Yelp

shakahorn

I opened the Yelp app today and discovered there's a new restaurant over by the mall called Zoup! that I didn't know about. It probably just opened in the last month. It's been that long since I drove by there. It's a soup and sandwich place. They also serve "bowls" so I'm betting that it's probably built on the Chopotle model. There were only three reviews, all too glowingly positive to take seriously. But I'll probably try it out soon just to see how it is. I'll keep my expectations low. 

I went to their website. They started in Detroit, their first franchise was in Ann Arbor. Sounds sketchy. But I like a good bowl of soup so I'll give it a shot. 

We have a few Zoups in my area, and I would often go there for lunch. 

It used to be awesome, but their corporate management keeps fucking with things that aren't broken and making them worse. For example, they used to have a bunch of different bread types, and they were all good. Then they slowly started getting rid of them, one by one. Then they switched to only having some terrible shitass ciabatta that always seems stale. 

If you ever check it out, don't get too attached to any one thing, because those buttfucks will eventually tweak it into terribleness or just flat out get rid of it. 

But the 10-15 different soups each day are usually good. Or at least they were before I finally got fed up with their bullshit and vowed never to return. 

In conclusion, fuck Yelp and fuck Zoup. 

I tried Zoup! today. It definitely just opened in the past few weeks. It's in the building that used to house the Sears Tire and Auto Shop. There's also a Starbucks, an AT&T Store, and something else I didn't catch the name of. 

It was about what I was expecting. A Chipotle for soups and sandwiches. None of the soups looked very appealing. I went with the gumbo. It was pretty lame. It was supposed to have chicken and sausage in it. I couldn't identify any sausage. There was a lot of shredded meat that I took to be chicken, and there were larger cubes that were fibrous like chicken but seemed kind of like processed mystery meat. I had to add a good bit of habanero Tabasco in order to give it some kick. I wouldn't order that stuff ever again. 

I also got a half Southwest Turkey sandwich. The bun wasn't too bad. There wasn't a lot of meat. The best thing about the chipotle mayo was that there wasn't too much of it. I really couldn't taste the chipotle. I wouldn't order that sandwich again. I don't think I'd trust them to make a decent club sandwich either so I doubt I'll ever go back. 

I'd give them 2 stars. 

On 12/10/2018 at 5:18 PM, Gil Bang said:

Pizza place in my town is highest rated in the CA by Yelp.  

It's average at best. 

Along with this, we ate at some bar/grill type place in San Francisco a few weeks ago.  Five star Yelp reviews everywhere.  Place sucked ass and was over priced.

I suspect something like the OP was going on here.