Top Chef: Kentucky

spystud13

On 2/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, pepper brooks said:

I would defend the box waffle mix.  HOnestly, it's just flour with the baking powder and baking soda already mixed in for you.  Is it REALLY that different if you buy flour, baking soda and baking power separately and mix them yourself to make "homemade waffles"?  Really?  That was a non-issue if we are being honest here.  It's not like she bought frozen waffles.  Her issue wasn't that she bought flour, baking soda and baking powder pre-mixed, the issue was she didn't cook the waffles properly.  Of course, to me, that is a way lesser sin than cooking the inferior fried chicken.  

i don't have a problem with it either.  tom, and the gourmet schtick, have a bug up their ass, and it's pure snobbery.  i did find it ironic that the girl that threw sarah under the bus for using it, was almost eliminated this week for using jarred salsa.  that's fucking funny.  meanwhile sarah was in the top this week, while she was on the bottom.  major flip.  

Eddie goes home for making a great plate of food (somewhat fitting considering he had the only Ali fight that was a loss).

As for LCK (winner who returns is revealed)...

Spoiler

Eddie goes home for making a great plate of food. 

I would have loved to have seen what he could have done the rest of the way, but it shows when you don't have an emotional connection to your dishes.  I'm not only surprised that Eddie got eliminated, but also that they did not make us wait until next week to find out who was back in the main competition.  I was pulling for Eddie, so we'll see who fills that void the rest of the way.  Right now, it feels like "anyone but Sara."

Edited by idigTexas
My dish was spoiled.

Usually when you get to this point in the season unless someone totally drops the ball you can go home with any little mistake or even if your dish was fine but not anything spectacular. 

As for who wins I would be fine with anyone but Sara as well. Based on the previews next week it looks like multiple chefs have an "oh shit moment" and don't serve great food. 

Fairly certain whoever wins would be considered in the lower half/third of all the winners though. 

I like Kelsey & Adrienne, but how many winners would you rate them above? 

Hosea still has to be dead-ass last. 

Edited by spystud13
Spelled with an H.

35 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Fairly certain whoever wins would be considered in the lower half/third of all the winners though. 

I like Kelsey & Adrienne, but how many winners would you rate them above? 

Hosea still has to be dead-ass last. 

Speaking of, I would love for them to do another All Star season with as many past winners or top 3 chefs they could get. It's been 8 years since the last one. 

44 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Speaking of, I would love for them to do another All Star season with as many past winners or top 3 chefs they could get. It's been 8 years since the last one. 

I've been thinking the same thing, but the last All-Stars did not feature any previous Top Chefs.  Would love to see an actual competition with just winners.  I can't imagine it ever happening.  Too much to lose.  

Edited by idigTexas

I want another Top Chef Masters. Easily one of the best seasons. All the Chefs were incredibly talented and no one gave a fuck about losing or being petty. They were having fun or just enjoying a vacation from work, but still cooking amazing food and it showed. The two old grey hairs were always drinking wine and were hilarious. Wish they would bring that back 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 3:52 PM, kevwun said:

Yeah, that camaraderie aspect is what makes The Great British Baking Show so good.

The past two seasons of Top Chef (Denver and Kentucky) seem to have been much better about this than other seasons.  I think seeing so many chefs act like dicks on TV has made the newer chefs realize they don't want to be that guy/girl.  

As for GBBS, my wife binged it so I only caught some of it in the background, but Noel fucking slays me.  He's also Old Gregg, if y'all know what that is.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, idigTexas said:

Eddie goes home for making a great plate of food (somewhat fitting considering he had the only Ali fight that was a loss).

As for LCK (winner who returns is revealed)...

Reveal hidden contents

Eddie goes home for making a great plate of food. 

I would have loved to have seen what he could have done the rest of the way, but it shows when you don't have an emotional connection to your dishes.  I'm not only surprised that Eddie got eliminated, but also that they did not make us wait until next week to find out who was back in the main competition.  I was pulling for Eddie, so we'll see who fills that void the rest of the way.  Right now, it feels like "anyone but Sara."

Did they have to use HV Ranch again in this one? 

19 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Macao will be interesting. None of these chefs have been doing much Asian food. Could be a shit show.

justin was the only one with an asian background and he gone.  sad to see him go.  i was certain that adrienne and sarah were among the weakest chefs for most of this season.  their timing has been impeccable on coming through right at the time they needed to.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

justin was the only one with an asian background and he gone.  sad to see him go.  i was certain that adrienne and sarah were among the weakest chefs for most of this season.  their timing has been impeccable on coming through right at the time they needed to.

Yep.  Justin would have been at home in Macao.  Adrienne and Sara have actually been heading in opposite directions.  Adrienne was consistently decent for most of the season, but has slumped the past couple of weeks, while Sara has stepped up her game, winning or being up for the Elimination Challenge win in 4 of the last 5 weeks.  I'm hoping it is just a case of getting challenges that suit her, and that she will revert to early season form in China.

Based on my rudimentary scoring system, Eric is the odds on favorite.  Adrienne is the only remaining chef without a an Elimination Challenge win, though Sara just won her first.  Eric is the only chef who has never been considered for elimination.  And of course, Michelle is the only one who has been eliminated. 

ECH     ECW    QFW    ECL    EL    Total
Adrienne         4          0           1         -4       0         1
Eric                  5          3           1          0       0         9
Kelsey             3          1           0         -3       0         1
Michelle          1          1           1         -3      -1        -1
Sara                 5          1           2         -4       0         4

Elimination Challenge High      ECH    +1                
Elimination Challenge Win       ECW    +1                
Quickfire Win                              QFW    +1                
Elimination Challenge Low        ECL    -1                
Eliminated                                       EL    -1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

DC and Boston were weak as hell.  This is somewhere in the middle I think.

I hadn’t really thought about the season compared to others until now.  I have watched every season, every episode.  Some of the early years were weak (I retrospect) because they had some really weak chefs in the mix.

This season seems to have a lot of play-to-the-middle/don’t take chances chefs, which unfortunately seems to be the pathway to get to the finals in some years. I know Tom has complained to the chefs about this in past seasons, but haven’t seem him doing so this year when it looks like that is what they have been doing.  Maybe the finals will bring out more from the remaining chefs.

22 hours ago, Deej said:

I still dislike that they did all of Texas in one season. After watching shows like Ugly Delicious, Houston would be a great city for a full season of Top Chef.

I honestly think the TExas season was the worst.  The over the top "Texas" stereotype instance of every episode was nauseating.  The cast was relatively weak, and most of the places and backdrops they had were pretty uninspiring.  

On 2/24/2019 at 1:42 PM, Biff Tannen said:

In terms of strongest seasons, I go Las Vegas and Denver, in that order.  All-Stars doesn't count.

Las Vegas was completely stacked.  Both Voltaggios alone would put it up there and then add Kevin and Jen Carroll.  Kevin probably wins just about any other season.  I'm surprised he hasn't been back, but he's probably busy kicking ass and making great food.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, idigTexas said:

I agree that the Texas season was full of cringe-worthy stereotypes, but I'm from Texas.  I imagine people from other featured locations have had similar reactions during their seasons. 

I liked how they did Denver.  But going to RMNP in April after a snowstorm was pretty funny.

I was worried for Eric as well during the initial comments at the event, but after hearing what was said at tribal, I knew it was going to be Adrienne.  I'm pulling for Eric, but would be fine with Michele or Kelsey, as long as they earn it.  Still patiently waiting for Sara to fuck up enough to go home. 

7 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I was worried for Eric as well during the initial comments at the event, but after hearing what was said at tribal, I knew it was going to be Adrienne.  I'm pulling for Eric, but would be fine with Michele or Kelsey, as long as they earn it.  Still patiently waiting for Sara to fuck up enough to go home. 

I think it's between Eric and Kelsey. And that is only based on their edits this season. I would be happy if either of them won.