2017-2018 PGA Tour

bigup2dahorns

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

that new scoring system is complete garbage 

Never cared for any of the fedex scoring system. How can a man that has won two majors in a year not win it versus a guy without any wins with the exception of maybe the final tournament of the year. Either make the final tournament a major or score the majors the same as the final tournament. Reward your majors winner. IE, East-lake is terrific.

Never cared for any of the fedex scoring system. How can a man that has won two majors in a year not win it versus a guy without any wins with the exception of maybe the final tournament of the year. Either make the final tournament a major or score the majors the same as the final tournament. Reward your majors winner. IE, East-lake is terrific.

How can an NFL team go 18-0 and not just get handed the Super Bowl?!

You either want playoffs or you don’t. But to have playoffs where the winner is predetermined by the regular season isn’t really playoffs, is it? It’s more like an all star game.

I think what you’re describing is the Player of the Year

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

How can an NFL team go 18-0 and not just get handed the Super Bowl?!

You either want playoffs or you don’t. But to have playoffs where the winner is predetermined by the regular season isn’t really playoffs, is it? It’s more like an all star game.

So you're saying you like the scoring system. So if a team goes all year and just finishes close each game they can still win the Super Bowl.

This scoring also makes winning a major pretty much irrelevant.

I don’t hate it. I can’t think of a better system off the top of my head. Conceptually it seems right. Majors are worth 10-20% more than other tourneys.

Some guys want to see match play brackets. I get the logic, but it’s not the game they normally play, so it seems off to me.

Match play is the truest form of golf.  I hate that we have almost completely gone away from it in the US.  Maybe the first couple of playoff events are used as qualifiers and the final is match play.  It would actually make you have to win to win the Fed Ex Cup.   

"Even though Tiger won, does it really count since there were only 30 guys in the field?  It's not a real tournament."
Guarantee some dumb ass like Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd or Jim Rome will have this "hot take" tomorrow.

I guarantee you it was going to be put in this very thread
  • Like 1

I actually think the new scoring makes sense. It might be lopsided in some years, but it guarantees the winner of this tounament is the winner of the FedEx Cup, which makes a lot more sense. Additionally, the players know exactly where they stand going into and during the tournament - there's no playing and hoping that someone else finishes outside the top 5 or top 10, etc. It's easier for fans to follow. I'm working and only kind of paying attention and I have no idea what needs to happen for Tiger to win the FEC - although I'm sure they've said. The average fan just wants to tune in and see who wins. It might not be perfect, but I think its a step to make it easier to understand and better for the players to know where things stand. What if BDC shot a 61 today - would he then be the winner? It would depend on a lot of different factors like where Justin Rose, Tony Finau, Dustin Johnson end up and there's no way to really figure that out easily without them telling you where they stand. Its completely dependent on other players who are finishing 10th or 15th or  whatever.

The new system will be more clear for everyone. I actually think they should drop the point system and just make it a 4 tournament, tournament. If they want to adjust the scores based on some weighting system for each tournament, then they could do that too. 1x for the NT and DT, 1.5x for the BMW and 2x for the TC. Just make the adjustment after each tournament so everyone knows where they stand, e.g., someone is -10 for the NT, then it is -5 for the FEC, same with the DT. The BMW would be -7.5 (rounded to -8) and -10 for the TC. So if they shoot -10 (-5), -10 (-5), -10 (-8), -10 (-10), they end up -28 for the FEC. With that method, the scoring is standardized each week to the TC and the scores are just the scores and the winner of the TC wins the FEC. The added benefit is someone can come from WAY back like Tiger is doing and actually win because his score matters, not just that he won. Right now, he probably won't win because Ricky Fowler and Billy Horschel didn't end up finishing with a couple more birdies to finish ahead of Justin Rose in the TC.

Edited by HoustonHorn

That fucking explanation does nothing. Does that mean that Justin Rose needs to bogey a hole? Less than one stroke of what? How does DJ birdie the last hole and finish in 2nd place alone vs. tied with Horschel? Horschel is at -8. Is Horschel still playing? What is he doing on 18? Is he making a bogey?

Edited by HoustonHorn