 95% of what I'd find at an East Texas church dinner.  But quite a bit of what I saw on the show wouldn't appeal to me - frog legs, bean soup, the thing the girl served in the mason jar, banana croquette with peanut butter, etc 

Agree with you on that -- the food itself (other than a few items) didn't seem to be anything I'd really want.

• Like 1

They dinged that one guy for unripe raspberries, which is bs.  If you are going to make do a dessert challenge in the middle of the night, at least have good ingredients for them to use.  I know he didn't have to use them, but providing bad ingredients is a big fuckup for a show like Top Chef.

Edited by kevwun

53 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He wasn't so douchey before he won it the 2nd time around.  I used to like him quite a bit, but the neurotic likeable version of Richard no longer seems to exist.

Agree 100%. Not that I can blame him for taking advantage of the fame but it seems to have changed him. 

things aren't looking good for hot southern chick's team.  should have known when she bragged about what a great team it was.  looks like asian chick dropped the ball on front of the house and still won't get her ice cream ready.  black dude is imploding.  this is just what i'm gathering by the first episode, for all i know they knock the shit out of the park.  i don't like restaurant wars being this early or with three restaurants.  i hear tom saying this is the worst restaurant wars ever but it's 100% on bravo.  stupid idea.

11 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Throwaway episode, make that shit 90 minutes. 

I normally agree but knew after the quickfire it was going to have to be spread over two episodes. It sucks for last night's episode but pretty sure next week will make up for it. 

All three teams have made MASSIVE errors that you just don't do in restaurant wars. And all of those chefs have watched the show before they should know better. All three of the teams FOH are going to be shit shows which will of course fuck the kitchens. It's going to be a blood bath and after hearing Tom basically say that at judge's table next week should be really great. 

That said it's pretty fucking shitty that they were still painting 30 minutes before they were set to open. 

The FOH chef should always do a simple but good dish, nothing spectacular just something that you can pump out in your sleep, is easy to prep, and make to order. They should help the other chefs with prep and then give themselves a good 2 hours setting up the dinning room and training the FOH staff. You can obviously go home if you fuck up but it's also the easiest job during service if you have everyone prepared.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

One of the line cooks should exit. 

why would you say that? the food might come out okay, and that's all they are on the hook for.  the front of house looks like chaos at all three places.  i think that should be the first team member to exit.  asian chick reminds me of what old people say about multitasking - if you do two things at once, you do both of them halfass.  she seems to have fucked up both her responsibilities.  even if the ice cream does turn out, the name of her dessert is "chocolate".  wtf?  and then pompadour dude rights an entire fucking tome for a service manual, knowing the staff is there for 5-minute standup orders only.  no one has time to read a manual.  never been done before.  what was he thinking?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Again, Bravo editing. There was an incredible effort by many to not want to be executive or FOH. I hope the pussies aren’t rewarded. 

We shall see. 

Yeah, normally whomever they give a little screen time or back story in the first 5 minutes of the show is who goes home. 

Obviously without seeing anything in the next episode the main candidates to get the ax based only on last night's edit are-

Kentucky girl who's running the FOH on the 3rd team

Asian (FOH)

overconfident douche with glasses (FOH)

pablo

quiet Executive chef

dude freaking out at Asian girl for touching the tickets

Blonde

All that said even if blonde serves a shitty dish there is no way she should go home, as if it wasn't for her at least half trainning the FOH they would have been even more fucked than I assume they already are. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

33 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

All that said even if blonde serves a shitty dish there is no way she should go home, as if it wasn't for her at least half trainning the FOH they would have been even more fucked than I assume they already are. 

agreed.  she might have stepped in and saved the day in fact.  would not sit well if she goes home.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Where do they get these servers?  They should have SOME experience.

Agree. I understand instructing the staff on certain things, like how to describe the food, etc., but telling them how to be a human is a bit much. Past seasons, the staff for the most part didn’t require this much instruction on how to serve 

On 12/28/2018 at 10:13 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Where do they get these servers?  They should have SOME experience.

I would guess they all have some experience. But it's not as easy as many think. I am sure they all know how to take a drink order, a dinner order, remove plates, refill water, etc. but in the real world actual service and the specific way that you are to take an order, seat positions, table numbers, etc. and exactly how a chef or manager wants service to run can be worlds apart. 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:48 AM, thrillhammer said:

things aren't looking good for hot southern chick's team.  should have known when she bragged about what a great team it was.  looks like asian chick dropped the ball on front of the house and still won't get her ice cream ready.  black dude is imploding.  this is just what i'm gathering by the first episode, for all i know they knock the shit out of the park.  i don't like restaurant wars being this early or with three restaurants.  i hear tom saying this is the worst restaurant wars ever but it's 100% on bravo.  stupid idea.

I assume the "nothing is ready on time/things aren't ready to go/lets give them waitstaff who have never waited before" is some kind of test? or did the tables, etc not ready on time happen in prior seasons and I have just forgotten?