Cops Lie

Horn of Gabriel

Not that there was any doubt at this point, but: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/st-louis-officers-undercover-assault/index.html

The Thin Blue Line is really real.  I think more and more Americans are waking up to the fact that the cops aren't your friend, and you should actively work to minimize any interactions with them.  When seconds count, the police are minutes away, at best.  More likely, they'll be there the next morning to take your report and do paperwork.  Today in the U.S. police are revenue generation first (tickets, legalized stealing via civil asset forfeiture), respect mah authoritah! second, and public safety a distant third.

What makes it worse is that the "good" cops don't weed out the bad.  At best they passively ignore them or even enable them to thrive.  As a result, people trust the police less, the cops feel that and it makes them turtle up and talk about how they "fear for their life," and the spiral continues.

I don't know the solution to the death spiral we're currently in.  But I do know that if I were on a jury and the cop got up on the stand to testify, I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt one iota because of the uniform or badge - and I believe that many are in a similar place.  Big change from a generation or two ago.

• Like 5

Chicago cop’s testimony of a Laquan coverup brings out an ugly side of policing

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/dora-fontaine-laquan-mcdonald-chicago-police-shooting-coverup-trial-laura-kubiak/

I felt sorry for Chicago police officer Dora Fontaine.

There she was in the courtroom, squaring off against three Chicago police officers on trial for conspiring to cover up the police  shooting of Laquan McDonald in 2014.

David March, Thomas Gaffney and Joseph Walsh, all current or former Chicago cops, are accused of falsifying police reports to make it appear the shooting was justified.

It would have been easier for Fontaine to go along to get along. After all, what did she have to gain by speaking up when her colleagues were willing to let the false narrative stand?

Certainly not respect.

During her testimony, March’s defense lawyer, James McKay, tried his best to make Fontaine look like a lazy cop...

On 11/30/2018 at 11:30 AM, Horn of Gabriel said:

I don't know the solution to the death spiral we're currently in.  But I do know that if I were on a jury and the cop got up on the stand to testify, I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt one iota because of the uniform or badge - and I believe that many are in a similar place.  Big change from a generation or two ago.

Guarding the proverbial henhouse has always been a choice assignment for those looking to take advantage of the hens. I personally doubt the police are any more or less honest now than in generations past. Technology and social media just make it easier for the dumb ones to fuck up and get caught.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

https://www.kxan.com/bargaining-the-badge

Palermo later explained, under interrogation by his own department, that he was only trying to "educate" Alpha on the "dangerousness" of walking through the scene. But, video shows Palermo said nothing to 13 other people walking safely along Alpha's same path. As the department dug further into the incident and Palermo's history of arrests, they found a pattern of him filing resisting arrest charges and the suspects being hurt during those arrests.

Alpha was charged with public intoxication, resisting arrest and obstruction of justice—a felony. Court records show prosecutors dropped all charges against Alpha within a week of her arrest.

Hays County indicted Palermo on a charge of aggravated assault by a public servant, accusing him of slamming Alpha's face into the pavement. The first-degree felony could carry up to 99 years in prison, but Palermo was never taken to trial, nor was he sentenced to a day in jail.

Alexis_Alpha_arrest_video_thumbnails.jpg

San Marcos Officer James Palermo was investigated and charged with a felony after slamming Alexis Alpha during an arrest. (Hays County District Attorney's Office)

Brian Erskine, a Hays County prosecutor at the time, offered Palermo a plea bargain: no jail, deferred adjudication, 10 years' probation and the permanent surrender of his peace officer license — meaning he would be barred from working in Texas law enforcement forever.

Permanently revoking the officer's badge was a critical part of the deal.

"That bargaining chip is a huge piece," Erskine said about the peace officer license. "It says you can no longer be that person. You will no longer be an authoritative person in a position to ever cause somebody harm like that again."

In Texas, except in limited circumstances, an officer must be convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanors to be eligible for license revocation.

the quotes below represents everything wrong with cops.  fuck them.

"By and large police officers are just good, decent, honest people trying to do what is increasingly an impossible job. Sometimes they are going to fail because they are human," said Kevin Lawrence, executive director of the Texas Municipal Police Association, which represents more than 28,000 officers throughout the state. "We've gotten to a point where we expect perfection from these officers and when they come up short we want to criminalize their failures. I'm sorry, but failing, in and of itself, is not a crime."

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

"By and large police officers are just good, decent, honest people trying to do what is increasingly an impossible job. Sometimes they are going to fail because they are human," said Kevin Lawrence, executive director of the Texas Municipal Police Association, which represents more than 28,000 officers throughout the state. "We've gotten to a point where we expect perfection from these officers and when they come up short we want to criminalize their failures. I'm sorry, but failing, in and of itself, is not a crime."seth macfarlane spit take GIF

I mean, I know the expectation is that I don't shoot and kill people who cut me off in traffic.  But traffic is stressful, and I just want to make it home safe to my family.  So sometimes, I come up short on that expectation, and people want to criminalize my failure to refrain from gunning down that guy in the Jeep who cut me off, but I'm sorry, failing, in and of itself, is not a crime.

Ladies and gentlemen, that is why you must find Brisketexan "not guilty" of all charges.

The difference is, for cops, with our moutbreather population, that defense will work.

Mistakes happen.  But assaulting people, deliberately lying to wreck people's lives because he can, and choosing to be a fucking asshole are not mistakes.  Those are choices of a dickhead who knows he probably will not get punished because he's a protected class. 

The carte blanche defending of any and all police misconduct shit has to stop.  Start holding some fucking accountability within the armed gang hiding behind a badge.

Edited by crash_davis

holy shit.  "he's got a gun!"  when the motherfucker cop didn't see anything resembling a gun.  that's the standard shout out in case they want to start shooting.  that's the get out of jail card for any situation.

"you failed to comply with a lawful order.  you failed to leave the area, and then you come back."

10 seconds later.

"you never left the parking lot."

so which is it fuckstick?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/btoiql/cop_yells_gun_when_he_clearly_didnt_see_a_gun/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Mistakes happen.  But assaulting people, deliberately lying to wreck people's lives because he can, and choosing to be a fucking asshole are not mistakes.  Those are choices of a dickhead who knows he probably will not get punished because he's a protected class. 

The carte blanche defending of any and all police misconduct shit has to stop.  Start holding some fucking accountability within the armed gang hiding behind a badge.

Dude, he just failed like everybody does sometimes

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

holy shit.  "he's got a gun!"  when the motherfucker cop didn't see anything resembling a gun.  that's the standard shout out in case they want to start shooting.  that's the get out of jail card for any situation.

"you failed to comply with a lawful order.  you failed to leave the area, and then you come back."

10 seconds later.

"you never left the parking lot."

so which is it fuckstick?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/btoiql/cop_yells_gun_when_he_clearly_didnt_see_a_gun/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Yep saw that earlier today. That was fucking scary, the dude handled it like a boss though. 

35 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yep saw that earlier today. That was fucking scary, the dude handled it like a boss though. 

The most dangerous gang in this country isn't the gang that will shoot your ass.

It's the gang that will shoot your ass and know that they'll get away with it.

• Like 3

Not all cops are bad, of course, but the best thing for the public to remember in the back of their mind is that the police are NOT necessarily there to help you.

If you ever get arrested, do what the cops do: no poly, no statement, no waiver.

DO NOT SAY ANYTHING. As the Miranda warning says, "anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you." Nothing you say will be used FOR you. 

• Like 2

All cops are bad. 

Because the supposed “good” cops don’t expose the lies of their brethren who are bad. 

Make the change to where police pensions are sources of settlements and you’ll see a miraculous change in police behavior  

On 5/28/2019 at 1:17 PM, crash_davis said:

"By and large police officers are just good, decent, honest people trying to do what is increasingly an impossible job. Sometimes they are going to fail because they are human," said Kevin Lawrence, executive director of the Texas Municipal Police Association, which represents more than 28,000 officers throughout the state. "We've gotten to a point where we expect perfection from these officers and when they come up short we want to criminalize their failures. I'm sorry, but failing, in and of itself, is not a crime."

This is probably what bothers me the most about cops. Never has anyone been so quick to play the victim. "Trying to do an impossible job" is a bullshit excuse. They know what they signed up for, and I'd be willing to bet a lot signed on for the chance at that very reason. And then, you want to act like all, "gee golly, what was I supposed to do?" The fuck outta here. I feel as sorry for you as I do for someone who decides to try crack. Yeah you might not end up Tyrone Biggums but the stats aren't on your side. 

Cops serve a purpose but that purpose seems to becoming less and less a part of the job. Protect and serve has morphed into harass and intimidate. 

12 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Not all cops are bad, of course, but the best thing for the public to remember in the back of their mind is that the police are NOT necessarily there to help you.

If you ever get arrested, do what the cops do: no poly, no statement, no waiver.

DO NOT SAY ANYTHING. As the Miranda warning says, "anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you." Nothing you say will be used FOR you. 

Truth