Top Chef: Kentucky

spystud13

13 hours ago, spystud13 said:

That guest judge was cool, he needs to become permanent. 

Agreed, I'm guessing friends with Graham Elliot since they are both Chicago guys 

And sorry I am not a chef and have never made (or had) matzo ball soup and I even knew you can put soda water in any batter to lighten it up. 

But kudos to Sara for having the balls to make a common dish good enough to make it to the finals. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think he's douchey enough to be friends with Graham Elliott. 

Ha, fair enough. Full disclosure I have a soft spot for Graham. One of the best meals I have had in my life was his tasting menu at his now closed restaurant in Chicago about 7 or 8 years ago.  

55 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed, I'm guessing friends with Graham Elliot since they are both Chicago guys 

And sorry I am not a chef and have never made (or had) matzo ball soup and I even knew you can put soda water in any batter to lighten it up. 

But kudos to Sara for having the balls to make a common dish good enough to make it to the finals. 

no shit. ballsy move.  must have been some phenomenal matzo ball soup.  for tom, who said he makes it every weekend for his wife, to heap that kind of praise on it, it had to be excellent.  and her mom said she needs to make that same soup every passover.  must have been impressive.  she's hitting her stride at the right time. 

I really thought it was gonna be Eric, but glad he made it through.  I definitely think they use past performance at this stage in the game, regardless of what they claim.  Anyone's game at this point and I'm happy with all 3 finalists.  Really cool to see the past two seasons where there hasn't been a "villain".

On 3/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, spystud13 said:

Has anyone here ever actually tried durian? 

Yeah, I've had it.  It was kind of creamy but I didn't really like the taste.  It only starts to smell bad when it rots though.  It's weird the contestants were playing that up so much.  Those ripe ones that they were cutting open shouldn't have smelled bad.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah, I've had it.  It was kind of creamy but I didn't really like the taste.  It only starts to smell bad when it rots though.  It's weird the contestants were playing that up so much.  Those ripe ones that they were cutting open shouldn't have smelled bad.

Interesting.  Andrew Zimmern says it's the only food he can't eat because of the smell.  

12 hours ago, WBT said:

I have had it fresh in Singapore and it does smell bad.

I'm glad that Kelsey won but I would have been happy with Eric too and I would have liked to see his other dishes.  Kelsey's cornbread and buttermilk brought back memories of my grandfather crumbling up cornbread in a glass of milk (regular milk not buttermilk).  I hadn't thought about that in a long time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spystud13 said:

They sure fooled us. 

I don't know if we were watching the same episode. Aside from the Crab course Kelsey knocked it out of the park on the other 3 based on the table discussion. The judges all had problems (yes minor ones) with Sara's dishes aside from the Beef dish.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Kelsey was going to win based on what they showed. 

Happy for her she seems to really know her shit and puts out great food. I'm guessing her per plate catering rates are going to have a slight increase now.....

Very happy with the result.   From the beginning, at just about every challenge Kelsey put out the dish I would most like to eat.  And, slowly I recognized that not only was it good, soulful cooking, it was pretty damn sophisticated too.  Plus, she seemed like a good person who knew how to throw a good party.  I'd do a tasting menu at her restaurant tomorrow.

• Like 1